35 gallon overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dersguan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just bought a 35 gallon they were already fishes in it but it was a hell of a deal. I really think the tank is overstocked what are your thought ? The tank is stocked as followed
·1 Goldfish, a normal I think, but I'm not sure
·7 tetras, the seller said there was 6 neons and 1 lemon, but they all seem neons to me
·1 Angel fish
·1 red-tailed black shark
·1 pleco, I don't know if he's a commun or something else

Yes it's overstocked. The goldfish and(I believe) red tailed catfish need to be rehomed.
Do you have a picture of the pleco so it can be identified?
The angelfish might be ok but it will probably eat your neon tetras once it gets bigger.

There is the pleco. Is it a common or something that I need to take out of the tank ?received_192198345452073.jpg

Well common plecos get huge and need around 100 gallons. This looks like either a common pleco or a leopard pleco (which also gets around 20").
I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Thank you, what are the possible solution for those fishes, like the pleco, the goldfish and the red-tailed shark ? Do you know where or how can they find a new home ? I never rehomed fish so I would appreciate advice. :)

Local fish stores will often take fish in for store credit. You can also look online to see if you can find other aquarium hobbyists in your area with larger tanks, or a fish club. I personally use kijiji and have had both good/bad (they didn't show up) experiences with it.
If you like plecos you can get a dwarf species like a bristlenose, clown or rubbernose. Corydoras are also a fun fish if you get at least 6.
Once you give away/sell the bigger fish you can increase your neon school or add another schooling fish to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom