36 gallon build plus stocking ??s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a 36 gallon bowfront tank. I haven't been able to begin the cycle yet because I don't have the stand built yet (a cabinet maker friend of ours is making one). But I'm having a hard time figuring out the stock. I was hoping for a larger tank to have more discus, but all I could afford was a 36. So I was thinking dwarf gouramis but idk how they do in groups and whatnot. If they do well, I was thinking of doing a few of them and a small school of some colorful tetra and some nerite snails. What do you guys think?

If you wanted the gourami as a centerpiece I'd choose one of the various paradisefish options. They are great and come in a few different patterns. They are a lot flashier than DG and even regular gouramis.

jetajockey said:
If you wanted the gourami as a centerpiece I'd choose one of the various paradisefish options. They are great and come in a few different patterns. They are a lot flashier than DG and even regular gouramis.

Is there a problem with the gourami idea?

Not at all, I just think they'd look small in that size tank, not something I'd personally use as a centerpiece.

Nothing wrong with using DG's though if you want them. I kept 3 honey gouramis in a tank for about a year or so and they got along well.

jetajockey said:
Not at all, I just think they'd look small in that size tank, not something I'd personally use as a centerpiece.

Nothing wrong with using DG's though if you want them. I kept 3 honey gouramis in a tank for about a year or so and they got along well.

Yea I just have always really liked the way they look. As long as they will get along, I'm gunna go that route. Thanks for the suggestion tho :) how many do you think I could do?

I don't know what the general guideline is for DG's apart from what I said I've done in the past with honey gouramis. If they are anything like the others they are usually fine until someone decides to spawn and then all heck breaks loose.

Well I could try to get all males or something.. how do you tell the difference? Lol. I know the guy at petsmart won't know because I dated him so that's not gunna work.
Anyways I was sitting down googling colorful tetras and I found two that I've never seen in stores, Congo tetras and red phantom tetras. I'd love to have one or the other of them in there. The thing is idk if I'd be able to put anything else in there or what I could do. Ya know like a bn or some loaches or just shrimp and/or snails.

I'm lost! Lol

Well I was just informed by someone on here that dwarf gouramis don't get along with each other.

I've heard that also. But then again I've heard people keeping them together without issue. It's not something I've tried, as I've avoided DG's because of DGIV. That's why I really only have comments about the behavior of honey gouramis and paradisefish that I've kept.

jetajockey said:
i've heard that also. But then again i've heard people keeping them together without issue. It's not something i've tried, as i've avoided dg's because of dgiv. That's why i really only have comments about the behavior of honey gouramis and paradisefish that i've kept.

dgiv? ...

Aquarium Fish: Fish Viral Disease towards the bottom of the page. Just something that seems to be more and more common so to avoid it I've avoided the species completely.

With this, like any other species, I'd ask around for actual experiences to see what people have done with them, stocking wise. Many people (not naming anyone in particular) tend to give stocking advice for fish they've never even kept, so all you are getting is regurgitated information rather than actual experiences. It doesn't invalidate their opinions but it's kinda like getting football advice from a guy who watches football on TV rather than getting advice from an actual football player.

Last edited:
I would veer away from DGs not hardy at all IMO I would personally get some honey gouramis like 3 instead

josh7 said:
I would veer away from DGs not hardy at all IMO I would personally get some honey gouramis like 3 instead

Yea that's what they told me about discus but I've kept them for a long time lol

Well how bout some suggestions to another kind of fish? I really wanted dgs but no one thinks its a good idea. I want something I can have like 4 or 5 of.

My dwarf Gouramis get on fine in my 30 gallon tank, I have one male 3 females . I would personally just be very careful with Dwarf Gouramis though, because some people do have bad experiences. It all depends on their personality really. You could try a trio of sparkling gourami 1m 2f , where I am they are quite hard to find.
If all goes well you could add a school of 6-8 lemon or black neon tetra . Hope I helped :)

You could try all dwarf cichlids but what's your tank dimensions? You could try 2 different Bolivian ram pairs if you have a lot of caves.

I've always thought hatchets were cool...esp. the marble variety and they school pretty well from my own past experience.

also beware: they are jumpers lol

sally pu said:
I've always thought hatchets were cool...esp. the marble variety and they school pretty well from my own past experience.

also beware: they are jumpers lol

I had hatchets in my bigger tank. I might get some more. :p

Samzter said:
My dwarf Gouramis get on fine in my 30 gallon tank, I have one male 3 females . I would personally just be very careful with Dwarf Gouramis though, because some people do have bad experiences. It all depends on their personality really. You could try a trio of sparkling gourami 1m 2f , where I am they are quite hard to find.
If all goes well you could add a school of 6-8 lemon or black neon tetra . Hope I helped :)

My lfs has them listed as all males :/ doesn't look like they have females

Back
Top Bottom