16 gallon nuvo stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not saying you will fail but to claim that keeping blueberry gorgs is easy when a lot of ppl have failed is pretty ballsy. I'll be following this thread closely to see how it does and the best of luck :). But yeah keeping nps and sps in the same system will be quite difficult.

I'm not saying they are easy in the average tank, with average care given, that you would give any coral. They need to have there specific needs met

Med - flow area
Target feeding in small tanks (night time is the key to this, feeding them during the day only pollutes the water)
And they prefer to be kept on shaded areas (because of not having the need for light, they grow in low light areas and have not developed protection from harsh light)
They have a very poor survival rate because of most people are not aware of the needs and do not want to take care of a coral at 1 in the morning every day

I hope you don't think I don't respect your opinions, I just believe that when an organism isn't thriving in the conditions we provide, we shouldn't say it's impossible to keep. We should learn why it's not thriving, study where it lives, what this area provides, the nutrients it need, how it gets them, and the many other factors that make up it's biology. Once we learn these then we can replicate these factors and create a niche within our closed system that the organism can fill. Then we need to educate others about this so they may enjoy and learn as well. Honestly I wish we as aquarist would do more scientific studies and put this research and studies out for everyone to learn from. Just people telling people what works what doesn't help much, but if we prove and explain why then they can use this knowledge to benefit all the organisms they care for.

I hope you don't think I don't respect your opinions, I just believe that when an organism isn't thriving in the conditions we provide, we shouldn't say it's impossible to keep. We should learn why it's not thriving, study where it lives, what this area provides, the nutrients it need, how it gets them, and the many other factors that make up it's biology. Once we learn these then we can replicate these factors and create a niche within our closed system that the organism can fill. Then we need to educate others about this so they may enjoy and learn as well. Honestly I wish we as aquarist would do more scientific studies and put this research and studies out for everyone to learn from. Just people telling people what works what doesn't help much, but if we prove and explain why then they can use this knowledge to benefit all the organisms they care for.

No I completely agree more research should be done into some of these organisms :). I just hate seeing things die in aquarists hands, it seems you have a good grasp on the gorg. I would love to see you succeed. I just don't see how sps an feeding the gorg can work out but maybe you can make it happen. I'll be following to see how it goes and good luck :D

My thought is if u wanna try it go for it. Even just a few years ago if you told someone you were going to have a nano tank with even just a clownfish they would tell you it's impossible. My LFS back in 2009 wouldn't sell me a occ. clown for my nano. Now they sell them as nano clowns. Go figure! Good luck with the gorg. Heard they are tough but hey so are mandarins that some people keep in 20g tanks where most say that's impossible and they will slowly die. Reefing is about learning enjoyment and overcoming challenges to get the look you want. If he is up for the task of night feeding and keeping his paeans in check for a gorg then more power to ya! Beautiful species for sure!

Feeding the gorg and keeping water clean enough for acros is going to be almost impossible in a 16 gallon tank IMO. In a big system I don't doubt that it's possible but not a nano.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Often water changes of 10%
Careful target feeding
And a large clean up crew is what I needed to make it possible.

If these conditions were not met it would be very unlikely in a nano. However I know that I will be able to meet these needs.

I have decided I am going to go with a pair of CB black and white ocellaris.

Anyone have any idea what would be a good shrimp species to add?

A large clean up crew is only going to add to your bio load, and you'll more likely want to do 25-50% wc's weekly to keep the params to levels that acros thrive at. If you really want to do this, get a bigger tank, just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do 20% on my 20 gallon nano and worry if I'm doing enough to keep my sps going. They grow an keep good color but I don't put much nutrient wise into my tank. IMO acros are the most challenging photosynthetic coral. Make sure you're very on top of nutrient control. Cuc don't take nutrients out of the water, only macroalgae, a skimmer and wc do that.

CUC don't take nutrients out of the water, they are what aquarist call inverts that fulfill certain desirable niches within the closed ecosystem, the most important of these niches for this particular reference (water quality and gorgonian) would be that of the detritivore, such as hermit crabs, some sp. Of polychaete worms, and many others. That while they don't remove nutrients they remove the detritus before it turns into dissolved nutrients. Also filter feeders, my favorite being the porcelain crab will aid in removing food particles from the water column before they settle, thus added addition nutrients.

This will only be one of the components in my nutrient control, I will be running a skimmer, media reactor with sea gel, matrix bio, and a macro algae refugium.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply

Cleaner shrimp are one I'm considering, they are very interesting and friendly little guys. I've also considered a coral banded however their temperament and natural role as a predator leaves me undecided.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply

CUC don't take nutrients out of the water, they are what aquarist call inverts that fulfill certain desirable niches within the closed ecosystem, the most important of these niches for this particular reference (water quality and gorgonian) would be that of the detritivore, such as hermit crabs, some sp. Of polychaete worms, and many others. That while they don't remove nutrients they remove the detritus before it turns into dissolved nutrients. Also filter feeders, my favorite being the porcelain crab will aid in removing food particles from the water column before they settle, thus added addition nutrients.

This will only be one of the components in my nutrient control, I will be running a skimmer, media reactor with sea gel, matrix bio, and a macro algae refugium.

You stated that
"CUC don't take nutrients out of the water, they are what aquarist call inverts that fulfill certain desirable niches within the closed ecosystem,"

But then, you continue to state how detritivores, such as hermit crabs, and some species of polychaete worms, will remove detritus before it becomes a dissolved nutrient., but then when these inverts poop out the stuff they have caught and eaten, it just creates more dissolved nutrients.

I hate to say it, but you're just contradicting yourself right now, buddy! :). I'd love to see you successfully keep the gorgonian, along with SPS in the same tank, especially In a nano. However, at the moment, you haven't justified how it will be completed, to me. Good Luck, and I'll be following :).

Once the detritivores consume the detritus and organic material, the majority of the nutrients is broken down in digestion and converted into energy the animal needs to survive and carry out every day biological functions. There fore while they do emit nutrients into the water through excretion and respiration they also prevent more nutrients from entering the water than of it was just left to rot. Detritus is not immediately turned into dissolved nutrients, it has to decay first. The best option in controlling this nutrients is to remove it's source before it turns into nutrients. So to sum up of detritus is left to rot, 100% of it will turn in to oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen by products. However of the detritus is consumed, some of these components are used by the organism, then only 50% of the original dissolve nutrients are released into the water.

Back
Top Bottom