5 gallon hex or normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was wondering for my up and coming betta tank, which is better? I like both but the normal has night lights, or moon, and the hex is a really unique tank. I was hoping to have my male betta, 5 neons, and 3 otos and shrimp, or some of those, what do ya think? And I will be planting this

Too many fish for a 5g tank of any shape. Betta's, especially males, are more often than not aggressive & that small of a space will only increase the aggression. Betta's prefer longer tanks as opposed to taller, so a rectangular tank would be better. A 5g would be the perfect size for a single Betta with maybe a Mystery snail or possibly some shrimp (but they could become snacks for Mr. Betta). If you want multiple fish the smallest tank that would be suitable would be a 10g & that is still pretty limited as to what you can stock.

Shellieca is 100% right but Betta's often times will nip at mystery snails antennae and keep the snail from coming out to feed. A single nerite is much better as they stay tight to their shell and don't have those templing long antennae.

I realize bettas are aggresive, but mine is so docile! I was thinking I could try neons

Too many fish for a 5g tank of any shape. Betta's, especially males, are more often than not aggressive & that small of a space will only increase the aggression. Betta's prefer longer tanks as opposed to taller, so a rectangular tank would be better. A 5g would be the perfect size for a single Betta with maybe a Mystery snail or possibly some shrimp (but they could become snacks for Mr. Betta). If you want multiple fish the smallest tank that would be suitable would be a 10g & that is still pretty limited as to what you can stock.

Shellieca is 100% right but Betta's often times will nip at mystery snails antennae and keep the snail from coming out to feed. A single nerite is much better as they stay tight to their shell and don't have those templing long antennae.

The 5g is too small. He may seem docile but have you seen with other fish?

+1 to above snails or shrimp really all depending on temperament of the betta 5 gallon is too small for neons with a betta and he may seem docile by himself

Ok, so if i only get a adf, shrimp, snails, betta, is there honestly no way I can do a real other fish in a 5? No experiences?

Ok, so if i only get a adf, shrimp, snails, betta, is there honestly no way I can do a real other fish in a 5? No experiences?

no there isnt any other real fish you could do in a 5 gal if you want actual fish for tankmates with a betta a bigger tank like a 10-15 gallon would be needed

Ok so

1 Betta
1 add
4 ghost shrimp
1 zebra nerite snails
1 olive nerite snail
? And if this, hex or norm?

Even the adf + betta combo is pushing it and may not work out. Bettas can be difficult or impossible to stock around, and even if they seem docile they can snap at random.

The bottom line though is the tank is small, get a larger tank and you'll have more stocking options, although the betta thing is still hit and miss.

Even the adf + betta combo is pushing it and may not work out. Bettas can be difficult or impossible to stock around, and even if they seem docile they can snap at random.

The bottom line though is the tank is small, get a larger tank and you'll have more stocking options, although the betta thing is still hit and miss.

+1 agreed very true

Yes, one is rectangular, so is longer. And one is hexagonal, so is taller. And as far as I know, bettas prefer longer instead of taller.

Ok so

1 Betta
1 add
4 ghost shrimp
1 zebra nerite snails
1 olive nerite snail
? And if this, hex or norm?

Keep in mind most snails have a large bio load so you don't want to overdo them. I know Mystery Snails require a minimum of 2g per snail, not sure about nerite snails.

The reason you want to go with a rectangle tank is it gives the betta more swimming room. We have two Fluval Edges, 6g, one for each betta, planted and each betta uses all the space for swimming. A hex doesn't allow for much swim space.

i an going with one that is 16.5x10x11 and I will plant it. It will have a few small decorations and that's about it!

Back
Top Bottom