55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just put in a $65 plant order at aquariumplants.com.

Here's my list:
4 of : Cryptocoryne, Retrospiralis (Cryptocoryne retrospiralis)
2 of : Cryptocoryne, Undulatus (Cryptocoryne undulatus)
3 of : Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
4 of : Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
4 of : Rotala Indica (Rotala roundifolia)
1 of : Sagittaria, Dwarf Subulata (Sagittaria subulata)(10 plants per order)
1 of : Sword, Amazon (Echinorodus bleheri) Pot Medium
6 of : Water Sprite(Ceratopteris thalictroides)

The hornwort is going to be used as a floater for about a month. I think the water sprite will be the basis of my background, with the others acting as mid-foreground. I want to have the dwarf sag dominating the foreground again. Once I get back to my apartment I am going to place all the soil,sand and DW in so that I can start getting things ready. I hope this order ships this week.

Let me know what you guys think.

Plants come tomorrow, currently rinsing my sand...I bought a dust mask this time around, because the amount of silica that comes out of that bag is horrendous. Even with the mask I can still feel myself breathing it in; let the headaches begin.

Got my plants early this morning, just finished planting/filling/cleaning up. All plants were in top-notch condition and well wrapped. I ordered too many Rotala, and way too much Hornwort, but it's okay. Not sure how I feel about the Spiralis...Dwarf Sag came a little tall, but once it starts running and sprouting new leaves I'm going to pluck the longer ones. Excuse that big rock holding the DW down. Here it is:

img_1767103_0_d180e6b4867b13f292c85273ad48c14a.jpg

img_1767103_1_4aa51f1a30f4e0a9987751260de929e6.jpg

img_1767103_2_2046a041b2062ac5a9b374367e421442.jpg

img_1767103_3_14bb452ebd5de8f88f69fbdb3d05c7b1.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Few hours after water change. Check out the growth on the Water Sprite; I think the Hornwort grew as well.

img_1779054_0_dfba1657509a0998dd3c71320c7ddee1.jpg

Thanks! One more thing: Upon closer inspection, I can see new growth coming through the sand on the base of nearly all of my Crypts with the exception of the Spiralis. :-D. Happy!

Thank you. I'm particuarly excited because I think this tank might finally be the "right one". No algae yet + plant growth is making me happy. I have duckweed growing in the Hornwort area, hoping it won't get too out of control. Going to get fish next week...parameters are very low and in safe levels, so I may just stick with the silent cycle.

Marconis said:
Thank you. I'm particuarly excited because I think this tank might finally be the "right one". No algae yet + plant growth is making me happy. I have duckweed growing in the Hornwort area, hoping it won't get too out of control. Going to get fish next week...parameters are very low and in safe levels, so I may just stick with the silent cycle.

Looks great mate well done, just keep an eye on the algae its very easy to get an outbreak in a dirt tank I should now I have 6 of them :)

Hornwort grows like a weed but it's great for the initial stages of a dirt tank. I think it's one of the main reasons why I dont have an algae bloom in my ten gallon. It's dirted as well but the dirt has seeped through the Eco-complete cap and is all over the top of it. :( slowly siphoning it out. Your tank is finally going well for you. Glad to see that.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I got the Hornwort this time to help combat the algae, seems to be working so far.

Back
Top Bottom