75g reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The light are around 8lbs each. You do not want it sitting on glass for long term. Why not just mount them? The dimmer works and if it is slowly acclimated is not a problem.

The light are around 8lbs each. You do not want it sitting on glass for long term. Why not just mount them? The dimmer works and if it is slowly acclimated is not a problem.

mount them? I can't hang them for previously mentioned reasons. Are there some kind of mounting brackets?

In terms of them being eight pounds... sitting on glass long term is not an issue. Think about how much pressure is against your glass aquarium from water. Hundreds of pounds. Glass is tough.

The glass on the top of my tank is very thin. It was bending and all it would take was a quick change of temperature to shatter. The glass around a fish tank is thicker and has even pressure.

Lights can be mounted on hangers, brackets mounted to the stand, or brackets mounted to the rims of the tanks. Check the forums for ideas.

I have 2x bulb t5 fixture from coral life... It has metal extensions on it... I sit it on the top of the tank... And I only paid $99.99 for it... It's also cheaper then getting a 4 bulb fixture for $499.99.... Ill take a picture of it later when I get home

Also I have an aqueon 3tube fixture... And it also has the expandable clips on it... But it's only recommended for some corals...

The glass on the top of my tank is very thin. It was bending and all it would take was a quick change of temperature to shatter. The glass around a fish tank is thicker and has even pressure.

Lights can be mounted on hangers, brackets mounted to the stand, or brackets mounted to the rims of the tanks. Check the forums for ideas.

I bought a higher quality glass canopy. It's tough for sure, I have no concern about that. You're right about even pressure though, although I think the lights are large enough to have a lot of distributed pressure.

As mentioned I can't hang more than about four inches, if at all because of the artwork behind the tank. There are no brackets that will sit it just above the tank that I'm aware of. There wouldnt be enough room on the stand to attach hangers there.

I have 2x bulb t5 fixture from coral life... It has metal extensions on it... I sit it on the top of the tank... And I only paid $99.99 for it... It's also cheaper then getting a 4 bulb fixture for $499.99.... Ill take a picture of it later when I get home

Also I have an aqueon 3tube fixture... And it also has the expandable clips on it... But it's only recommended for some corals...

Thanks, I'm still considering t5. I could easily get a six bulb fixture within my budget, but so many people are recommending leds because of bulb replacement. I also really like the shimmer effect of leds and the fact that they're dimmable.

If your tank is 4' long the lights sitting on glass will leave some spots uncovered.

I am actually thinking about using LEDs as my main 10K lights and supplementing with T5 actinics. The actinics from my LEDs do not make the corals color like T5s and seem to be too intense to turn up high.

If your tank is 4' long the lights sitting on glass will leave some spots uncovered.

I am actually thinking about using LEDs as my main 10K lights and supplementing with T5 actinics. The actinics from my LEDs do not make the corals color like T5s and seem to be too intense to turn up high.

Instead of dimming, with the use of t5s, I assume you would just run a couple of the bulbs when light acclimating?

Maybe I'll just keep my 1 watt leds for shimmer and add a t5 fixture for the actual growth and color.

I am currently running my second channel of LED actinics at the lowest setting and slowly ramping up the first channel which is a mix of white and blue LEDs. I just prefer the T5 actinics and other bulb options and will look into mounting some to the side of my LED fixture.

On another note, here is my new bangaii cardinal, being a little shy. There is a little bit of chasing from one of the clowns right now.

2zisi7l.jpg

One of my favorite fish. Love them in groups, but not gonna try in a tank this size.

So 3-4 weeks ago I saw a flameback angel and fell in love. I've been going back and forth because of their being risky with coral. However I'm considering doing a mushroom only tank now. I was previously considering doing lps only, but I love the variety of mushrooms.

1. Anyone have experience with these angels? I'm torn between African flameback and Pygmy cherub so please give me your input.

2. I currently have a 1050 Hydor Koralia and flow from my return pump. Is this sufficient flow for a mushroom tank?

3. I've read that bangaii cardinals are nocturnal, but also read that they are diurnal; which is it?

So 3-4 weeks ago I saw a flameback angel and fell in love. I've been going back and forth because of their being risky with coral. However I'm considering doing a mushroom only tank now. I was previously considering doing lps only, but I love the variety of mushrooms.

1. Anyone have experience with these angels? I'm torn between African flameback and Pygmy cherub so please give me your input.

2. I currently have a 1050 Hydor Koralia and flow from my return pump. Is this sufficient flow for a mushroom tank?

3. I've read that bangaii cardinals are nocturnal, but also read that they are diurnal; which is it?

My brother has an Eibl's Angelfish or I think they are also called a red strip angel, and he doesn't touch any of his softies. Our Lfs told us it can be hit and miss. More like a 50/50 chance. No experience with either of your choices, just trying to help with angels in general.
2. In my experience, mushrooms don't like a lot of flow. The lower the better in fact. It's more of a light issue than anything. Moderate or higher light.
3. I have a couple cardinals that cruise at all times of the day, and they go to bed when everyone else does. Good fish that likes to cruise together, pretty neat mated pair of you get an urchin too. They will sometimes move from their urchin to the other side of the tank when someone walks by but it's not out of the normal for my fish to dart at night if the TVs on.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the angel.

Thanks for the advice JMKB. I hear mushrooms are pretty pugnant to fish, so I think I'll be okay as well. I am planning on getting a four bulb t5 fixture to go along with my double bright LEDs.

I have considered an urchin, but I hear they can mow everything down, accidently eat some coral, and will definitely eat all coraline algae.

Yeah I heard that too, but mines cool. Plus my neices and nephews love it. He doesn't really eat anything too crazy but I did see him one time when I had a diatom bloom, he mowed right through that stuff and had it clean in about a day.

Yeah I heard that too, but mines cool. Plus my neices and nephews love it. He doesn't really eat anything too crazy but I did see him one time when I had a diatom bloom, he mowed right through that stuff and had it clean in about a day.

That is tempting, considering I have diatoms right now. I assume it's a black longspine urchin?

Yes. Long spine. Not trying to convince you, but it's pretty cool to watch my cardinals go down in the spines at night.

Yes. Long spine. Not trying to convince you, but it's pretty cool to watch my cardinals go down in the spines at night.

cool, like I said I will only have mushrooms. Think they'll be safe? Longspine urchins are supposed to be "reef safe" but if they take chunks out of rocks who knows. Then again, the mushrooms would likely grow back and multiply anyway.

I'm running a reef octupus in sump nw-110. I've had it about two weeks now. I know there is a break in period, but it hasn't pulled anything into the collection cup except a very small amount of clear water.
The water bubbles up to the top of the neck (not all the way up near the collection cup). Is this the right level to have it at? Am I doing something wrong? I can take photos tomorrow if needed. It is sitting in about eight inches of water.

Try raising the height of the skimmer and lowering it and see if makes a difference.

Took your advice, put it on a stand I made of tupperwear.
It seems to be greenish at the top (above the neck) Should the water be going very close to the top and over time only bubbles will go into the collection cup?

Couple more questions.

1.) For those of you that have had dwarf angels (coral nippers or not), did they ever bother your mushrooms?

2.) For those of you that have had emerald crabs (coral eaters or not), did they ever bother your mushrooms?

I believe mushrooms are less likely to be bothered because they are supposed to taste bad to most fish. They can sting corals, what about fish/inverts?

Back
Top Bottom