20 gallon standard stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I stock Cory cats, neon tetras, and shrimp together in a 20 gallon standard? If so how many can I have of each. Thank you for any input.

You can probably have 5-6 cories, and everyone tells me that mollies need 29 gallons, thats not true, I have 3 in my 20 gallon and they are fine, IMO dont do shrimp, unless you REALLY want to

Where did the mollies come from? Are they already in the tank? And they should be fine if the tank is planted any. Sometimes the neon will pick at the baby shrimp if they are any of the dwarf species.

Edit: they as in the shrimp. Sorry for not making that clear.

I didn't say mollies I said neon tetras. I'm guessing they were using mollies as an example maybe?

IMO mollies should be in a 20 gallon minimum, 29 gallon minimum for two. There are some who would disagree with me on that.

But he didn't bring up mollies.

I would do 7-8 neon tetras, 6-8 cories (I would say panda for a 20 gallon), and as many shrimp as you want. No one said he didn't want shrimp. RCS, CRS, amanos, yellows, Tawain blues, and orange mandarins are some nice ones I like, but it's all personal preference.

Atxpunx said:
I didn't say mollies I said neon tetras. I'm guessing they were using mollies as an example maybe?

I know you didn't say them thats what confused me. Haha. But yes, they should get along fine unless the shrimp breed. Then like I said, the babies will probably be eaten unless there are hiding places.

Why pandas? I had ghost shrimp bit I can't seem to keep them. I'm gonna save up for cherry shrimp. Can corys be mixed and matched? I don't want to.

IMO pandas seem to be the only common cories out there that will fit in a 20 gallon. You could also try peppered cories. Albino and bronze cories are iffy with most people, so I won't say if they go in a twenty gallon or not. Pygmaeus and hastaus cories are small as well and you could have quite a bit in a 20, but they are hard to find.

Cories can be mixed and matched, provided you have at least four of each species. Then they'll sorta "hang out".

I do want everyone to breed! :) especially the shrimp. I have a lot of lava rock in my tank, when I did have ghost shrimp they hid in all sorts ways inside the lava rock. This is what I gor

Attachments

• image-3069065723.jpg
    image-3069065723.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 95
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna get these from Walmart and all they have is bronze and albinos. I don't like the albinos plus I've read they're susceptible to blindness. What is a bronze Corys Max size and minimal tank size?

Atxpunx said:
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna get these from Walmart and all they have is bronze and albinos. I don't like the albinos plus I've read they're susceptible to blindness. What is a bronze Corys Max size and minimal tank size?

My bronze cories are around 2-3 inches are long. The females are bigger and rounder.

Minimum tank size could be 30 gallons, but you could get away with 3-4 in a 20. Some people will disagree with me there however.

Okay....they had 3 bronze corys, 5 neon tetras, and a rubin sword. Accimilateing!

Good to know there are no deaths yet. :) Fishkeeping yields very different opinions, so we do not always agree on everything. I personally agree with bruinsbro that a few bronze corys are ok in a 20g. :) If you can eventually get a 4th cory and a few more neons, that would be great.
Put up pictures if you are able.

Still no deaths! I was getting some stuff at walmart and saw they stocked up on neons so I got five more. So far the stock list is 10 neon tetras, three bronze Cory cats and I think two ghost shrimp.

Attachments

• image-3547861223.jpg
    image-3547861223.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 71
I'm paranoid that the heater will malefaction if I completely submerge it. Idk how old it is seeing as I got it for free. That is why I don't fill it up. :(

I different view of the tank. You can kinda see my new neons.

Attachments

• image-2110403629.jpg
    image-2110403629.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom