Aiptasia- how to get rid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyd619

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 36 gal tank and about 4 or 5 aiptasia have popped up. What is the best way to get rid of them. I have a peppermint shrimp but he doesn't go to the top part of the live rock. Is there a fish that will eat them that can be in a 36 g tank?

with so few, lemon juice, boilinf water or removing the rock and using a Bic are all easy options.

Aiptasia-X worked well for me, turn the pump off before you dose.

Peppermint sometimes works, it worked in my case.

Absolutely do not boil your live rock. Just not worth it when there's other remedies.

Using products to fight aiptasia is pretty crazy because if one stalk exist there's likely others. I hate using that chemical in my coral packed tank. I don't.

I do not know why Peppermint shrimp would die off, as suggested above. As any shrimp they will scavenge throughout the aquarium for food. As long as there is surface area that has algae spores these inverts will live :/ Turn your lights on longer if there's a concern here.

A team of peppermint shrimp would be the best way to eliminate all of the aiptasia including small ones in-between the rocks and plugs we don't see well [yet]. If you have a shrimp eater this kind of sucks... In a 55g tank I would hire a team of 5-8 peppermints depending on the outbreak. They are more comfortable in groups.

A filefish is a good option to get the big ones. Butterfly may eat as well. These guys may pick on polyps or some corals though.. I have a Filefish named "Crusty" I move from client to client every 1-2 months to help me out with the big ones and new clients with them. He's a pal but always has to be removed cause they cause problems w coral.

I like my Mojano wand and laser haha. Peppermint shrimps are way to go imo.

My friend uses boiling water in a turkey baster to get his, I use wand and aiptasia x to get mine. We seem to have 2 different kinds and no one method seems to work best. He tried to use a lighter on some of them but that didn't completely work and I have had reasonable luck with peppermint shrimp. Peppermint shrimp can be hit or miss as well.

I have thought about covering them with a shell and when they move on top to get to the light take out the shell let them die and then rinse in ro water and go after the next one.

As above my peppermint shrimp munches all in sight I catch him for my sump now and again when I see one or 2 in there

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Absolutely do not boil your live rock. Just not worth it when there's other remedies.

Using products to fight aiptasia is pretty crazy because if one stalk exist there's likely others. I hate using that chemical in my coral packed tank. I don't.

I do not know why Peppermint shrimp would die off, as suggested above. As any shrimp they will scavenge throughout the aquarium for food. As long as there is surface area that has algae spores these inverts will live :/ Turn your lights on longer if there's a concern here.

A team of peppermint shrimp would be the best way to eliminate all of the aiptasia including small ones in-between the rocks and plugs we don't see well [yet]. If you have a shrimp eater this kind of sucks... In a 55g tank I would hire a team of 5-8 peppermints depending on the outbreak. They are more comfortable in groups.

A filefish is a good option to get the big ones. Butterfly may eat as well. These guys may pick on polyps or some corals though.. I have a Filefish named "Crusty" I move from client to client every 1-2 months to help me out with the big ones and new clients with them. He's a pal but always has to be removed cause they cause problems w coral.

I like my Mojano wand and laser haha. Peppermint shrimps are way to go imo.

So you suggest known coral eaters in packed coral tanks to rid them of aptasia? Peppermint shrimp do not eat algae. They are carnivores.
All of the livestock suggestions are hit or miss. The aptasia-x is very effective, and harmless to corals unless you get it directly on them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom