500g for $350

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw this an a local trade paper yesterday.I didn't call so I don't know the material or the condition.Lighting and/or other stuff were not mentioned either.

Now....since I have been telling the wife I want my next tank to be a monster (125g or larger) this really peeked my imagination.

What would a tank like this cost new usually?

I will have the money to throw at by the end of the week and I'm thinking it may still be there because of the small matket out there for a tank that size....maybe anyway.

Obviously filtration will cost as much as the tank,if not more so it will be a slow moving project if it still available and I take the leap.

Just kicking the idea around and thought I'd gets some thoughts on it.

well New i'd say a bunch (rowboat extra)
heres a guy selling one "cracked" for $300 but he tells how much he has in it.
I just google 500 gallon aquarium and found alot of diy but noy many manufactures above 180 gal.

hth

I googled it too...with the same results.Difficult to get a feel for origanal cost...but I imagine a grand or better??Maybe??

He says 6500 for the tank and 2500 or so for 4 canister filters.

I did find a HOB filter for 500-1000 gal for 2400 and a diy that uses a 50 gal as its filter.

The AGA 210 drilled I had set me back $700. Not a bad deal for a tank that size if it doesn't have any scratches and holds water. Did they say glass or acrylic? Either way your going to need some brutes to move the thing. It took four of us to move a 210 so a 500 is going to be some work.

That's a huge tank. I can't imagine something that large actually being glass. The weight of the tank alone would be unbelievable. It has to be acrylic.

I'm going to go with lemonhead here. If it holds water and isn't scratched up too bad it sounds like an amazing deal. But like you said, the tank is just the beginning of the costs.

He says 6500 for the tank

WOWZERS!!

No idea on the tank details lemonhead.I left the paper at work....I'll get the number tomorrow and see if its still there and get some more details.

No doubt it huge...I may pass on it even if its in great shape honestly...Its a true beast.

But it would be cool...and one heck of a project.

More info will help me decide for sure.

Hey just because its a monster tank doesn't mean you should pass up on that opportunity if your interested in it. Just my opinion and you can do whatever you want. However, I kick myself in the butt everyday for getting rid of my 210. And the best part of a monster tank is it takes care of mts better than another tank will.

Well,I tracked the number down through I guy still at work and left a message....just waitng on the return call now.

I'll post the details when/if I get em.

well glasscages.com charges 850 bucks for a 300 gallon acryllic tank, but they don't ship anything you have to pick it up at one of the fairs they go to

No call back tonight...I did get the sense that it was work number though...perhaps tomorrow.
I'll let ya'll know.

I have had terrible experience with glass cages. they shipped a tank packaged poorly, it arrived shattered and they refused to rebuild after my pal told them they should send a replacement "expidiously".. they were offended.

I personally would never trust them to build a large tank for me. It was such extremely bad customer service, that american express PAID the full price of replacement that was twice the price as part of its buyers assurance. .

It will take quite a bit to move one that big, start doing pushups... :lol:
Also consider, will it fit through the basement door? (You won't be putting it in the living room, unless you brace the floor w/jacks first.) Stand for the beast to sit on?

I can,t emagine a tank that big. i got a 210gal it's 8ft long and 2ft x 2ft at the ends.
I hope you have great access to a big window or a double sliding door! The tank alone was worked out to be about 170 kilos and thats only 10mm with 12mm base.

Anymore than 2ft in height calls for thicker glass. WOW. i think you will need hired help just to move it! I was able to carry 1 end of my tank on my own, but only for a few meters.

It might help if you can get trolleys to wheel it on. It did IME

A brand new project, start to finish, done right I would estimate around 5K. If it was a salt water project...lol....ask Brenden, but I'd guess around 25K.

I've got a quote on a tank that Loretta Lotto is going to buy for me....10'x30"x30"....$3,750.00 with one overflow two returns, two drains. No other assesories. I'd drive 3hours to get it. With tailgate down it would fit nicely in the bed of my PU. I'd never have something like that shipped and handled by a driver that hasn't a clue or care. Nobody is going to take the TLC as would the owner.

For this previously loved 500g, if you buy it, you might want to fill it outside first to see if it leaks.

CH

Back
Top Bottom