Advice on setting up my 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XimeD

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I got a 20gal tank 3 months ago (so I am still a newbie) and now I am totally hooked and recently bought a used 75gal on craigslist.

Here's what I have:

-Acrylic 75gal tank 48'' x 15'' x 24'' (L x W x H)
-Stand and Canopy
-48'' fixture - this looks like a regular white fixture not an actual aquarium fixture (ie coralife)
-The fixture came with 2 40W tubes (a philips f40dx T12 daylight 6500K and a ge aquarium/plant tube f40PL/AQ T12 3100K)
-Aqueon 300W 15inch heater
-Rena xP3 canister filter (for up to 175gal, 350GPH)

I am planning on going for the natural look (plants and driftwood)
Things I want advice on:

1) Substrate - sand or gravel? I plan on having a fire eel in there and I have read mixed things about sand. I really like the look of caribsea sunset gold, anyone use this in a planted tank? Would some type of finer gravel be better than sand?

2)Any advice on the kind of drifwood? I am leaning towards malaysian (african is a little too pricey for me)

3)Lighting and plants - are the lights I have adequate for a planted tank as long as I dont keep any of the high light plants (I am at about 1wpg). I am planning on keeping vals, swords, anubias, java fern....the easy ones. Any other suggestion on which other plants be appropriate?

4)Stocking - One of the reasons I wanted a bigger tank is because I have 2 RTTF barbs, 2 giant danios and a common pleco in my 20gal (I lost my peacock eel today :cry:, it climbed/jumped out through my biowheel filter!!!!) and I will be moving those to the 75gal once it cycles. I definitely want a fire eel and if possible another peacock eel. Suggestions on what else I can get? I like bala sharks. Some pictus catfish? My husband says he likes exotic looking fish so any suggestions on these?

5)Fishless cycling - The one question I have about this is whether adding most of my plants when I start cycling would significantly help with cycling or can I gradually add the plants (better for my budget ;)).

6)I am planning on taking an old cartdrige from the filter in my 20gal and sticking that with the biomedia in the canister filter. Is there a better way to seed my tank or would this do?

Sorry for the novel, this is like 5 threads in one, but I appreciate comments on any of these topics.

Thanks,

1. The eel would probably appreciate sand more than gravel. I started using sand because it was cheap. I won't go back to gravel unless I need it for something special. There are two issues I know of with sand:

- It can go anaerobic and build up toxic gas. This can be avoided by stirring it with a coat hanger when you do a PWC or getting MTS to stir it up for you.

- It can eat filter parts. My Penguin HOB didn't like the sand. It ate two impellers. The ACs I use now have no problem with the sand.

I'm way too cheap to use the Caribsea stuff, but I have PFS and play sand in my tanks with live plants.

2. Driftwood is good. Use whatever you can afford, as long as it's clean.

3. I'd consider upgrading the fixture or adding a second. A 4-bulb shop light would work fine. Swords need a little more light than the others on your list.

4. Your common pleco and bala sharks get too big for even a 75g. Pictus cats would be a good choice. Raphael cats and the smaller fancy plecos could also be flashy additions. The eels will limit your choices to anything they can't fit in their mouths.

5. Adding plants won't really help or hinder your cycle. The plants will use the ammonia, etc. as food, but they won't really help you grow your nitrifying bacteria. Add plants as you see fit.

6. If the cartridge is still in use, it's a great way to seed the filter. If the cartridge has dried out, you're really not gaining anything.

Thanks BigJim!

1. I read that MTS can reproduce like crazy and become a problem. What can I get to control the population?

How natural does your PFS look? I like the lighter beige color.

3. So the cheap fixtures are fine as long as they can handle the wattage?

4. Too bad those bala sharks get too big. And yeah I'll have to find a home for my common pleco eventually.

6. Yes the filter cartdrige is still in use, I have had 2 cartdridges inside that filter for about 1.5months. When I "clean" the filter I take the cartridge in the front and squeeze/rinse it in the tank water I take out during PWC and exchange with one in the back. Perhaps this is a little overkill but it has worked for me so far.

1. MTS populations explode if you overfeed. I overfeed a bit to make sure everyone gets some, so I bought a few assassin snails. One or two assassins per tank keep the populations at reasonable levels.

1b. I actually got Quickrete Medium sand, but I swear it's PFS in a different bag for cheaper. Out of the bag, it looks like refined sugar - pure white. It's a tad darker in the tank because of a little detritus and a little algae, but it still looks nice. If you like the tan color, consider play sand. The play sand in my tank is tan with little black and white flecks in it.

