28 Gallon SW Build...hopefully...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so i believe there is 35-40lbs of base rock in there...gonna go out today hopefully and pick up some LR.

How many pounds should i get?

Should i have the powerheads, skimmer on in tandum with the filter?

I have about a 3.5-4 inch sand bed, should i just have LR rubble and chaeto in my fuge? Or should i have sand in there as well?

I have sand in my refugium along with rock and macro. :)

I would let everything run as normal, thats what I did. Even left my skimmer going.

If you go by the "rules" you should have 1.5 to 2.0 lbs of rock for every gallon. So I would guess maybe 10lbs ish? It's kinda up to you on that one, you don't want the tank to be all rock but yet you want enough rock to do the filtering.

Ok awesome...i could always get more LR and remove some BR.

Carey does the rock set up look more pleasing to the eye?

yep, todays formation looks better than the original at least in my opinion. Still a little iffy on the right hand large rock on top. Maybe with some other rock, the LR you are going to get it will form out a bit more. And yep, you can put the extra base rock in your refugium or save some to break up for gluing coral frags to.

Are you saying it should be moved to a different location? Does it look out of place you think?

Not out of place, just a tad uneven. The rocks underneath it are jutting it up a bit high. LOL This is just my opinion though, the question is do you like it?

Don't be surprised if you're still re arranging rock a month from now, I still re arrange, always trying to better what I thought was "THE" final scape. Once you get the rest of your rock I'm sure you'll do some major rearranging. We all do it hehe... the average person is never satisfied

LOL, I set my rock up in about 5 minutes the first time, made one minor change a week or so later and have never touched it again. And best of all, I like it. LOL Now maybe others won't agree but I am the one looking at it all the time so tough. :)

I totally agree. Suggestions are good and can help but it comes down to what you like and not anyone else.

I agree but i like to get people opinions that have done this so i dont make any rookie miatakes...but i guess that is the point of learning...is to make mistakes and correct them.

Water ia still a bit cloudy...should I run the filter to see if that clears it up?

I would run whatever stuff you plan on running now. Can't hurt and will heklp clear it up a bit

+1 I agree with Carey. Run it as if it were completely set up. The only thing I would consider not running is the lights but only to save a little on electricity. Although, From the day I put water in my tank I had the lights on because even that looked better than a dark tank.

I agree...turning everything on now. Dont have my real lights yet but i have a spare LED cheapo light from Marineland that lights up the tank nicely. Just waiting for the tv and internet guy to leave and ill be off to buy my LR.

I sure do...finally have TV, internet, football and of course my tank to play with...wooot woooot!!!

And my new dog will be here in 2 weeks! Like wild kingdom here!!!

I sure do...finally have TV, internet, football and of course my tank to play with...wooot woooot!!!

And my new dog will be here in 2 weeks! Like wild kingdom here!!!

Lots of life changes all at once. LOL Should have spread them out so you could "Savor" each one. LOL Naaaa, on second thought, go for it. (y)

Ok skimmer is up and running...produces lots of micro bubbles on the outlet...anyone have any ways to reduce it?

Skimmer in action

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110924_151848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110924_151848.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20110924_151951.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110924_151951.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 75
Got 20lbs of LR. Did a quick scape but i dont like it...been working on the tank all day and the crock pot smells too good...lol.

PH are in...flow seems decent, but i dont have anything in there yet so i cant tell.

Definately will need the smaller impeller on the filter the flow causes way too many micro-bubbles.

What else do i need to keep the bacteria fed? Ammonia? Shrimp? Lol...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110924_173806.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110924_173806.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom