10g betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 6 neons just stay behind a piece of driftwood all day, should I move them to my 10 gallon with my male betta? Will they get along. I am not sure why they do not swim around more in the 29 gallon they might be intimidated of the larger fish

ForumRunner_20111207_204154.jpg

I would just leave them for the minute. But what are the other fish in 29G? Could be imitated from other fish or scared.

6 diamond tetras, 4 dwarf neon rainbow fish, 6 cities, bn pleco

i just want to say that your betta is beautiful :)

-in my opinion a school of 6 should be fine, but if they are significantly smaller they may be intimidated/scared. also they may be getting picked on when you are not around.

IME, i have never had good luck with a male betta living with other fish, the only success i have had with this is when the other fish were there first and the betta was added into their territory. but IMO i wouldnt move them, the chance of them surviving is not that great, IME, because they are much smaller than the betta. the only fish i ever saw a betta be content with other fish was a male betta living freely with a group of angles at a LFS. i bought him because i was amazed, i had him in a 10g tank. i tried to added tank mates 3 times. they all were killed by my betta (poor fish keeping i know, i was 16yo it was my 1st fish)

** just curious have you ever considered getting live plants?

I have live plants in my 29 gallon. I think I have to upgrade the lights in my 10 gallon to add plants. Maybe in the future I will. I want to eventually change the substrate in the 10 gallon.

Should I increase the school of neons? Maybe they are intimidated because the 4 rainbow fish and 6 diamonds swim together. So all 10 are skimming together. The neons are only 6 of them

I think it sounds nice to have them in with the betta. I know others have had problems with the bettas, but they all have their own personalities, and the only way to find out is to try. I have a male betta in with two male black mollies and two glowlight Tetras. They all hang out together and never chase or nip fins.

Update on the neons... they still hide behind the driftwood all day. Should I get more to increase their school? Its lime I don't even have them in the tank

If they were my tanks, I would try putting them in with the betta. Do it on a day when you can watch them for a couple hours to make sure the betta doesn't pick on them.

Back
Top Bottom