5.5 Gallon Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice tank. I was thinking of doing something similar but I had a few questions which I hope someone can answer. Did the 5g hex come with a splash guard? Or was it just the rubber sleeve over the socket. Is it safe to use a compact fluorescent in those circumstances?

Basically there was a plastic piece that assured a tight fit and was designed to keep moisture out of the socket. There was nothing between the water and the bulb. In the time that I was running the aquarium I never had any difficulty running the tank with the CF Bulb. Keep in mind that I purchased a bulb that was specifically made to be used in this type of hood, which may or may not have made a difference.

The Mini Compact looks to be basically the same as the bulb I was using. That one probably runs around $10, or you can spend $5 for the one I used that was located in the pet dept of Walmart.

With 10 Watts of CF light the tank was a solid Medium Low Light tank. The Anubias regularly put out new leaves and even bloomed once while the Dwarf Sag kept trying to take over the tank had to be thinned every one to two months. I was also injecting CO2 and dosing all the Macro and Micro Ferts. While this kind of fertilization wouldn't be strictly necessary I'm sure that it contributed to the results I was getting. You could easily use Flourish Excel instead of CO2 injection on this size tank if you wanted. You should have no problem with Low Light plants and could even try some of the Medium Low Light plants.

Thanks for sharing. I have to put off my 5g hex plans for a while, however, I think I will be able to apply much of what we have discussed here to my other small tank plans. I too am a big Anubias fan and so far the best growth I have seen is in my 10g with 15w NO fluorescent and a canopy of frogbit & supplemented with flourish excel.

Thanks for sharing. I have to put off my 5g hex plans for a while, however, I think I will be able to apply much of what we have discussed here to my other small tank plans. Also, your tank looks too good for me to not try something like it in the near future. I too am also a big Anubias fan and so far the best growth I have seen is in my 10g with 15w NO fluorescent and a canopy of frogbit & supplemented with flourish excel.

Here's the 11 month update. It's hard to believe this tank has been up and running for nearly a year. The plants are filling in nicely. I'm especially pleased with how the Rotala Rotundifolia and Micranthemum Umbrosum (Baby Tears) are doing.

The Dwarf Sag is spreading even more rapidly now than before the upgrade, not that I'm really surprised. :lol: I'll be removing it completely in a few weeks, I only saved a few plants for my fish club's HAP (Horticulural Award Program).

Once the Dwarf Sag has been removed I'll be moving a few new plants in from the 2.5 Gallon. Definatly the Elatine Triandra, but I'm not sure what else. Possibly the Rotala Rotundifolia "Colorata" and "Green". We'll see when the time comes.

Attachments

• 11months_full_138.jpg
    11months_full_138.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 212
Well this tank has definately entered it's jungle phase. It's kinda on hold for the moment while I get a new 10 Gallon setup. Then I'll rob it of a bunch of it's plants and work on getting it aquascaped the way I want it now that I have a better feel for it.

Per special request I've also include a pic of the entire setup showing the light fixture as well.

Attachments

• 12months_full_235.jpg
    12months_full_235.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 171
Nice. M. umbrosum grows out of water quite easily, in case you want to take advantage of that lighting fixture by removing the glass top.

Unfortunately with cats and a toddler in the house, that's not going to happen anytime soon. That and I don't feel like dealing with the snail going for a walk.

Very nice, very healthy looking tank. Clear water too, something I can't seem to acheive! I am very interested to see how you do with the higher light. Every time I up my light I run myself into trouble! If anyone can pull it off, you can. I will be watching and learning!

Thankyou for your kind words.

Even thought the lighting is technically 6.5WPG, since it is a nano it is much more like having 3-4WPG over a larger tank. So not quite as daring as you might think. The 10.4WPG that I have over my 2.5 Gallon looks even more scarey but is probably only comparable to about 4WPG on larger tanks.

Both tanks are a blast and I highly recommend having a high light planted Nano to anyone that enjoys a challenge.

I did a major pruning and removed the extra plants that were sitting in this tank waiting for the 10 Gallon Tank to be set up. Things are looking rather sparce and the aquascaping needs some work. I'm expecting some new plants next week, so I'll probably wait till then before I do much more to this tank.

If you look close you'll see that the Anubias has just started to put out a new bloom. The waiting begins again. =)

Attachments

• 13months_full_255.jpg
    13months_full_255.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 165
That is a 2.5g tank correct? and are you using a Coralife 2x9watt freshwater aqualight? What is the plant in the left side of the tank that was growing crazing? it was the pics you post on May 24. You did such a great job with the tank, absolutly beautiful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom