a few simple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snipes287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey do I need a special kind of substrate when i start my tank or can I just use normal rocks/sand? I read some stuff but nothing really specific. the reason I ask is because I want the bottom to be a certan coller and it would be nice if I could use normal rocks/sand. but if I have to use different stuff then I guess thats fine. and is it better to use sand or rocks?

how do I vacume the tank without vacuming the roots of the plant out? and if you have sand, won't that cloud up the tank and such? will the vacume suck the sand out of the tank?

uhhh...I think thats it for now

well i think its easier to keep rock than sand since water doesnt flow as good trough sand than rock so some food may stay there that the fish dont eat and later change the quality of your water. Also you if you do add sand it will cloud the water but only for a few hours and then settle down. Ive never heard that you need a specific type of substrate but i rather buy whatever kind of substrate i getting from somewhere i know it wont harm my fishes but i have heard some people getting soil from woods or places like that were the soil is not contaminated with fertilizers or any other chemicals. As for the vacuum question i cant really answer it. Well i know somebody will be able to give oyu better help with this but this is all i know i hope ive been of assistance :D

You don't necessarily need a specialized substrate to grow plants but they do help. Eco-Complete Planted Tank Substrate is probably the overall best choice because it is easy to use, looks pretty good, and contains tons of nutrients for your plants. It is black in color. Flourite is also good but it's color is a little jarring to some (sort of a red, clay-type color) and is very dusty when first used, requiring a lot of rinsing. There are others but these are the two most popular here in the U.S.

Sand works well too, just make sure to find non-silica-based sand. If you go to Home Depot you can find great aquarium sand being sold as 'Play Sand'. It is quartz-based and works remarkably well in aquariums. And like redflame said, sand won't cloud your water for long as it will quickly sink back to the bottom when disturbed.

Standard aquarium gravel also works just fine but you should supplement it with root tabs for your root feeding plants since it contains no nutrients itself.

Vacuuming the tank should be done carefully when plants are present. Don't disturb the substrate beyond getting off any surface debris. The plants will take care of any debris that sticks below the surface (it makes great fertilizer for plants).

Hope this helps :)

ok thanks allot that was EXACTLY what I wanted to know.

I just thought of something though, this eco-complete stuff...does it need to be replaced after a while or dose it keep its nutrients for a long time? and how much more is it than just normal gravel? my lfs has gravel for 14.99 for a 25 lbs bag.

ohh...and...if I have a 55 gal (48 longx 13 widex 20 high) how many inches high does the gravel need to be and about how many lbs do you think that will be?

Eco-Complete will last for years without needing to be changed. It is more expensive than normal gravel. It takes 1.5 bags of EC to cover one square foot of aquarium to a 3" depth (3" is perfect for plants) so you'll probably need five or six bags. Each bag is 20 pounds.

It is a little pricier than regular gravel but right now www.aquariumplants.com (one of AA's sponsors) has EC on sale for $9.95 per 20 lb. bag. Even with the delivery surcharge that's cheaper than you're likely to find it anywhere else. I can't recommend it highly enough if you're looking to start your planted tank out on the right foot :)

Back
Top Bottom