1st SW tank and some questions from a rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott F

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 37 gal tank sitting in my garage and have decided to try a FOWLR tank. I'm wondering what it is that I'll need to get this up and running so I can budget appropriately.

I've "heard" that you could operate this with a HOB and doing partial changes would be a basic set up but am wondering your thoughts on what the basic requirements would be to get this project started?

In the end it might get built up into a reef but I thought I'd start simple and go from there.

Any advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Scott

A FOWLR can pretty much run just the same as a freshwater tank..... A canister filter (or HOB) and basic light are really all you need, but SW fish are typically less tolerant of higher nitrates, so regular pwc's and proper filter maintanence are a must. If/when you decide to move up to corals, things then get a bit trickier (and more expensive) with lighting & filtration.

I've got a 37 gal tank sitting in my garage and have decided to try a FOWLR tank. I'm wondering what it is that I'll need to get this up and running so I can budget appropriately.

I've "heard" that you could operate this with a HOB and doing partial changes would be a basic set up but am wondering your thoughts on what the basic requirements would be to get this project started?

In the end it might get built up into a reef but I thought I'd start simple and go from there.

Any advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Scott

You'll need salt and RODI or RO or distilled water.
Hydrometer is ok to start with- $10-15
Master test kit for SW- $30-40
Some base rock, maybe couple pieces of LR to seed it
Basic light is fine for FOWLR
Canister or hob filter rated for at least twice the size of the tank- more would be better still.
2 or 3 power heads -$30 each
40-50# of sand
Can of spray paint to paint the back to hide wires/cords-$5
If you're good about doing weekly 10-20% PWCs, then a skimmer isn't really needed.
I have a FOWLR and a reef tank, the FOWLR is a little easier, but not by much, but it's definitely cheaper than the reef. :)

Let us know if any more questions and keep us updated on your progress!!

agree with everything on the above list apart from i don't see that you need a hob or canister filter tbh your money is much better spent of a protein skimmer which will remove excess nutrients from the water as I personally don't see the benefits of a filter plus they require a lot of maintenance to stop them turning into nitrate factories

With regular water changes, a skimmer in a tank that size isn't really needed. I have a skimmer on my 55g reef, but not in the 30g fowler and I've never had any algae outbreaks or cyano. My 30g FOWLR I just have an ac70 and ac30 and 2 PHs. My water is great, no algae ever. And the AC's are petty easy to clean in about 5-10 minutes and you can put whatever media you like in them. I have a sponge and chemipure in each. But the final decision is obviously up to you.

With regular water changes, a skimmer in a tank that size isn't really needed. I have a skimmer on my 55g reef, but not in the 30g fowler and I've never had any algae outbreaks or cyano. My 30g FOWLR I just have an ac70 and ac30 and 2 PHs. My water is great, no algae ever. And the AC's are petty easy to clean in about 5-10 minutes and you can put whatever media you like in them. I have a sponge and chemipure in each. But the final decision is obviously up to you.

Well I was looking at the AC 70 and I've got one powerhead that needs a good cleaning and another that is new so I guess I'm getting closer ;)

There's just so much info, based on personal experience, that seems to contradict so I thought asking here would be a good idea and it has been !

Thanks to everyone so far for your responses and help!

Well I was looking at the AC 70 and I've got one powerhead that needs a good cleaning and another that is new so I guess I'm getting closer ;)

There's just so much info, based on personal experience, that seems to contradict so I thought asking here would be a good idea and it has been !

Thanks to everyone so far for your responses and help!

If you go for the AC's, I would get the 110 for your size tank. The 70 would be barely big enough IMO. I have the 70 and 30 on my 30g most of the time, but the AC30 is actually the filter for the QT tank. I just leave it in the 30 to keep it seeded. keep us posted on your progress! :)

UPDATE: In searching around one of our local boards in the NW I found this !!

IMG_3128_zpsbee87115.jpg Photo by tat2d-1 | Photobucket

IMG_3126_zps51a004d9.jpg Photo by tat2d-1 | Photobucket

He sold the controller setup for the circ pumps and it doesn't come with a skimmer but it's all plumbed, wired, has a nice sump setup, 6 bulb tec lights, stand and tank (empty) for $300.00 plus a nominal fee for delivering it to me which he is 2.5 hours away.

I'm selling my i phone 4 and possibly my remington 870 so in the end I should get out of this for almost NOTHING !!!

SOOOOOOOOOOO Excited !

You say FOWLR but you'll end up with at reef. I give it 4 weeks tops... Stick with it and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom