20 Gallon Low Light Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anytime!

Well, I'm not sure if the shrimp would be safe with the gourami. You may want to look into it. I would add all the danios and snails first, wait a week, and if everything tests fine you can add half the cories and the gourami. Wait another couple of weeks and then add the rest of the cories. After a couple of good months you should be fine to have your shrimp. You could do the shrimp sooner but they like established tanks so adding them last is a good idea.

Anytime!

Well, I'm not sure if the shrimp would be safe with the gourami. You may want to look into it. I would add all the danios and snails first, wait a week, and if everything tests fine you can add half the cories and the gourami. Wait another couple of weeks and then add the rest of the cories. After a couple of good months you should be fine to have your shrimp. You could do the shrimp sooner but they like established tanks so adding them last is a good idea.

I am actually putting the Gourami last to give the shrimp a chance to grow and hopefully reproduce (fingers crossed) :)

PattyCakes81 said:
I am actually putting the Gourami last to give the shrimp a chance to grow and hopefully reproduce (fingers crossed) :)

That's an even better idea! I've never kept a honey gourami but I know they're one of the smaller ones. That may just work out. I know larger ones are almost always up for snacking on young shrimp. Adding him last will also give your plants time to grow and offer lots of hiding places for the shrimp.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you won't need to run activated carbon in a planted tank. It can remove many of the ferts that plants use.

That's an even better idea! I've never kept a honey gourami but I know they're one of the smaller ones. That may just work out. I know larger ones are almost always up for snacking on young shrimp. Adding him last will also give your plants time to grow and offer lots of hiding places for the shrimp.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you won't need to run activated carbon in a planted tank. It can remove many of the ferts that plants use.
From day one, I haven't run carbon. Just added another bag of Bio Max.
Would you happen to know how deep do I place the clay root tabs I bought?

I'd place the tabs about an inch or two under the gravel unless you like to use a gravel vac to clean your substrate (which isn't really needed). If you like to siphon out your sand then you should put them at the very bottom and take care to only clean the first inch of sand so you don't suck out the particles of the clay tabs. Siphoning can easily damage plant roots and leave them to rot in the gravel making it more dirty than it would be without siphoning. I only clean the very top surface of the sand and never put the vac "into" it. Sounds weird, but it's better for the plants.

I'd place the tabs about an inch or two under the gravel unless you like to use a gravel vac to clean your substrate (which isn't really needed). If you like to siphon out your sand then you should put them at the very bottom and take care to only clean the first inch of sand so you don't suck out the particles of the clay tabs. Siphoning can easily damage plant roots and leave them to rot in the gravel making it more dirty than it would be without siphoning. I only clean the very top surface of the sand and never put the vac "into" it. Sounds weird, but it's better for the plants.
Thanks for your response. Most of the substrate is going to be planted (I ordered more plants :-D) but nothing like a carpet. Today I woke up to zero ammonia and nitrite. And lots of nitrates.

Woo-hoo! :D Zeros again today! Going to dose up one more time. Not going to dose tomorrow. It's the day before fish arrive. Also doing at least a 90% WC tomorrow.
ForumRunner_20130218_111905.jpg
I think fishkeeping is one of the few things in life that we want ZEROS! Also I have notice that my pH had been stabilize since the cycle has been complete!
ForumRunner_20130218_111932.jpg
Can't wait, 2 more days! My fishy come, Yay!

Today is the day! The fish arrive! :-D
Can't wait. They arrive by 3pm. Did a 90% WC last night and parameters are optimal!
ForumRunner_20130220_123903.jpg
ForumRunner_20130220_123919.jpg
Once again my pH has stabilize since cycle was completed.

My fishes came! They are so little. Already drip acclimated them. The Corydora habrosus are all over the place. The red cherry shrimp are doing their thing. The CPDs at first were in a corner hiding in the Vals.

UPDATE: Fishes doing great. CPD are hiding little but it was to be expected. We have new growth on the huge Anubias:
ForumRunner_20130221_104240.jpg
The Vals are not doing so good
ForumRunner_20130221_104432.jpg
FTS before additional plants coming later on today.
ForumRunner_20130221_104550.jpg
ForumRunner_20130221_104620.jpg
Will update after planting new plants!
Thanks for following! :-D

Yay for fish! My vals aren't doing so great either, can't figure out why! There are little mini runners though!

As promised, Tank pics after new plants added.
ForumRunner_20130221_174839.jpg
ForumRunner_20130221_174854.jpg
ForumRunner_20130221_174907.jpg
ForumRunner_20130221_174920.jpg
ForumRunner_20130221_174933.jpg
ForumRunner_20130221_174944.jpg
1st Pic-FTS
2nd Pic-Cryptocoryne Nevillii and Cryptocoryne Mi Oya
3rd Pic-Crypt Parva
4th Pic-Tiny Anubias Petite
5th Pic-Part of Echinodorus ‘Kleiner Prinz’ Sword*
6th Pic-Zebra, Olive, and Red Spot Nerite Snails