45 gallon: No go? Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Lately I have been wanting to upgrade my 20 gallon long to a bigger tank, and possibly be able to get one tall enough to add an angel fish. I was eyeing a nice Visio 45 gallon 25-inch-tall tank and found a decent price as well as a good-looking stand, but when I mentioned that I was excited to see how tall my stem plants would climb in this tank(My rotala rotundifolia grows like weeds in my 20 long, and I have to trim it a lot) the shop owner mentioned that plants are not doable in a tank this tall because the light would not reach the bottom. He told me there are very high-light fixtures that would get around this, but they are insanely expensive(I can't afford a $200 light). Now I'm at a loss and feeling very depressed, because I was looking forward to going with this tank. I want an angel fish, and I want my tanks to be heavily planted. Is it really not doable without an expensive light fixture?

My current tank is a 20 long with rotala rotundifolia, Java moss, Java ferns, anubias, crypt spiralis, crypt wendtii, and floating crystalwort. These all do very well in this tank. I have just added red ludwigia so I'm not sure yet how that will fare. I use no co2 as it is too expensive, but I dose Leaf Zone. For my lighting I went the cheap route and bought three aluminum lamps from Home Depot, and each has a 13 watt spiral 6500k fluorescent cfl bulb in it. They don't look like anything special sitting on the top glass cover but the tank has been doing well with these for over a year, and that's what matters. There is a picture below of one of these lamps sitting on my 5 gallon shrimp tank, which is also doing well with them(That glass cover needs a good cleaning, I know.)

The plan was to move all of the above mentioned plants to the 45. I thought I would just get larger lamps with stronger cfl bulbs and set them on the tank's glass cover like I did with the 20 long, but the shopkeeper said it's too deep to work. Now I'm feeling discouraged from even upgrading. Help?

Attachments

• DSCF9892.jpg
    DSCF9892.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 63
He's right about the CFLs being too weak to reach the bottom, but take a look at the planted+ 24/7 fixtures. A single one would be sufficient for light for you and wouldn't be terribly expensive.

Also, check for liquid carbon.

Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

You can dose it daily at around 1ml / 10 gallons. That bottle should last a year or so for you.

He's right about the CFLs being too weak to reach the bottom, but take a look at the planted+ 24/7 fixtures. A single one would be sufficient for light for you and wouldn't be terribly expensive.

Also, check for liquid carbon.

Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

You can dose it daily at around 1ml / 10 gallons. That bottle should last a year or so for you.

At over 100 dollars, I would call them terribly expensive...Can't afford. :(

What the heck is that "cide" stuff? Isn't that some kind of poison, since it has "cide" in the name?

I feel like giving up on upgrading. Everything is either too **** expensive or not doable. :(

What the heck is that "cide" stuff? Isn't that some kind of poison, since it has "cide" in the name?

It's a medical grade sterilizing solution. The ingredient in it is Glutaraldehyde which is the exact same ingredient as is in Excel (Seachem product). The metricide is just 2x as strong as excel is. I've been using it for 2 years now. It's perfectly safe for your tank in low concentrations. Just don't dose any higher than 1ml / 2g of water.

Another option is to buy a 2 bulb t5ho flourescent fixture from home depot. Just make sure they are t5ho and not t5no or t5he

Lithonia Lighting 2-Light High Output Multi-Volt T5 Compact White Fluorescent Strip Light-ZR 2 54T5HO MVOLT GEB10PS - The Home Depot

They aren't great but they will function.

Why not try to save up for the light? There's no hurry is there?

When money is really tight it doesn't matter if you save up for it or not. That's a large investment and there's always something that you absolutely need to spend money on.

It's going to be a loooooong time then. I get only 16 work hours a week lately. Hard to save up for anything. :(

I've been looking at diy videos on how to make aquarium lights with rain gutter pieces and cfl bulbs. Maybe I can make one with like eight bulbs in it or something, lol. Or maybe I just won't upgrade at all...

It's going to be a loooooong time then. I get only 16 work hours a week lately. Hard to save up for anything. :(

I've been looking at diy videos on how to make aquarium lights with rain gutter pieces and cfl bulbs. Maybe I can make one with like eight bulbs in it or something, lol. Or maybe I just won't upgrade at all...

Not sure if you noticed this.. Lithonia Lighting 2-Light High Output Multi-Volt T5 Compact White Fluorescent Strip Light-ZR 2 54T5HO MVOLT GEB10PS - The Home Depot

I thought you said they aren't good, though. Would that work well with the plants I mentioned in the first comment? Edit: Ouch, it doesn't actually include bulbs...They are probably fifteen bucks each. It also says it's 48 inches long, so unless they have a shorter one I can't use that for the tank I had in mind...

I'm just probably not going to upgrade. I'll go ahead and buy the aquarium stand I was looking at anyway, though. The 45 I was planning to get is the same dimension as my 20 long, so I could use the stand. If I can't upgrade the tank then a proper stand is better than nothing...The 20 is just sitting on a dresser now.

Back
Top Bottom