55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was doing more research on loaches and was wondering the forums thoughts were on to yoyo loaches they look pretty good

Yoyo loaches can get as large as 10" in some cases, so they're going to be a bit large to fit a group of them (they prefer groups of 3+, 5 or more would be ideal) in addition to your other choices. If you dropped the pictus catfish from your stocking plan you could fit 5 of them. I'm not sure that they're any easier to find than the dwarf chain loaches, but they are a little less expensive at least.

I saw that they only reached sizes of 6 in on a loach website. What's up with that?

6" is the most common max size, but they have been seen to grow to 10" depending on the genetics and environment they're in. Even if you go on the 6" max size assumption, it's still overstocking the tank if you go with 5 of them on top of the pictus group.

6" is the most common max size, but they have been seen to grow to 10" depending on the genetics and environment they're in. Even if you go on the 6" max size assumption, it's still overstocking the tank if you go with 5 of them on top of the pictus group.
i dont believe they get to 10 inches. 7 maybe,but not 10

I agree, most sites I've visited ( close to 25) say they only grow to 5 to 6 in

I agree most of them stay around 6", but as I said, even if you go on the 6" assumption I think 5 of them will be too much for the tank in combination with the catfish, barbs, and pleco... Aqadvisor mentioned the potential 10" mark in rare cases, so I thought it should be pointed out is all.

Ok thanks I'm also thinking about getting another Emperor 400 for the other side of the tank so I would have plenty of filtration then

Would there be any reason not to get a second filter?

All of your planned species do fine with a bit of extra current and appreciate super clean water, so a second filter would be a good idea. It's not mandatory, but definitely beneficial.

Luananeko said:
All of your planned species do fine with a bit of extra current and appreciate super clean water, so a second filter would be a good idea. It's not mandatory, but definitely beneficial.

Ok and what about evaporation? My dad think too much water will evaporate, is this true?

Ok and what about evaporation? My dad think too much water will evaporate, is this true?

Not if you have a tight fitting lid. You'll lose a little water evaporating through the gaps where your filters flow into the tank, especially since you're using a HOB filter, but as long as things are snug elsewhere this will trap a layer of humid air along the top of the tank and help reduce your evaporation pretty well.

If you're still worried about evaporation, take a look into a canister filter for your second filter. You can position their outflow under the water surface, plus it doesn't require a big slot to be cut out of the top like a HOB needs. Those two factors combined will drop your evaporation issues from a second filter down to next to nothing.

Are there any canister filters that are as cheap as the emperor 400 but still as efficient?

I would also like a red tailed shark is it possible with this setup

My Rena Filstar XP3 filter is the first canister filter I've used and cost $129. Not sure how that compares to the price you found on the Emperor. It's been well worth the cost. When you compare how much filtration capacity the XP3 has to the Emperor it's a bit of a joke though. The XP3 has 3 containers worth of filtration media where each container is equal to all 4 of the cartridges in the Emperor. It has a lower water turnover rate, but the water that goes through it is filtered far more. I'm actually decommissioning the Emperor 400 that I was using in favor of just using the XP3, and that's for a 75 gallon tank.

Edit: Missed the red tail question. A red tail might not like your yo yo loaches as he might mistake them for other sharks. If you're still planning on keeping the pictus catfish on top of the loaches I really wouldn't try to fit anything else in, especially not another 4-5" bottom dwelling fish.

Back
Top Bottom