29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to see you still have the forktail Rainbows! I agree on cutting the CO2. A few years ago I gasses mine :(
The rainbows are, by a narrow margin, my favorite. I love how they play and flair.
I wish my kuhli’s would snack on a few. Are your kuhli’s getting big and fat yet?
A couple look like patterned earthworms with mouse faces. They love to snuggle with each other.

20180103_184955-01.jpg

It's been a bit.

Yesterday one of the rainbows was swimming sideways. It got caught in the filter outflow and was pushed into the sagittaria sublata. I went to remove her, and she decided she was not interested in going anywhere. I can no longer tell which fish had been behaving strangely, and I haven't seen her do anything like that again.

I witnessed a snailicide. I'm not sure what the impetus was, but two snails went at it and only one left the scene.

Mostly it's nice and calm, which makes sitting and watching really nice. We still find ramshorns pretty much every day, which is disappointing. Those snails are invincible.

I changed the water a couple of hours ago. Everything was fine until maybe half an hour ago when all of the young mystery snails hit the water line.

20180106_133926.jpg
20180106_133930.jpg
20180106_133934.jpg

All of them. What's happening?

Breeding I bet. Sometimes they are so busy someone runs out of air.
Wow - never seen snails do that! Was it road rage??

It started out looking like breeding. It was really strange and honestly pretty upsetting.

Are they feeding at the waterline? Sometimes the debris from stirring the tank is tasty. If they are pulled in the water parameters changed a lot. Or too much conditioner?

Are they feeding at the waterline? Sometimes the debris from stirring the tank is tasty. If they are pulled in the water parameters changed a lot. Or too much conditioner?
Ahha. I did scrub the glass especially well this time. They are not pulled in.

That's funny. I thought they were in distress, not chomping away at loosened up algae.

I notice if I top up above the evaporation line. Critters migrate to the top. There must be something tasty when evaporation residue is rewetted.

Poor Beatrix
20180109_121612-01.jpeg
20180109_121602-01.jpeg

I put her in the isolation box, and... She's laying an egg.
20180109_150308-01.jpeg

On the other side of the tank, everybody is enjoying a leek.
20180109_121553-01.jpeg

You’ve had a snailsplosion! Post an ad for them. Some hungry fish or sand bed could use them.

Back
Top Bottom