16 gallon nuvo stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amitas

Aquarium Advice Activist
In about a month I am getting a 16 gallon nuvo, and I am trying to figure out stocking. My goal is to create and incredible nano reef with beautiful corals. So far I have my rock structure built and I know I want a pair of clowns (species undecided however), and my shortspine urchin from my current reef. Any input on things to add would be greatly appreciate, just let me know what you guys think would be cool.
This is my rock structure for the tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403309772.155044.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403309891.328762.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403309945.325483.jpg

Nice rock structure....I really like that!

As far as stocking you want to watch your bio-load. Two clowns may be too much for a 16 gallon. Many places say you should not have a clown unless your tank is 20 gallons or more because they will get bigger.

Corals, inverts have a low bio-load so you can get a good amount in a 16g.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your tank :)

Thanks I tried to get a natural reef look for the structure and plan out my coral placement.

It really depends on the species of clowns, I wouldn't keep any of the Premnas sp. In a tank smaller than 30 gallons, how ever fish from the genus amphiprion are good as long as adequate filtration is provided, water changes, and you avoid over feeding.

Just got access to some beautiful red dragon acropora frags, so one of those might find it's place on a rock once the tank is set up and stable.

Clarkiis, tomatoes, seabes all get to large. They are all from the genus amphiphiron and will not work. I'd go with ocellaris if you want clowns. What lighting are you using over the tank?

Sorry completely forgot those guys were in the amphiprion genus (dumb moment of the day) It will either be ocellaris or percs. For lighting I will use a dual T5 fixture, as to which one I haven't decided yet, need to find one that will supply enough PAR for the SPS to thrive

Dual t5s aren't going to be enough, 4-6 bulb units should be what your looking for.

The tank layout is only 24"x8-1/2" so really you can't have more than two bulbs, the key is just to make sure it's a powerful system, and it helps that the acro will only be 3" from the light where as in an average tank they are anywhere from 8"-25"

Love the structure! I have the same tank. The only downside I found was the lack of width for rocks + sandbed. I have a clown, yellow banded wrasse. Tail spot blennies are cool, green banded gobies. What kind of corals u gonna do?

Yeah we have one set up at work and I love it, really good for a nice simple nano. I'm thinking some Rasta zoas, blue hornets, orange ricordea, some of the pink hammer coral, blueberry gorgonian, maybe a torch, red dragon acropora, acropora tortuosa, and probably a monti sp. Might add to or take away from this list though

Please don't buy a blueberry gorg. They're non photo and have the absolute worst survival record in captivity. Keeping one in a non photo tank is already impossible. Keeping it in a low nutrient tank would be beyond impossible

Gorgonians are easy you just have to target feet them at night when the polyps come out.

Gorgonians are easy you just have to target feet them at night when the polyps come out.

Please do some research on the blueberry gorg and its upkeep. It literally has the worst record in captivity. From what I understand it needs 6-8 times daily feeding. And even then it dies. Just not an appropriate aquarium species. If you want one get a photosynthetic one, much much much easier
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/336008-blueberry-gorgonian-acalycigorgia-care-and-culture/
Do some research on this species. Everyone out there keeping it says it wastes away. Also by feeding it you will be sacrificing water quality an your acropora will suffer.

I have done research and cared for many non photosynthetic gorgonians. The trick is the fact that they are nocturnal, while they do put out a few polyps during the day, during the night they put out the majority of their polyps and feed then, so if you target feed them at night, they catch a lot more food and are able to thrive within the aquarium. Also the food doesn't settle and turn into ammonia. I wouldn't recommend them to someone who won't be able to care for their tank at night though.

In a 16 gallon, feeding the gorg and maintaining water quality for the acro will not work out. Did you keep them alive for over a year? Two years, three?

I have kept mine for almost a year, however I have learned how to keep them from people who have had success for several years. A lot of animals and plants have reputations as being impossible to keep in closed systems, I believe that it's not that they are impossible but, that they require specific things that either we haven't discovered or are unaware of. Simple research in studies of how the organism behaves in the wild and it's biology can shed a lot of light on how to have the organism thrive in captivity. I would never consider keeping an animal I didn't feel would thrive in my aquarium.

Good luck, I'd rather just leave it in the ocean where it will definitely survive.

If we go by that logic how can we ever study these organisms and learn how to better protect them in the wild? In my opinion Aquariums are not only for our enjoyment they are means to educate us and create an appreciation so that we can be inspired and learn to protect the organisms in the wild. The ability to keep these animals is a privilege that we should not take for granted and in return we should do everything we can to learn and study their needs and biology so that we may use this knowledge to ensure that they may thrive for centuries to come.

I agree with bribo, nps and sps (especially acros) are very tough to do in the same tank. I'd pick one and go that route. Just my $.02

I have kept mine for almost a year, however I have learned how to keep them from people who have had success for several years. A lot of animals and plants have reputations as being impossible to keep in closed systems, I believe that it's not that they are impossible but, that they require specific things that either we haven't discovered or are unaware of. Simple research in studies of how the organism behaves in the wild and it's biology can shed a lot of light on how to have the organism thrive in captivity. I would never consider keeping an animal I didn't feel would thrive in my aquarium.

An organism that has a proven awful captivity rate is best left in the wild. Whereas organisms that can thrive we can actually study and keep in our tanks. Don't know many ppl online or off that have kept non phot gorgs over 10 years. Not much research has been done on that gorg. You've kept a non photo for a year...that's not success, you're on your way but not enough to claim non photo gorgs are easy. Many ppl online have different opinions than you when it comes to keeps nps gorgs/corals. If it was easy everyone would do it...yet not everyone is. Some animals are best left in the wild

Back
Top Bottom