14 gallon reef tank making progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't do a dragonet in a 14, very difficult fish to keep, especially in nanos.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You think? They are so tiny. Is it mostly feeding that makes them difficult?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ya, dragonets don't have normal "stomachs" and need to hunt pretty much constantly. They need large mature systems with lots of rock for the best chance at survival, even if they are eating prepared foods they need to be fed multiple times daily and there's also no guarantee they won't revert to their old ways. While they are my personal favorite fish, they really don't do well in aquariums unfortunately

Maybe I'll just get more corals then ? any of these others look like a good deal that would work in my 14? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418410895.660269.jpg

What's your current stock? A nice little YCG for $4 is a good deal

Wow blue spot jaws for $70...and potters angels for $36. That's unreal

What's your current stock? A nice little YCG for $4 is a good deal

I have a black ice clown, three stripe damsel, cleaner shrimp, tuxedo urchin, 4 snails and 3 hermits. I am considering exchanging out the damsel because they sometimes chase each other around but other times seem just fine so haven't committed to that yet. The little yellow gobies are cute, I was just hoping for some more interesting markings/color. I've been reading about the mandarins and dragonet feedings, any experience with "growing" your own pods? I have a lot of speghetti worms too, any idea if they will eat those? I really am kind of sick of seeing them.

Wow blue spot jaws for $70...and potters angels for $36. That's unreal

I'm hoping some of the corals are on as steep of a discount this weekend too! They usually are really good on pricing anyway and frags are generally a decent size. So far I have been happy with them.

Poor guy couldn't decide which hat to wear today so he's wearing two :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418420345.676071.jpg

So funny. I love my little Yellow Clown Goby! They love to lounge on soft stuff like Mushrooms and now my Leather. Good luck on Coral hunting, I hear it can get dangerous.

Got a few goodies.

Purple hornets maybe? This pic looks redder than they do in person ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418497718.448853.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418497783.530983.jpg

Blasto
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418497816.955280.jpg

One of my LFS just reopened in a new location this week and is stocking up. He is asking what people want to see. He said he could get me a green clown goby for $15, so I think I'm going to go with that as my 3rd/last fish. I'd like to get some sexy shrimp which he said he could also get. I hear they like groups of at least three, is this right? I have a cleaner shrimp, most people say they can be compatible in the same tank. Anyone oppose that?? And since they are technically an anemone shrimp do they require an anemone to thrive because I will more than likely never have an anemone in this tank...maybe down the road in an upgrade.

They do best in odd numbers IME. And no the cleaner won't mess with them, and they're way to fast for hermits

Been a long time off the grid! Everyone made it through the holiday except my cleaner shrimp :(. My heater went out at some point and temp got pretty low, lucky he was the only victim. My crabs had a nice snack of him. I was a little slack with WC so my GHA is growing again and is targeting my zoas ? will be battling that over the next few weeks!! Spent some much needed TLC time on my tank today and rewarded myself with a new ric. My orange ric also split and after a long time trying to carefully look under rocks I realized the other half was in the opposite back side of the tank. Think I may leave it there for now to add a different color on that side. My tank is on a ledge between my kitchen and living room so I really want every side to look like a "full tank shot". Below is a pic of my new pick up today, he just got them delivered this morning so we will see how it colors up and spreads out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420838060.855493.jpg

Side tank shot

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420838275.938237.jpg

Other side tank shot

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420838310.838131.jpg

Couple random...will upload a front FTS after I may some progress on the GHA mission.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420838359.104927.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420838372.204828.jpg

Tanks looking good Sand Dollar!! The one thing that stands out to me is the color of just everything, coming together beautifully :)

Been a long time since I've updated this thread. Been busy and have had a tough time with the tank. GHA nearly got the best of me and the tank, I could hardly stand to look at it and really only did during water changes. I lost my clown too ?, one day he just started hiding behind the power head and anytime she came out my three stripe damsel would attack. My tank is about 9 months now. Last week, I finally decided to get aggressive and took out my rocks and tediously pulled algae off with tweezers and toothbrush, things are looking much better. Also decided to return my damsel so I could get peaceful fish. LFS didn't have a good selection last week so I'm fishless for now. I may try again this weekend. I'm thinking purple firefish, a blenny (maybe tailspot) and still trying to get a little green clown goby if anyone will ever get one in stock. I did pick up a sexy shrimp, few more snails and a lettuce nudi. Here are some photos of the tank, a few of my smaller zoa colonies were overtaken by the algae ? but I still have some decent colonies left, including my Rastas which have had some good growth!!
Lettuce Nudi
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427927159.755028.jpg
Sexy shrimp
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427927274.554205.jpg
Rics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427927345.553410.jpg
Rasta growth!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427927367.720760.jpg
Duncan has tripled
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427927386.420494.jpg

All the things you have pics of are great! Things are getting better after the cleaning and trying to keep up on things can be trying. Especially when you don't even wan't to LOOK at the tank.

The Rastas look fab and that lettuce Nudi is amazing!

Welcome back Sand Dollar!! Glad to see you didn't give up and the growth is great!

Back
Top Bottom