A tank with very high water currents!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a new 55 gallon tank, with a lot of current from the filter, what fish will do fine with these currents?

Do check...the sort of filter you have will not only impact the sort of fish you can have, but we may be able to offer some ideas on managing that current. Have you yet cycled your tank?

have ornaments so your fish can hide behind them if it's too strong. try putting something infron of the outlet to ease the current. have the outler shooting at the glass and not straight into the water.

research what fish live in rough waters. my gouramis do fine and my current is quite stronge

sorry i can't find the company that makes it, but it is really big, and has like a water wheel, water turn thing in it, and the part where water comes out is like a weird nozzle that like shots would the water to the glassand this causes the current, and for some reason althoughthe nozzle is pointed to the farthest corner it circulates in the eintire tank, and makes every where very unsettleed, i know it is not a sponge filter, cause i have one of those in another tank.

Yes, it is very identical to the one that krap101 has in his link, exactly except mine is slightly bigger and there is one really big wheel than two smaller ones.

sounds like the 280... but there isnt anything bigger than the 400 (which i posted)

maybe the penguin or something? what color is it? is it new?

It sounds like second natures DE filter with 3 bio-wheels modified onto it.. ROFL.. I dont think that bigals sells what is being talked about..

I think a picture would be helpfull..

And if you could look on the bottom of the motor housing and figure out who makes it that would help alot..

sry blazey but they make emperor 400's.. lol. it looks like a bigger version of the 330

I said the Emperor 400 is the biggest they make. He was talking about how it looked like the emperor 400, but it had one bio-wheel, which is what the 280 has.

On both emperors, you should be able to adjust the flow. On the top you will see a gray flow adjuster that the more you push down on it the slower the flow gets.

I find it hard to imagine that any typical single-biowheel HOB would overfilter a 55gal, so let's assume you have adequate filtration. Once a filter gets an accumulation of bacteria and debris the flow slows down considerably and it may not turn out to be a high current tank. I have to add multiple filters to create decent current on a tank that size, so let's move on to the next phase.

What kind of tank do you have in mind? A display tank with groups of small, active fish and live or fake plants, a bare-bones tank with one or two large, specimen fish, a breeding tank for cranking out some fry to be sold at your aquarium club auction, etc.?

Also, when setting up a new tank it is helpful to know the parameters of your tap water, which is helpful in guiding you towards a certain group of fish over another.

Back
Top Bottom