75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ryan-peddle said:
Yahhhhh I love when stuff arrives fast looks good but its for your 75 right?

Yes its is for the 75. I just wanted to see what it would look like ;)

As I have been using my new light I have noticed that there are some slots that look like you can attach a fan to. I want to get some fans for it but I am not sure what kind of fans to get. The thing that stumps me is it needs to be the standard 120volt outlet and I have not found any small fans that have a household electrical outlet. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110725_123644.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110725_123644.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 88
Nice looking tank and light. I have been following this and will get the same light for my 55 gallon maybe for my anniversary.... too bad the wife doesn't know about AA... I would love to know how it works for you.

Deckape said:
Nice looking tank and light. I have been following this and will get the same light for my 55 gallon maybe for my anniversary.... too bad the wife doesn't know about AA... I would love to know how it works for you.

I really like the light so far. It isn't the most solid fixture I have seen but I think it will be just fine. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice (bright) light.

fishfanatic said:
I really like the light so far. It isn't the most solid fixture I have seen but I think it will be just fine. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice (bright) light.

Thanks...will it be putting you in the zone for CO2?

Deckape said:
Thanks...will it be putting you in the zone for CO2?

I bought the 4 bulb model, so yes co2 would be a good investment. I currently have a co2 system and a dose with pps pro. (Although I don't even have the 75 set up) :(
I am hopping to get it set up this week (my brother just got married so things have been busy)

fishfanatic said:
I bought the 4 bulb model, so yes co2 would be a good investment. I currently have a co2 system and a dose with pps pro. (Although I don't even have the 75 set up) :(
I am hopping to get it set up this week (my brother just got married so things have been busy)

Here we go with this addiction... thanks and have a good one

Ok I finally found some free time to work on my tank. I have a question... how hard would it be to paint the plastic trim around the tank? The trim is a old looking wood, but I want to paint it black, is this a good idea? I imagine I would have to lightly sand the plastic, prime it, then paint it black? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There is a product called Krylon Fusion spray paint you can paint plastic, glass, stone, wood, ect works amazing and you don't have to sand it goes for about 7-8$ per can at wal-mart

ryan-peddle said:
There is a product called Krylon Fusion spray paint you can paint plastic, glass, stone, wood, ect works amazing and you don't have to sand it goes for about 7-8$ per can at wal-mart

Great! What color would you recommend? Would white look bad?

That's all up to you I like classic black but if it's your tank go with your taste I always wanted to try aqua blue but I chicken out and go black

Ok so I went a little overboard on the blue tape! (I figure better safe than sorry)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110801_153124.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110801_153124.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 99
ryan-peddle said:
That's ok I would cut a piece of cardboard for the top so no paint gets in

What color are you going with?

I covered it with some news paper. I am just going to paint it black, I don't know if it should be a glossy black or more of a flat black what do you think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110801_165408.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110801_165408.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 85
ryan-peddle said:
I use glossy but I like shiny things lol

I am not fermilure with this kind of paint, I will have to see if they have like a simi-gloss. I wont be able to get the paint till latter (stores don't like to sell spray paint to 16 year olds).

I have heard of people painting the back of there tanks as a back ground. Does this work well in the long term? Would using a algae magnet rub off the paint?

They do have a semi gloss black and this paint works great for glass too just be sure to read the label cause there is one that works on glass and plastic a lot of people on this site use this paint to do a background and it's very durable I dont know about the algae magnet cause I don't use one on the back of my tank cause it leaves food for my farlowellas

Back
Top Bottom