5 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics look good, max. Rig up a DIY co2 generator meanwhile. My paintball co2 ran out on my GF's 60F like two weeks ago. I've been using DIY plus glut to great success. My HC in that tank is looking good.

Pics look good, max. Rig up a DIY co2 generator meanwhile. My paintball co2 ran out on my GF's 60F like two weeks ago. I've been using DIY plus glut to great success. My HC in that tank is looking good.

I don't have yeast :/

Good news- I got window screen and yeast, so I should be ok until I get the co2 tank refilled.

I just finished putting the screen inside the light. I put 3 layers in it for now. I might adjust it later on.
img_2731277_0_de018bfdef3081d22bf7333624fcc58e.jpg

I'm glad to have actual mounting legs again (and not styrofoam) :)
img_2731277_1_913e7d1bcddffbbe45901baf18ee1577.jpg

Because the screen was black, some of the LEDs appear to be slightly blue. I hope it doesn't affect the spectrum too much.
img_2731277_2_6e2f41e6d1427b83c311241af9a11a7c.jpg

I will try to set up the DIY co2 tonight, but I have to drink a whole 2 liter of pop. :lol:

Last edited:
Any ideas on how I should diffuse the co2 when I get it set up? I was thinking of running the tubing into my filter intake. I also have a glass diffuser but I'm not sure if DIY co2 would give enough pressure.

Any ideas on how I should diffuse the co2 when I get it set up? I was thinking of running the tubing into my filter intake. I also have a glass diffuser but I'm not sure if DIY co2 would give enough pressure.

There's enough pressure for a glass ceramic disk diffuser. I have DIY on two tanks this way. Just have to make sure there's no leaks, of course. Also, it helps having a check valve close to the bubble counter so you don't de-pressurize the line when refilling with yeast/sugar... that way it doesn't take as long for the co2 to start coming out the diffuser. IME, on the initial startup it can take a long time for the yeast farts to fill the lines, bubble counter, and get enough displacement pressure to get through the tight pores. Up to 24 hrs, depending.

3 layers of window screen???

Max, it's my understanding that one layer cuts PAR by 30-40%.

Dare I say, you went a little overboard...? :lol:
I am not sure what the deal was, but with one or two layers, it didn't seem to reduce it by much. I am not so sure the numbers you got are correct, because according to that, 3 layers would reduce my lighting by 120%. Which means it would completely block it out. I'll see how well it does with 3. I really should get a PAR meter :lol:

I hooked the co2 reactor up to my glass diffuser. I am afraid it won't be able to make it through and then burst the 2 liter, making a huge mess. But it does take way less pressure to go through the diffuser than it does to burst the bottle.

Each layer is 40% reduction applied 3 times is 88% reduction. It's multiplicative, not additive.
Honestly though, I really doubt it is that much of a reduction. The best way for me to find out would be via a PAR meter, but I don't have one. I might look into buying one.

Honestly though, I really doubt it is that much of a reduction. The best way for me to find out would be via a PAR meter, but I don't have one. I might look into buying one.

Hoppy sells them on TPT for 60$. Or you could just go with one sheet and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom