20 Gallon long reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok i will stop the dosing and do the water change. Thank you for the story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol... I'm sorry to tell that story. I had some nice pieces. Anyway, I feel like dosing CAN be good, for example, in a very high energy SPS dominated tank that will deplete calcium levels. I also feel that dosing alk is very good for LPS, or any corals at that, however in smaller tanks you can replace trace elements fairly easily with larger water changes.

I thought I was doing my tank a service by adding alk daily, but things got out of hand quick...

Thanks Flaxon for your help. I was mainly dosing because i wasn't doing water changes every week. This tank is in my office at work so i would have to stay late to do a water change. I will be moving it home in the next couple of weeks though so that will make the water changes easier.

No problem at all. I'm not sayin dosing is bad. I'm just sayin that you should get everything back to square 1 and reassess the need for dosing, if it's even required.

I'm glad you told me that story. I was getting ready to start dosing on my 40 breeder at home. I think ill hold off on that now.

You're a lot better off doing water changes testing frequently than dosing and not testing frequently...

Usually weekly... It's a good idea to test your levels before a water change and after a water change to see what your tank is consuming.

I dose but I have a regimen I stick too. It changes every couple months though as the corals grow an take up more alk. Just be super careful as alk swings can destroy tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Flaxon and Brian. I think i will stay away from the dosing for now, at least until i understand what my tanks needs are.

I test and adjust every other day. I also use an app called Aqua Planner. It allows you to track equipment, livestock, enter test results (and trend them) and add notes. You can also set up alerts (water changes, light change out, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I test and adjust every other day. I also use an app called Aqua Planner. It allows you to track equipment, livestock, enter test results (and trend them) and add notes. You can also set up alerts (water changes, light change out, etc).

Does it graph for tracking trends? ._.

Thanks for that info. Ice been looking for a good app for my reef tanks. I just hope androids play store has it.

Did a 60% partial water change this morning. I will test again later today to see if my calcium and alkalinity has been reduced to safer levels.

Back
Top Bottom