55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't feel so bad. I did the same exact thing. I bought an "aqua fern" that was listed as aquatic from my local Petsmart. The funny thing is that it came in 2 different sizes, 3" and 6". The 3" variety was listed as aquatic whereas the 6" was labeled "semi-aquatic." Go figure;). Well I bought it anyway. Originally, I wasn't too interested on keeping them. I had bought them with the intention of them being a food source for my snails. Ironically though it's still here and that's been about 3 or 4 months. I still keep my eye on it to make sure it just doesn't die off and pollute my water.

Yeah, well, I figured I wasn't the first to make that mistake... and I'm sure I won't be the last. ;) I find it crazy though that these LFS's are misleading their customers. Not to mention, they just throw all of the plants together in a tank and don't list them properly as being semi-aquatic, aquatic, etc. Their customers can only reference what is printed on the plant ID stakes and when they list the plant's scientific name instead of the common name, it can be confusing.

I really like the plants that I got and if I could get away w/ leaving them in there for awhile, (at least until I can find replacements), I would. However, I'm a bit concerned about the Peace Lily. I know from doing research for my landscaping that it is highly poisonous when consumed by humans and animals and I don't want to chance my Pleco eating the thing.

Plants

I took some pics of the plants today. The "Aquatic Combo" is the large one in the back. It has been taken out and put in a planter w/ Miracle Grow soil. Now the tank looks, bleh. :( Oh and I caught "Mini Mimi", (my Gold Dust Molly), resting on one of the leaves earlier today... so I'm sure she will miss it.

I still have the Mondo Grass on the right side of the tank, (not pictured), but it will be removed within the next couple of days. It really looks great in there, too! But, I know it can't stay. :( But hey, I have a plant to go next to my pond! (y) Yep, I have a pond too. ;)

The Anubias was attached to my Mopani wood yesterday. I ended up using burlap thread in lieu of fishing line, (we didn't have any), and rubber bands, (someone posted a thread about their fish dying because he used a rubber band... guess it freaked me out, lol).

Anyway, here are some pics! :D

Attachments

• AA-Aq035.jpg
    AA-Aq035.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 151
  • AA-Aq036.jpg
    AA-Aq036.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 141
  • AA-Aq037.jpg
    AA-Aq037.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 135
  • AA-Aq038.jpg
    AA-Aq038.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 142
McLumpy said:
I took some pics of the plants today. The "Aquatic Combo" is the large one in the back. It has been taken out and put in a planter w/ Miracle Grow soil. Now the tank looks, bleh. :( Oh and I caught "Mini Mimi", (my Gold Dust Molly), resting on one of the leaves earlier today... so I'm sure she will miss it.

I still have the Mondo Grass on the right side of the tank, (not pictured), but it will be removed within the next couple of days. It really looks great in there, too! But, I know it can't stay. :( But hey, I have a plant to go nest to my pond! (y) Yep, I have a pond too. ;)

The Anubias was attached to my Mopani wood yesterday. I ended up using burlap thread in lieu of fishing line, (we didn't have any), and rubber bands, (someone posted a thread about their fish dying because he used a rubber band... guess it freaked me out, lol).

Anyway, here are some pics! :D

Nice! Good thoughts with the attachment there. I think I got some anubias too. I'll have to double check. But anyways good choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Nice! Good thoughts with the attachment there. I think I got some anubias too. I'll have to double check. But anyways good choices!

Thanks! :D I'm hoping to add a Sword Fern, (if I can ever find any! lol). I would also like to add a few more Amazon Swords, they are beautiful! But I need to get my lighting issue resolved first. I will be adding other plants as well, I just don't know which ones yet.

Edit: Did you notice the little black rocks in my tank? ;)

hello....so this is where the plants went....beautiful my dear...

and yes, swords are very cool. just make sure you put root tabs 2-3" away from the sword under the gravel so it helps their growth. they are heavy rooter.

I can recommend vals and java ferns and java moss for you. they are low light plants. and very nice looking. you have a lot of areas for them...your tank is soo awesome...

i did see the non aquatic plant...if it is variegated (white and green), they are not aquatic...but they so look so nice...

hoisttt....that driftwood is to die for...LOL...beautiful....nice choice...

EDIT: you betta does look like mine...my Bello passed away last month thought. but i am planning of getting the same color and kind coz i miss mine so much....:-(

hello....so this is where the plants went....beautiful my dear...

and yes, swords are very cool. just make sure you put root tabs 2-3" away from the sword under the gravel so it helps their growth. they are heavy rooter.

I can recommend vals and java ferns and java moss for you. they are low light plants. and very nice looking. you have a lot of areas for them...your tank is soo awesome...

i did see the non aquatic plant...if it is variegated (white and green), they are not aquatic...but they so look so nice...

hoisttt....that driftwood is to die for...LOL...beautiful....nice choice...

EDIT: you betta does look like mine...my Bello passed away last month thought. but i am planning of getting the same color and kind coz i miss mine so much....:-(

I'm telling ya... go to Petco's reptile section and pick you up a Mopani! :D You will not regret it! The 2-shade coloring is what attracted me to it. Mine is a little over a foot long so it doesn't take away from the other focal points in the tank.

Thanks for the compliment on my tank btw! :D My first tank never looked like this one... it was awful. lol Meh, I was young and didn't have my creative edge yet. ;) The decor in the tank matches my home decor fairly well too, so it blends in nicely. My husband is an avid hunter so our home is a mix of his rustic, ("manly" stuff), and my Tuscan countryside, ("girly" yet sophisticated stuff).

