125 gallon salt water build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) ty. I'm excited too. Getting my biocubes was enough to get me to go bigger with salt water lol. I'm putting the filter on the tank today and will hold off on the UV steralizer till after the tank cycles. 2 of the power heads that came with my set up are not working so I need to see if I can fix them or if I need to buy new ones. I'm excited for this build. Just will be interesting to see how it ends up being stocked. The wife wants to do corals but with some of the fish we want it isn't the best mix. We have around a month to decide though.

Thank ya both very much. Will deff keep updates coming. I can't wait to see fish in there lol. But I will go slow and make sure the tank is cycled before I add.

Thank ya both very much. Will deff keep updates coming. I can't wait to see fish in there lol. But I will go slow and make sure the tank is cycled before I add.

Yep, slow and steady wins the race. :) You will have fish in no time!

just finish raising salinity then starting to cycle. And add another power head or 2

mdavidson said:
:) ty. I'm excited too. Getting my biocubes was enough to get me to go bigger with salt water lol. I'm putting the filter on the tank today and will hold off on the UV steralizer till after the tank cycles. 2 of the power heads that came with my set up are not working so I need to see if I can fix them or if I need to buy new ones. I'm excited for this build. Just will be interesting to see how it ends up being stocked. The wife wants to do corals but with some of the fish we want it isn't the best mix. We have around a month to decide though.

I was having the same dilemma about whether to go fowlr or reef. I love lionfish and some of the non reef safe butterflyfish but i love that chromis live in the acros and my foxface has decided to host my kenya tree! Go figure. So we decided to go reef with some schools like chromis and anthias. I want to mimic their natural environment as much as possible. I am not only going reef but going peaceful as well so that really limits me but i am doing my research to see what fish school in what depth so if i get some semi aggressive fish maybe they will be in a different part of the tank and not bother the passive fish. Lots to think about!

That's really where we are now. She wants a racoon butterfly and snow flake eel and I want a dwarf lionfish, but corals do add a ton to the tank. Plus would love to see a pair of clowns with an anemone eventually and a small school of firefish and bangii cardinals. It makes a hard choice. I may see if I can talk her into letting me start a 55 or so gallon tank with the lionfish eel and several others.

mdavidson said:
That's really where we are now. She wants a racoon butterfly and snow flake eel and I want a dwarf lionfish, but corals do add a ton to the tank. Plus would love to see a pair of clowns with an anemone eventually and a small school of firefish and bangii cardinals. It makes a hard choice. I may see if I can talk her into letting me start a 55 or so gallon tank with the lionfish eel and several others.

You can get a dwarf lion or even a full size one as long as you have fish large enough to not be eaten. They don't eat corals.

foo man choo? lions. anyway they only get 4 inch long... reef safe and the fact that they dont get so big should help on fish loss.

If its a fu man chu you want, id hold off. Although small enough, they are prob the hardest lion to keep. I've heard of some horror stories

I was looking at some of the dwarfs and even considered the Fu man Chu. But that would mean anything that could fit in its mouth is in trouble. Meaning firfish cleaner shrimp etc. I may do this one as a reef and try an talk the wife into a smaller one for the lionfish.

If its a fu man chu you want, id hold off. Although small enough, they are prob the hardest lion to keep. I've heard of some horror stories
didnt know that. thanks brent. i kinda thought about it but im too much of a novice to say i could keep one.

Back
Top Bottom