55 Gallon Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to have a RT but they jump too much :( now I have a neon and then a guppy tank

I used to have a RT but they jump too much :( now I have a neon and then a guppy tank

Yep, they can do that, especially if they're in a confined space. What size was your tank? I can only assume that the 'sad face' you used means it ended badly for your RT. If that's the case, I'm sorry for your loss. :(

The only time my RT jumped was when my husband was at the LFS getting our first round of fish. He picked out Tyrone, (yeah, that's his name... my husband came up w/ it lol), and a few others. As soon as the guy placed Tyrone in the transfer container, he jumped out and landed on the floor. He asked my husband if he wanted a different RT, but my husband declined. He brought Tyrone home and the rest is history.

I'm sorry, but what's a RT?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

Red Tail Shark (well, technically they're referred to as Red Tailed Black Sharks)

Sorry about the confusion. I'm an acronym junkie when it comes to posting on forums. I have yet to find a cure. :D

Red Tail Shark (well, technically they're referred to as Red Tailed Black Sharks)

Sorry about the confusion. I'm an acronym junkie when it comes to posting on forums. I have yet to find a cure. :D

haha no worries! Thanks. I'm normally good to figure out but since I have twitter when I saw RT all I could think of is ReTweet. haha

I'm gaining knowledge everyday!

haha no worries! Thanks. I'm normally good to figure out but since I have twitter when I saw RT all I could think of is ReTweet. haha

I'm gaining knowledge everyday!

:p

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Very impressive set up! :)

Thanks! :D It's still a work in progress. I'm hoping to get some live plants in there soon and ditch the artificials. I just wanted to complete my fish stock first before taking the plunge. That and I'm a bit hesitant because this would be the first time using live plants and I have no idea what I'm doing. lol But, I have no fear that I will find guidance on here.

Speaking of which, if anyone has any suggestions for plants that my Pleco won't eat, that would be great! (y) I was thinking about adding low-light, easy plants, (afterall, I'm a plant n00b lol). Someone suggested Java Ferns and Anubias, and I plan on adding a few of those. Just wandering if there were any additional plants that I could add to give the tank an eclectic array of color?

Moved Quarantined Fish to Display Tank

Yeah, well, I couldn't help myself tonight. I felt it was time to move the fish from my QT to my DT. ;)

First I acclimated the Dalmation Molly. Shortly after releasing him he found my female Mollies and started darting back and forth between them. If I had to guess, he was probably saying, "hey baby, how you doin'?". Based on his reaction to the 'ladies', I decided to name him "Fabio". lol What?

Next I acclimated the Clown Loach. He was pretty 'chill' in the bag, but once I released him, he was all over the place! I took a break from watching the tank, then I returned a few minutes later to find him coming out of the house decor w/ my other Clown Loach. I watched them go back in and I have yet to see them come back out!! I'm a bit worried, but I'm not about to lift up the decor piece to see what happened, (I try not to bother the fish unless it's absolutely necessary). I have my fingers crossed that they're ok! I guess I'll find out in the morning as my CL is always awake and ready to eat breakfast. It's just kind of nerve-racking... but I'm sure they're fine.

Then, finally, I acclimated the Neon Tetras. Before I even had a chance to sit down and watch them, they had joined up w/ my other 4 Neons and formed a beautiful formation! I couldn't believe that they were shoaling so quickly! Needless to say, I was extremely happy to see that happen! :D

So for those of you that were following my "Help Me Choose a QT Background" thread... the pic I had planned on taking, (with the winning background), will exclude fish in the tank. What can I say, I was too anxious to move them over to my DT. ;)

Next I acclimated the Clown Loach. He was pretty 'chill' in the bag, but once I released him, he was all over the place! I took a break from watching the tank, then I returned a few minutes later to find him coming out of the house decor w/ my other Clown Loach. I watched them go back in and I have yet to see them come back out!! I'm a bit worried, but I'm not about to lift up the decor piece to see what happened, (I try not to bother the fish unless it's absolutely necessary). I have my fingers crossed that they're ok! I guess I'll find out in the morning as my CL is always awake and ready to eat breakfast. It's just kind of nerve-racking... but I'm sure they're fine

That's quite normal. Unfortunately though I did have to saw open a decoration recently as I decided my CL must be stuck inside. He was fine, but I just hadn't seen him for too long and he's the largest CL that I have.