Sorry to hear about your Betta. :( It was beautiful and I hope you do get another one that has the same coloring. My husband picked ours out, (he likes blue, so it was a simple decision for him to go w/ that one).

McLumpy said:
Thanks! :D I'm hoping to add a Sword Fern, (if I can ever find any! lol). I would also like to add a few more Amazon Swords, they are beautiful! But I need to get my lighting issue resolved first. I will be adding other plants as well, I just don't know which ones yet.

Edit: Did you notice the little black rocks in my tank? ;)

Lol! I do now! Looks great! Amazing what a few small rocks can do. I was too amazed by the plants that I missed them the first time though.

Your 10 gallon Betta tank looks amazing with the "glow". Great job and creativity!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Lol! I do now! Looks great! Amazing what a few small rocks can do. I was too amazed by the plants that I missed them the first time though.

Yeah, if you can tell in the pic, I set the stones in a uniform path that leads up to where my pregnant Mollies have been hanging out. If I wanted to go "super tacky" I would make a little decorative sign that says, "Donuts Inside" w/ an arrow. LOL

Your 10 gallon Betta tank looks amazing with the "glow". Great job and creativity!

Thanks! :D It looks even better in RL! I thought about making a thread in the "DIY" sub-forum explaining how easy it is to create the "glow". Of course this would only work for a single-sided background. Otherwise, the other side would show up and I'm sure that would look uber ugly. lol

You should definitely make the DIY sub-forum. I'm sure many would like to have a step by step.

I LOVE dwarf gouramis! They are beautiful and very active... :)

Yes, they are! :D Mine, however, has a little damage to his caudal fin. :( It doesn't look like fin rot, it looks more like I have a few fin nippers getting to him.

I love your tank. It's so pretty! I wish I lived in it!

Awwww! Thanks! :D Well, if you want to live in the house, go for it! (y) I must warn you though, my Shark and Loaches are pretty comfy in there, so space is very limited. ;)

Hit With A Triple Whammy

Well, everything was going great, then *BOOM* 3 sick fish. :( One of them, my Molly, has been showing signs of an ailment, (possibly Fin Rot), for about 3 weeks so I increased my pwc's to twice a week and had planned on beginning treatment for that. But then I got hit w/ 2 more sick fish, my Swordtail and Dwarf Gourami. You can read more about it here.

Now I'm just stumped as to what I should do. I've never had to deal w/ anything other than Ich and mild fungus outbreaks. But now I have 3 different illnesses and I'm hoping that I can use 1 product to treat all 3 of them... and fast! Sadly, by me not knowing for sure as to what they all have, I'm hesitant to begin any treatment.

This sucks! :(

Hi dear...I am so sorry to hear about your fishes. I hope someone can give you any advice fast as I am not familiar with fish sickness yet...:-( so sorry I cannot be of assistance..

Hi dear...I am so sorry to hear about your fishes. I hope someone can give you any advice fast as I am not familiar with fish sickness yet...:-( so sorry I cannot be of assistance..

I'm sorry too. Sick fishes aren't fun at all. =/

Thank you for the kind word, guys!

I did a 50% wc yesterday, decreased the temp a little, and added aquarium salt, (more than my usual dosage), in hopes that it will help my Swordtail. I have no doubt that it's fungus and I've heard that salt helps. We'll see. I also plan on treating my tank w/ Melafix/Pimafix, (per Mr. Limpet's recommendation on my other thread). I just need to find time to stop by the LFS.

Also, (I can't go into details, eh, because I'm on my lunch break), but I did order a new light fixture along w/ a few items to help w/ decreasing the amount of time I spend maintaining my tank. My husband seems to think I spend too much time on water changes and such :rolleyes:, so I came up w/ a plan! (y) More details will be posted... so stay tuned. :D

McLumpy said:
Thank you for the kind word, guys!

I did a 50% wc yesterday, decreased the temp a little, and added aquarium salt, (more than my usual dosage), in hopes that it will help my Swordtail. I have no doubt that it's fungus and I've heard that salt helps. We'll see. I also plan on treating my tank w/ Melafix/Pimafix, (per Mr. Limpet's recommendation on my other thread). I just need to find time to stop by the LFS.

Also, (I can't go into details, eh, because I'm on my lunch break), but I did order a new light fixture along w/ a few items to help w/ decreasing the amount of time I spend maintaining my tank. My husband seems to think I spend too much time on water changes and such :rolleyes:, so I came up w/ a plan! (y) More details will be posted... so stay tuned. :D

Please post more details soon. I also find myself spending a lot of time maintaining my fish tank. Do u know any ways to sad money? I have spent over 250$ on accessories and such for my 10 gallon tank.

Please post more details soon. I also find myself spending a lot of time maintaining my fish tank. Do u know any ways to sad money? I have spent over 250$ on accessories and such for my 10 gallon tank.

Well, I don't know if it would help you much, (as you have a 10 gallon tank), but it might if you ever plan on getting a bigger tank. The link is shown below.

Oh and I can't really help you w/ your "sad" money, as mine seems to be pretty happy in the hands of others. ;) I won't even go into how much I've spent on my tank. Honestly, I don't even know, (nor do I care to know lol).

New plan eehh?

Sounds really interesting, I'm following.....

Eh, yep. :D

For those of you that want to read more about it, click here. I hope you enjoy reading novels! ;)

Back
Top Bottom