10 gallon questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody! Ok I'm new to the fish keeping hobby but I'm already addicted haha I'm just really interested in learning how to maintain an environment for fish that is both healthy and beautiful. I've done a lot of research and I know everyone says that the bigger the aquarium, the easier it is to keep but I already own a 10 gallon aquarium so looks like that's what I'll be starting out with! I have already purchased all the equipment necessary and I also bought the API master test kit which I have been using for about a month to test the parameters. The cycle looks to be completed considering ammonia nitrite and nitrate have been at 0 for a full week. The tank is ready to be stocked finally!! I really would like to keep one species of schooling fish such as the neon or cardinal tetra but I've read in some places that a 10 gallon might be too small for them. What is everyones thought on that?? And does anybody have any other suggestions of another species that would thrive in a 10 gallon?? I know a Betta would but that just bores me haha I want something more intriguing!! Haha anyway thanks for the advice!!

Jsmith

jsmith24 said:
Hey everybody! Ok I'm new to the fish keeping hobby but I'm already addicted haha I'm just really interested in learning how to maintain an environment for fish that is both healthy and beautiful.

Welcome to the addiction, er, hobby. :p

jsmith24 said:
I have already purchased all the equipment necessary and I also bought the API master test kit which I have been using for about a month to test the parameters. The cycle looks to be completed considering ammonia nitrite and nitrate have been at 0 for a full week. The tank is ready to be stocked finally!!

That seems a bit odd to me. If you've fully cycled, it should read 0ppm ammonia, 0pmm nitrItes, and 10ppm+ nitrAtes. You may want to go back and retest to be sure there are no nitrAtes in the tank at all.

jsmith24 said:
I really would like to keep one species of schooling fish such as the neon or cardinal tetra but I've read in some places that a 10 gallon might be too small for them. What is everyones thought on that?? And does anybody have any other suggestions of another species that would thrive in a 10 gallon??

I have a 10g that I'm currently cycling, and I intend to put cardinal tetras in it. Neon tetras and cardinal tetras would be fine in there; in fact, the majority of tetra fish should be just fine in a 10g (bleeding heart, red eye, black neon, etc). You'll probably not want to put a school of more than 6 fish in the tank though, unless that's the only fish you'll have in it.

+1 James in MN on your water parameters not showing nitrates - the tank should always have nitrates of 20ppm or less which is the end of the nitrogen cycle and I agree on the stocking question - the smaller tetras would work well in a smaller tank because they don't get very big and they're colorful.

Ok thanks for the advice guys, went back and checked the nitrate levels and it read 5 ppm. Is this too low or is this suitable to put fish in?? Also if I got 6 neon or cardinal tetra what could I put with those?? I was wanting to get some sort of algae eater, what is you guys opinion on that??

Ok I went back and tested nitrate levels and it tested at 5 ppm is this too low is is it suitable to put fish in?? Also if I got 6 neon or cardinal tetra what would be a good species to put with them?? I was wanting an algae eater as well what is you guys opinion on that?? Thanks!

Jsmith

That should be fine for fish. You could do some guppies! Not many algae eaters fit in a ten gallon, but you could do a few ottos, or maybe a Siamese algae eater. No plecos for that size tank, but you could do some nerite snails or some shrimp.

Shrimp sound interesting I might try some of those!! Ok now I have a question about live plants, my local pet store doesn't sell anyone aquatic plants is there any place online that actually ships plants or would my only option be to drive somewhere with a better pet store??

There are lots of places online that ship plants. You may be able to get trimmings from someone here on AA for cheap.

Back
Top Bottom