That's quite normal. Unfortunately though I did have to saw open a decoration recently as I decided my CL must be stuck inside. He was fine, but I just hadn't seen him for too long and he's the largest CL that I have.

:shock: Geez! You actually destroyed your decor looking for your CL? I'm confused though, was he somewhere else in your tank or was he in the decor and darted out when he noticed the saw blade coming for his arse? lol

Oh and, come to find out, my 2 CL's were bunkin' together in the House. They were out swimming around this morning, waiting for their breakfast. Then they were back out waiting for their dinner when I got home from work. It's really cool seeing them swim together! :D I'm a bit surprised though at how quickly they became buddies. lol

Yeah. I'm fairly sure he was stuck. Although they grow slow it's really possible for him to have gone in there (there was a lot of room once you get inside) and been unable to squeeze out for whatever reason.

The decoration had a hole in the bottom. I was able to count all the others but not him. So I held it up until I saw him drop past the hole (it was hollow on the inside so he just dropped into the lower half where there was still water) and then sawed off above the hole while holding it in the water. I then had to tip it the other way for him to come out where I had sawed it.

I'm glad I did it. He now has Ich though and because I didn't see him for days before I did that I think he may have been stuck in there a while. Started treatment already though. :)

Oh, this happened recently?! It was a good thing you didn't hesitate then! Poor li'l guy... and now he has Ich. :(

I wish you well on your treatment! It sounds like you caught it early though, (well as early as you could w/ your li'l guy being MIA).

Yeah, just the other day. I noticed spots last night. he has his color back now but spots came with it.

Yeah I definitely caught it very early.

I'm planning to put that ornament back in, but seal the larger holes with aquarium silicone first to stop them going inside. :)

10 Gallon Betta Tank

In lieu of starting a different thread for my 10 Gallon Betta Tank, I figured I would just give it a quick mention on this one.

After battling w/ setting up the tank, picking up and acclimated the critters, and taking care of a hyper toddler that wouldn't keep his hands out of the tank water lol, this was the result.

Residents include, (1) Male Betta, and (2) African Dwarf Frogs.

I went w/ a "woodsy" look to this tank to help compliment the background. I did want to add black gravel, but after reading reviews, it appears that some brands fade and I didn't want to take that chance. So I went w/ the natural pea gravel, (which should be easier for the ADF's to travel across). I also purchased a really cool faux wood ornament and ended up sterilizing the ornaments/artificial plants that were in my QT. (I didn't have much to spend on new ornaments/plants, so I guess those will make do). Oh and there's a piece of petrified wood in there too. I just soaked it for a couple of days and scrubbed it down before adding it to the tank.

Shortly after introducing them to the tank, the Betta and ADF's have made themselves right at home! :D

At first the Betta was pretty intent on fighting my HOB filter. LOL He was flaring his gills constantly at it, so I guess he thought it was another Betta? However, once I added the background, BOOYAH! he was fine. Crazy Bettas and their attitudes. :rolleyes:

Both ADF's appear to be healthy. Although, one seems to be way more active than the other. I'm guessing that the change of scenery may be to blame for the 1 ADF being "lazy". At least that's what I hope because they were both pretty active in the store and the bag. Time will tell. The active ADF, however, has made his way throughout that entire tank without a problem.

This is my first time owning ADF's so it's going to be a learning experience, no doubt! They certainly are entertaining to watch! :D

Sadly, I only got one good photo of one of the ADF's, (the other pics were way too blurry). Eventually I will need to figure out how to adjust my camera settings so I can take better pics. ;)

Attachments

• AA-Aq029.jpg
    AA-Aq029.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 209
  • AA-Aq031.jpg
    AA-Aq031.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 196
  • AA-Aq028.jpg
    AA-Aq028.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
Beautiful tank, and beautiful betta.

I liked the woodsy approach,

Thanks! I like the "woodsy" look too. That's why I (sort of) went that route w/ my 55 gallon tank. Of course, I say "sort of" because my husband was adamant about having blue gravel in his tank. lol Nevertheless, I couldn't argue w/ him, so I just made it work by adding driftwood and "rustic" decor.

Back
Top Bottom