African dwarf frog fungal infection help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalicoCass

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I work at a local Petsmart where I bought an amazing little ADF named tiny Tim! We have had him in our aquarium now for a few months and he has previously been happy and healthy! I noticed unusual behavior early this week. He was climbing out of the water and clinging to the glass, which is a sign of either poor water quality or illness. I checked all my levels, and reduced ammonia and did a 25% water change, but he still acted off. I also lowered my temp a bit to around 76degrees to make him comfortable. Today when I went to check on him I found that his entire head and face completely covered in a fungal infection! None of my other fish show any signs of illness. I treated the tank with primafix and did some research to see what else I could do for him. I have separated him from the main tank and tried peroxide with a q-tip to remove the fungus with no luck. He is starting to become red around his face, and one of his hands, and swelling. Is there anything else I can do to save his life or is it too late? Also what could have caused his illness? I don’t want to replete any mistakes I may have made if I decide to get another one. Please help??

maybe try api beta antifungal but call them first and ask if its safe, there is a fungi called chytrid fungus which could be in your water depending on the source and its wiping out amphibians around the world could you post a few pictures? also did you put anything in your tank from the wild?

Not sure how to post photos? My water comes from the town (conditioned of course) and I’ve never had anything wild in my tank. I have plenty of pics but not sure how to post them here. He did not make it the night ?

I added an attachment

Attachments

• 128322BA-B4D2-4B8B-809E-B8F9218C5B3F.jpg
    128322BA-B4D2-4B8B-809E-B8F9218C5B3F.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 2,778
  • 03C530B3-BC8F-481C-A483-867FBC98BB76.jpg
    03C530B3-BC8F-481C-A483-867FBC98BB76.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 130
  • AA6F5109-4694-4E97-B16D-7DD3B6F86FCD.jpg
    AA6F5109-4694-4E97-B16D-7DD3B6F86FCD.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 150
im sorry for your loss, i wouldnt put another amphibian in the tank the fungus could still be in there. if you still have the body maybe take it to the vet so they could positively identify the fungus

Should I continue to to treat my tank? None of my fish are showing any signs of illness so maybe whatever killed my frog was species specific?

hmmm im not sure, its most likely species specific if it was chytrid then its specific to amphibians, they have really thin skin compared to fish. Im not an expert sorry.

Back
Top Bottom