75g reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Flame Angel and four or five Emerald Crabs and have not had either nip at any corals. The only exception was a dying open brain that got scavenged by shrimps and crabs.

Thanks Keith. I am big on fish and crustaceans, but would hate to spend money on decent lighting, just to have all of my mushrooms eaten. I will probably go for it and make sure everything is well fed.

cool, like I said I will only have mushrooms. Think they'll be safe? Longspine urchins are supposed to be "reef safe" but if they take chunks out of rocks who knows. Then again, the mushrooms would likely grow back and multiply anyway.

Long spine urchins are completely safe with coral. I had a mixed reef with softies to SPS and they never messed with anything. The long spine urchins are very good at keeping my rock clean and are ninja like in how they go around things.

The pincushion urchins however tend to knock things over and they have a bad habit of attaching things to decorate their shells. But still no eating of corals.

Long spine urchins are completely safe with coral. I had a mixed reef with softies to SPS and they never messed with anything. The long spine urchins are very good at keeping my rock clean and are ninja like in how they go around things.

The pincushion urchins however tend to knock things over and they have a bad habit of attaching things to decorate their shells. But still no eating of corals.

Thanks for the tip. I've heard they are typically reef safe, but as with most things I've heard horror stories

When I first got my urchin, I put him I'm and the was reading some advanced stuff on em and kinda had a minor panic attack. A guy had a picture of a long spine with like 5-6 zoas and a couple mushroom where the urchin had pierced thought them. He claimed it just happened. Did a bit more and couldn't find anything else to support this, may have just been a one time deal. I've never ever had a problem with mine and I've had him for over 2 years. Never once bothered anything in my tank except when I clean my fuge, he loves my grape kelp.

When I first got my urchin, I put him I'm and the was reading some advanced stuff on em and kinda had a minor panic attack. A guy had a picture of a long spine with like 5-6 zoas and a couple mushroom where the urchin had pierced thought them. He claimed it just happened. Did a bit more and couldn't find anything else to support this, may have just been a one time deal. I've never ever had a problem with mine and I've had him for over 2 years. Never once bothered anything in my tank except when I clean my fuge, he loves my grape kelp.

Thanks guys. Feeling better about it. Nitrates are around fifteen, would like to get them consistently below ten first.

My angel ate almost every type of coral: zoas, birdsnest, brain, chalice, etc. but come to think of it, he never did bother the mushrooms.

My angel ate almost every type of coral: zoas, birdsnest, brain, chalice, etc. but come to think of it, he never did bother the mushrooms.
That is funny and not funny at the same time.... I would have ran that thing to another tank or back to the Lfs if he went after all that! Crazy that he never ate the mushrooms though. Kinda works out for him....

That is funny and not funny at the same time.... I would have ran that thing to another tank or back to the Lfs if he went after all that! Crazy that he never ate the mushrooms though. Kinda works out for him....

Oh, took all the rock out to catch him and he now happily resides in the FOWLR tank. :) My corals are happier and I'm happier. And the angel seems fine in the FOWLR. Was a pain to take all the rock out to get him, though.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully mine stay safe as well! At my lfs they have emerald crabs in their mushroom tank so I guess I'll be okay there too. What type of angel did you have beengirl?

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully mine stay safe as well! At my lfs they have emerald crabs in their mushroom tank so I guess I'll be okay there too. What type of angel did you have beengirl?

I have a half black angel. I still have him, he's just move to the FOWLR. :)

Would adding an African Flameback angel next be a terrible idea? My LFS has one and I love it, but I still plan to add the following fish

tailspot blenny
royal gramma
sixline wrasse.

I'm worried about aggression

Would adding an African Flameback angel next be a terrible idea? My LFS has one and I love it, but I still plan to add the following fish

tailspot blenny
royal gramma
sixline wrasse.

I'm worried about aggression

I don't think the angel will mess with any of those but I would add him last. He will prob run your tank, hence adding him last.

Oh by the way I totally forgot to tell you.. My Lfs has several dwarf angels in his tanks, one if which is a flame back. He says it never picks on any of his corals ever. He also said they are pretty hardy. Of all the angels, he said you made a good choice. I'm going for a poters next, but a close second would be a flame back.

Cool, thanks JMKB. I figured it would be best to add the angel last, it's just hard seeing the perfect fish you want and knowing you have to wait!

I heard half blacks are more aggressive than other angels. This true with yours?

Mines not really aggressive. I've seen him chase fish a couple of times, but never touched anyone else. He lives in a tank with a jawfish, Firefish, clown, chalk bass and orange striped cardinal without any problems so far. Fingers crossed.

Cool, thanks JMKB. I figured it would be best to add the angel last, it's just hard seeing the perfect fish you want and knowing you have to wait!

I know the feeling... Reef keeping is all about hurry up and wait!

Mines not really aggressive. I've seen him chase fish a couple of times, but never touched anyone else. He lives in a tank with a jawfish, Firefish, clown, chalk bass and orange striped cardinal without any problems so far. Fingers crossed.

Right on, well was curious about it. Glad I hear its a good community fish.

Back
Top Bottom