10 gallon stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ANELSON84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm a newbie, but while i'm doing research for my first big tank I remembered I have a 10 gallon tank that I used to use for seeding chili peppers. It is still in pristine condition, but obviously would need a wash. I was thinking that since I don't use it for seeding anymore, I could use it to have a starter tank before getting a larger one. Would 6-8 Tetras or a betta or 2 be ok for this tank? I was going to put sparse decorations in it. It is not a cube tank, but rectangle. Thanks for the help!

I would not put two bettas in the tank unless you separate them, as they will almost definitely fight. Depending on the type of tetra, you might be okay with smaller ones, like neon or cardinal.

You say your a newbie so are you up to speed on cycling the tank and tank equipment?

i've been trying to read as much as i can to get up to speed, but i'm not super confident in my knowledge. I wouldn't try a fish-in cycle since i'd probably just end up killing them. I read the almost complete cycle article from Eco23 on here as well as just about any other article for newbies here. i'm in the pool industry, so water chemistry, testing, etc. doesn't scare me. I'm just going to print out the article and make a checklist and follow those steps and I should be good right? I just have to be patient.

Yep, following a plan will help you keep track of what happens and when it should. And be patient, fishless cycles take 4-6 weeks typically ?

Yeah its killer waiting that long, if you have a good lfs around I would check with them to see if you could get some of their filter media. If you can get that and then add it to your filter at home you can instantly cycle the tank it's pretty awesome

Yeah its killer waiting that long, if you have a good lfs around I would check with them to see if you could get some of their filter media. If you can get that and then add it to your filter at home you can instantly cycle the tank it's pretty awesome
I've read that. I'm going to try that. Not much on the Southside of Atlanta, but there are a few good ones on the north side I think. Thanks!

You can yes, but if you think you might want another tank or a hospital tank it's nice to have extra media on hand.

Back
Top Bottom