3. It's pretty much reflectors and aesthetics that separate an aquarium fixture from a shop fixture. Good aquarium reflectors reflect the light straight down. Shop lights spread it out. A shop light will work fine for all but the truly serious planted tank.

4. Yeah, balas are cool, but they hit 12" and are active fish.

6. Sounds perfect to me.

I looked up the play sand, I think I will go with that.

Would a cave made out of shale rock hurt my eels?

It'll only hurt the eels if it falls on them. You can use aquarium-safe silicone to stick the rocks together for a more secure structure.

+1 to everything stated above. I have playsand in my 80gal and it looks really good. I love it. Good choice. Another good plant you could try is cabomba. I bought 4 shoots of it about 2 months ago. We trim it every water change (once a week) Now our tank is over run with it. It doesnt stop growing.

So, I got a 20gal tank 3 months ago (so I am still a newbie) and now I am totally hooked and recently bought a used 75gal on craigslist.

lol this sounds firmiliar...I started in may with a 20 gal now i have 6 tanks :bowl: lol welcome to MTS...multi tank sydrome :p

lol this sounds firmiliar...I started in may with a 20 gal now i have 6 tanks :bowl: lol welcome to MTS...multi tank sydrome :p

Haha :D Yeah I think I definitely have MTS, but I can't fit any more tanks in my 1 bedroom apartment so I am happy with these. I was surprised I could convince my husband to let me get that 75gal lol

Which cabomba do you have? I was looking at cabomba furcata but it seems that one requires high light. I will eventually add another 2 tube fixture but probably not for a few months so I am at 1wpg which I guess would be considered low light.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

i have cambomba carolina i think its called. i use a plant & aquarium bulb which stimulates growth. its called nutrigrow and its a 40W bulb and its an 80gal tank. i've never had a problem with any of the plants i've kept in there. I've even had banana plants in there when my tank was brackish and most people said they wouldn't survive.

Already had my first mess up =(

Didn't wash that play sand enough and there is still some clay in there but I am rinsing inside the tank now since there is nothing else in there and I have no rush.

How deep should my sand bed be? right now its between 2.5 and 3.5 inch, I'd like sloping. I will be adding MTS and 2 assasin snails in there as soon as I am cycled (fishless)

i have cambomba carolina i think its called. i use a plant & aquarium bulb which stimulates growth. its called nutrigrow and its a 40W bulb and its an 80gal tank. i've never had a problem with any of the plants i've kept in there. I've even had banana plants in there when my tank was brackish and most people said they wouldn't survive.

Do you have any other lights in there or just the 40W?

The guy at the lfs wanted to convince me to retrofit a T5 fixture in there and add CO2 but I am not ready for that yet, plus I don't plan on keeping any of the demanding plants. I do want to add a second T12 fixture so I can get to 2wpg but it wont happen any time soon

Started fishless cycling today, will start a new thread on it =)

Do you have any other lights in there or just the 40W?

no i just have the one light, i've been especailly lucky with my plants. they all grow like crazy. i don't use Co2 either, just flourish. I've only lost 2 plants (2 java ferns) and it was only because they were covvered in snail eggs and i threw them out lol

ahhh yes.... it was absolutely the lack of coffee!

I agree!! We all have it! Now, when do i break the news to my wife that ive already bought a 75 gal to give the 90 gal a friend?? LOL

no i just have the one light, i've been especailly lucky with my plants. they all grow like crazy. i don't use Co2 either, just flourish. I've only lost 2 plants (2 java ferns) and it was only because they were covvered in snail eggs and i threw them out lol

That is good to hear ;) Gives me hope for my75gal with those 80W. I got some fluorish root tabs and seachem excel (they already shipped it and I later found out you can't use it with vals which I plan on having)

Also, if I get to add that second fixture, I might try a DIY CO2 system.

ahhh yes.... it was absolutely the lack of coffee!

I agree!! We all have it! Now, when do i break the news to my wife that ive already bought a 75 gal to give the 90 gal a friend?? LOL

Well, the first few posts we also used MTS for Malaysian Trumpet Snail, but the ones you are referring to are definitely multiple tank syndrome :D

Can't you just tell your wife that that 75gal just followed you home?:cool:

Hey XimeD, keep up the good work. Just noticed one small question left unanswered - 2.5-3.5" of substrate is good! Slope it (or don't) however aesthetically pleases you.

You wouldn't want to go less, because your plants need to root, and more might be overkill, but the depth you have sounds good.

Edit: I hope it was me who convinced you to have the 75gal :lol: I'm happy for you, but I must admit I'm a little peeved you beat me to it :p Oh well, once I get mine we will just have to start a 75 gal club.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom