75g reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently a marineland led double bright. Upgrading next month before adding coral to either two reef breeders LEDs, two taotronics units, or a six bulb t5. Not positive yet

Scratch the 6 bulb t5- go for LED: IMO! I just upgraded from 50gallon to 75 and have t5 and ill be getting LEDS. A lot of hydro used w those and the heat they give off is a pain! I originally had LEDs and switched to t5. Bad idea

Scratch the 6 bulb t5- go for LED: IMO! I just upgraded from 50gallon to 75 and have t5 and ill be getting LEDS. A lot of hydro used w those and the heat they give off is a pain! I originally had LEDs and switched to t5. Bad idea

I would definitely prefer LEDs but hanging is not an option. I'm still waiting for further feedback about sitting them on a glass canopy.

I would definitely prefer LEDs but hanging is not an option. I'm still waiting for further feedback about sitting them on a glass canopy.

There's lots of options for that too. Hanging isn't an option for me either. Ecoxotic makes a good one ive heard.

There's lots of options for that too. Hanging isn't an option for me either. Ecoxotic makes a good one ive heard.

Not sure, haven't looked into them but not sure i can get two of any long fixtures for under five hundred

Can't hang the LEDs with this? (Assuming the reason you can't hang them is b/c can't put in ceiling mounts)

AquaticLife Stand Light Fixture Hanger

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I just redecorated my room and the centerpiece of art is behind and slightly above the tank. Also are those mounts supposed to slide under the tank? Wouldn't be happening with 75 gallons already in there.

Oh that sucks :/. They go into a wood support of the stand. You'd need some room behind the tank to attach it. Directions if you want to take a peek: http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/AK01209.pdf

Thanks, considering all options for sure. Mr x said taotronics would be fine on a glass canopy and he knows his stuff, so just looking for more confirmation and if I would need standard, sixty degree, or ninety degree optics. Fingers crossed

Thanks, considering all options for sure. Mr x said taotronics would be fine on a glass canopy and he knows his stuff, so just looking for more confirmation and if I would need standard, sixty degree, or ninety degree optics. Fingers crossed

Agree with him (yes he does know his stuff well!), if they are dimmable, then there shouldn't be a problem with it being on the glass. Great that you're not rushing your decision :). I have a 6 bulb T5 HO fixture on my 70 and the legs aren't stable/don't fit the frame when they are the highest, so they have to be about 4 inches from the water (if that makes sense). I have to put all types of corals on the sand or close to the bottom or else they get fried...So I'm probably going to go with the hanging kit. LEDs seem like the best option for your situation.

Agree with him (yes he does know his stuff well!), if they are dimmable, then there shouldn't be a problem with it being on the glass. Great that you're not rushing your decision :). I have a 6 bulb T5 HO fixture on my 70 and the legs aren't stable/don't fit the frame when they are the highest, so they have to be about 4 inches from the water (if that makes sense). I have to put all types of corals on the sand or close to the bottom or else they get fried...So I'm probably going to go with the hanging kit. LEDs seem like the best option for your situation.

Thanks! Appreciate the input. You're another very reliable member here! I didn't foresee a problem either as they are dimmable. Just not sure about the optics and if they would be dispersed enough being so close to the tank.

You will not need optics unless your tank is over 30" deep. The standard LEDs have a good spread even without them.

I also noticed someone mentioned Ecoxotic. The LEDs on those are not very bright and the ballast is not very reliable.

You will not need optics unless your tank is over 30" deep. The standard LEDs have a good spread even without them.

I also noticed someone mentioned Ecoxotic. The LEDs on those are not very bright and the ballast is not very reliable.

Thanks for the info. Do you think the spread would be okay sitting directly on the tank?

I had mine sitting on the glass until I mounted it and the spread was decent on a 16 inch tall cube. What you have to worry about is the intensity directly under the light. The outer edges were bright enough to support LPS and lower light SPS. I had to turn it down to 20% power on the whites and 10% on actinics.

I now have it at 7-8" above the water line and am only running it at 30% whites and 20% blues with good growth on my SPS. I had to move my birdnest corals to the outer edge of my tank and they are doing well off to the side of the light. My cube is 23" wide and 14" front to back.

I had mine sitting on the glass until I mounted it and the spread was decent on a 16 inch tall cube. What you have to worry about is the intensity directly under the light. The outer edges were bright enough to support LPS and lower light SPS. I had to turn it down to 20% power on the whites and 10% on actinics.

I now have it at 7-8" above the water line and am only running it at 30% whites and 20% blues with good growth on my SPS. I had to move my birdnest corals to the outer edge of my tank and they are doing well off to the side of the light. My cube is 23" wide and 14" front to back.

Awesome. Can you dim it lower than ten percent?

Lights directly on top. Less than 30% power

ForumRunner_20130109_003052.jpg

Lights mounted 7-8" Plenty of power to light a deeper tank at full power but corals closest to the light will need to be acclimated very slowly.

ForumRunner_20130109_003313.jpg

Awesome. Can you dim it lower than ten percent?

10% is the lowest but is very dim if your tank is deep. The whites seem to be easily accepted by the corals but the actinics are very intense and some of my corals react poorly. To the human eye the actinics seem dim. I am starting my actinics back at 10% and going up 5% each week to see if they adjust better.

The second picture was taken with the actinics channel off. I forgot if the first picture had them on or not.

10% is the lowest but is very dim if your tank is deep. The whites seem to be easily accepted by the corals but the actinics are very intense and some of my corals react poorly. To the human eye the actinics seem dim. I am starting my actinics back at 10% and going up 5% each week to see if they adjust better.

The second picture was taken with the actinics channel off. I forgot if the first picture had them on or not.

Thanks, lots of helpful stuff!

Back
Top Bottom