$400 for a 150 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superswamper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently saw an ad for a 150 g tank with the lights (assume fluorescent), stand and glass tops. The accompanying equipment is:
2 Emperor 400 filters
1 CPR Bak Pak skimmer
2 300w heaters
1 MJ PH

The price is $400. Assuming the tank/stand is in acceptable condition, is this price OK? I don't know the age of the tank or its condition right now.

Would the equipment be sufficient for the size of the tank or would I need to upgrade to better equipment? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know prices vary depending on location, so I'm in St. Louis if it helps. TIA

I wouldn't want to use the emperor filters. Those are more suited for freshwater. The CPR Bak Pak, I believe, is far too small for a tank this size. The 300w heaters would run you about $50-$60 total for the both of them, and the mj ph will be fine to use, but you'll need more phs for circulation. So basically, you're paying $400 for a tank, a stand, 2 heaters, and a ph. That estimated (with very low accuracy) would be roughly $500+, so you'd still be saving yourself some money, provided the tank's in good condition. You'll need to know what lights there are, and see if you can get the seller to exclude the emperor's and bak pak and see if they'll lower the price...then you can take more savings and buy decent equipment. This is just one opinion, I'd wait for plenty more. =] HTH!

Agreed, although any auxillary equipment is a non item imo, your paying for the tank, stand and lights. If they are in good shape, then it sounds like a fair deal, you can always sell the other equipment ;)

I would pay that for a FW setup... you may be able to find better, it all depends on how lucky you get with the timing!

Examples:
- I got a 125 gallon, with an old stand, 2 light strips (nice shape) and a Magnum 330 that works for $325. Not bad, but in hindsight I could've done better.

- Yesterday my buddy got a 220 gallon in new shape with a steel subframe stand, needs new facade for the stand, but custom lights, wet/dry, powerheads, everything... for $550. Killer deal, it was $4000 new from a custom tank builder here in the Twin Cities.

Just make sure you know what you're willing to pay and what you're looking at.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom