40/50 Gallon Tank Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My betta is in a 40 gallon and he is always swimming around. In my experience the only time my betta doesn't move around much is when the swimming space is limited but in my big tank he always is on the go! I don't know anything about cories (they really creep me out) or glofish so someone more experienced will have to help you there. Also there are all different colored snails there's blue pink yellow red but I am biased on snails because I love them :)

Hahaha! That's hilarious! I've never liked snails but I really love cories! The albino ones are really cool, petsmart has really healthy juvies that I wanted! I never knew that snails came in brighter colors but I don't know if I'll put one in my 50g because they might just get hidden in the plants most of the time. I might get a snail in the 10g when it becomes the family tank (but I'm the final voice on stocking) so what kind of snail can I get that won't have a hundred babies and is big enough to not be eaten by guppies/glofish/angel fish/white or black skirt tetras?

Mystery snails are big enough not to be eaten. They come in a bunch of colors: blue, yellow, ivory, and brown. They can only mate if there is at least one male and one female in the same tank. They are really interesting and fun to watch. They have a large bio-load for their size, though.

alia258 said:
I feel a beta would be too small for the tank size, and wouldn't fill it out enough. And they don't move, they just sit near the surface a large amount of the time IME.
idea?

My female betta Lucy swims with my mollies in my 29g and they all tumble over each other trying to get a nibble on my fingers first.... Lucy is constantly swimming 90% of the day.... The rest if She's just hanging out somewhere and sees me approach the tank she jumps to life and starts her little betta wiggle dance for me...

And my new male betta Jitterbug swims all over his 10g most of the time... Fins flowing behind him. I don't know his full personality yet, but He was all over the tank most of the day yesterday. His tank is positioned on the bar counter space between living room and kitchen. I was doing dishes last night and he swam back and forth tilting his head watching me.

In my personal experience Bettas have just as much personality than Mollies, Platies, Guppies... But are a more animated and outwardly curious. They LITERALLY do the puppy dog tilt with their heads when they're studying what you're doing.

Only time I've had a still, quiet, floating, or lying betta (aside from sickness) was when they were in those tiny bowls...

Well that explains it, how big can they get anyway? Do they stay that small as they are in the pet store?

Oh and I THINK I finished my lists for things in my tank.

Plants for 50g:
-frogbit
-Mexican oak leaf
-micro sword
-java moss
-dwarf water lettuce

Fish for 50g:
- 5 guppies (2 male 3 female)
- 10 neon tetras
- 4 black skirt tetras
- 4 "white" skirt tetras
- 4 albino cories
- 2 otto cats
- 8 glo fish (2 blue 2 red 2 orange 2 yellow)
- 2 dwarf gourami (1 red/orange 1 blue/green/yellow)

alia258 said:
Well that explains it, how big can they get anyway? Do they stay that small as they are in the pet store?

blue/green/yellow)

My previous male with fins got to be 2 1/2-3" and my female is 2".

The little one i got yesterday is about 1 1/2"..
My female was only 1" when I got her...

I'd say (depending on store stock) they will approx double in size...
I've seen some TINYYYYYY bettas in the store but also some larger ones.

I usually see 1-2" betas in my lfs. They're very pretty, I might get a nice 5g for a beta, do they come in a long version? It'd look nice on my dresser near my candles :)

Do you thing some golden kuhli loaches might fit into my stocking list? I like the looks of them and my lfs has some juvies :)

alia258 said:
I usually see 1-2" betas in my lfs. They're very pretty, I might get a nice 5g for a beta, do they come in a long version? It'd look nice on my dresser near my candles :)

Do you thing some golden kuhli loaches might fit into my stocking list? I like the looks of them and my lfs has some juvies :)

I don't know much about 5g tanks except I'd like one. :) if you do get a betta I'd get a small one.. So fun to watch em grow and flourish!

Someone else with more experience needs to answer about your stocking list.. Past 29g I'm clueless :)

I might get something like a 2 gallon clear pitcher and make it into a tank for a beta fish. Why do the gallon pitchers always seem so much larger than the gallon fish tanks anyway?

As for the 50g tank I've had very little replies from Craigslist, I hope some answers come soon!

Does this look like a 50g tank to you? The guy who wanted to sell it to me, but I haven't actually seen it in person. He said that it's 1' x 1' x 2 1/2' but that sounds closer to a 10-15g to me, but the guy insists that it's a 50g tank. Here's the pic he took:

View attachment 85817

alia258 said:
Does this look like a 50g tank to you? The guy who wanted to sell it to me, but I haven't actually seen it in person. He said that it's 1' x 1' x 2 1/2' but that sounds closer to a 10-15g to me, but the guy insists that it's a 50g tank. Here's the pic he took:

Sounds more like a 40...

That's what I thought, I'm just hoping he has it mixed up and this isn't on purpose! It's simply not large enough for the amount of fish I was gonna stock in it :(

I think you should get at least 3 otos. And like another person said bettas are wonderful little critters! Mine is always on the side of the tank where I am at doing the head tilting thing that was mentioned earlier haha but I don't think 2 gallons is very ideal for a betta. I would try for at least the 5 gallon but the 10 would be even better and you would actually get to see its personality and get to see it swimming around and being happy to be out of a tiny little cup!

I think I'll get a 5g and make it have lots of green plants then get a white beta and black filter sand :)

Oh also about that tank it is definitely not a 50 gallon. I think you were right when you said 15 gallon. I'm not sure how they could mistake a 15 for a 50 haha. And I love white bettas. I have been wanting one just cant seem to find a truely white one other than ordering it and paying crazy amounts! But that 5 gallon tank sounds like it will be pretty!

brunettebaby4571 said:
Oh also about that tank it is definitely not a 50 gallon. I think you were right when you said 15 gallon. I'm not sure how they could mistake a 15 for a 50 haha. And I love white bettas. I have been wanting one just cant seem to find a truely white one other than ordering it and paying crazy amounts! But that 5 gallon tank sounds like it will be pretty!

Maybe I shouldn't haven't passed up on a pure white Halfmoon at Petsmart for $7.99 yesterday!

Oh I'll be at petsmart today! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled! It's too bad the guy had too small a tank, he was gonna sell it to me, when he thought it was a 50g, with a stand for $60.00! Such a let down, that's such a great price —.—""

Haha ya the only white ones I have been able to find are like 80+$ and than shipping is like 40+!!!!!

I've seen almost full white veil tails at petco for the same price as all the rest. They usually have a purple/pink hue to certain spots on their bodies (ends of fins, stomach, around eyes) and I find that to be very pretty. I also see some "higher class" betas that are white, but partial blue (bright white and dark blue together, very attractive)

With the news on the 50g, I'll be keeping my eyes open but I haven't found any other offers. Maybe it would be smart to say that they're ripping me off with their price (usually 100$ for the 50g) and tell them about my deal with that other guy! Would that be wrong? I know in the pet stores a 50g stand and aquarium and lid all together is around 350$ but once you buy it you'll only be able to sell it for so much, and I'd probly buy/make my own lid because I want a fluorescent and black light set up for my glo fish at night.

Honestly at petco just for the tank it is only like I believe 140 or 150 (maybe cheaper) just for the tank. I payed 120 for my 40 gallon and didnt get a stand. But like I said you can always wait til they have the dollar gallon sale and save a good bit of money. I know waiting is terrible but it would be worth it in the long run to save that kind of money.

I have been wanting a total white betta that is like a pearl white color. I am in love with them!! I will get one one day!! :) I have been wanting to get another betta but I don't have anywhere for one right now so I will just stick with my little red betta for now :)

Back
Top Bottom