5.5 Gallon Photo Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I think I'm starting to get a few more things figured out on my camera. Found the manual focus control and a couple of other handy settings. Managed to get a couple of nice shots of the inhabitants of this tank.

Not sure what type of Ramshorn snail it is, it's different than majority of the ones in my tanks. If it gets too big or starts eating the plants I'll remove it. I really like the shot of the Pygmy resting in amongst all the Anubias leaves. It's a typical resting spot for them.

Attachments

• ramshorn_595.jpg
    ramshorn_595.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,831
Close up of Hemianthus Micranthemoides "Erect"

That pic really helped me out...I have been growing that "mystery plant" for a while. Now I know what is is ;-)

That looks like the rams i have. They breed at an insane rate. They will eat many plants.

Divided the Anubias Nana today and discoved just how well the Anubias Nana Petite have been doing. A very nice little surprise.

Attachments

• 14months_full_3_136.jpg
    14months_full_3_136.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 94
The A. nana "petite"and Ammania "Bonsai"/R. indica really do a lot for scale. I like that the R. papulentus kind of looks like Wisteria in a bigger tank.

Yes, you are definitely doing a great job at the scaling....somethign I am still learning, mostly the hard way!

I would second the L aromatica as being too big...it quicky reaches the surface in my 55. Maybe some R wallichii for a similar look?? I'd be happy to give you a piece of L aromatica sometime if you still want to give it a try.

That's actually Rotala Wallichii in the back right. Not really working as nicely as I'd hoped. I've already decided against the Limnophila Aromatica. Travis suggested Didiplis Diandra for my 2.5 Gallon and I might try it in this tank as well.

Got a few more good shots of some of the plants in this tank.

Attachments

• marsileaminuta_2_130.jpg
    marsileaminuta_2_130.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 65
I agree, the marsilea minuta looks really cool. Looks like it is acting as a "snail speedbump" there to keep them from moving too quickly across the tank.

Finally got a pic of the new scape. It's really nice giving back a semblance of order to this tank. I really like how it turned out and look forward to seeing it fill in.

Attachments

• 16months_full_106.jpg
    16months_full_106.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 84
Those cories are cute Joy. Your aquascape makes that tank look twice its size. Keep up with the carpet. I am VERY interested to see what you do with it :)

With the switch to Pressurized CO2, the BBA finally disappeared only to be replaced by Green Hair Algae. In an effort to fight off the algae I've slacked off on trimming. It's now severely overgrown, but I think I'm making some progress. I plan on doing some major trimming this weekend to remove most of the remaining infected leaves and tame the aquascape into some semblance of presentable.

Just got done giving the tank a major trim so that it's mostly presentable again.

Attachments

• 19month_full_421.jpg
    19month_full_421.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 125
Ever have one of those days where you start out intending to just do a waterchange and all of a sudden you find yourself pulling out all the plants to do a better job of trimming and such.

Well that happend with this tank yesterday. I was just going to take out the driftwood with moss to trim and re-tie it. Then I ended up pulling up a bunch of the overgrown clover in the front right. This led to pulling out the driftwood with the Anubias to do a bit of trimming to remove the worst of the algae covered leaves and ended up taking some cuttings for my emersed setup. Finally ended up pulling out all the Ranunculus papulentus, Hydrocotyle sibthropiodes, and Rotala indica (Ammania sp. 'Bonsai') since everthing else was so intertwined together. In the end the only plants that didn't get pulled were the Hemianthus micranthemoides and Marsilea minuta in the front left and the vals and crypts in the back right.

Needless to say, the water change took a bit longer than planned. Sure wish I had my camera so I could snap a few pics of how it turned out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom