Another Betta Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmm. That I don't know. Perhaps a pet store sells filters for tanks 1-5 gallons. I've heard of those. I knew one but I forgot the name. I'll do some research and get back to you

My betta's in a 2.5g long for the moment and he's really active. Seems to offer him more swimming room than one of the bow kits.

I disagree with you, Erin. Although I totally agree that bettas do fabulously in ten gallon tanks, they are pretty expensive. I think that it really depends on the amount of space you have. i don't have a lot of room so I use smaller tanks. Bettas aren't really that big. Only king bettas are quite large. I agree completely that bettas are fish that need space. I just feel that my tanks are roomy enough. Bettas are good fish if you don't have enough room for fish that need more space like tetras.
I don't know what you mean by "that big". Generally keeping even the smallest of nano fish in a 2.5 gal is somewhat controversial. What other 2 inch fish that comes from bodies of water the size of football feilds would you say could be kept in a 2.5 gal tank? None, I'm guessing. It's interesting to me how bettas get singled out and, beyond all reason, are labeled as being suitable for these small tanks. Will they survive in there? Sure. Surviving isn't thriving. I would hope anyone who has ever seen a betta in a larger tank, who had a chance to then observe it's behavior in a 2.5 gal, would have sense enough to realize it wasn't adequate room for them.

At my Walmart a 10 gal kit with incan. hood and AquaTech power filter is $29.97 and a 2.5 gal "betta wave" with no filter is 24.97. An empty 10 gal there is $12.97. At my Petco a 2.5 gal Mini Bow is 34.99 and an empty 10 gal is $12.99. Obviously my statement on pricing was based on what I am seeing locally. It may be different in your area, but as far as I know, in general in this hobby, tanks smaller than 10 gals are usually more expensive than 10 gal tanks or not much cheaper. Seems a shame to give the fish 25% of the space it could have for the same price, with better filtration to boot.

OR lets say even a 5 gal. Take this one for instance: Hawkeye AQ15002 Aquarium Kit - Walmart.com. You likely can't find a 2.5 gal with filter for this price. $26 w/ free shipping site to store. It even comes with a CFL bulb that would normally cost you about $5 to upgrade to. Great deal if you're looking for a small complete set up. It's only lacking a heater.

I don't know what you mean by "that big". Generally keeping even the smallest of nano fish in a 2.5 gal is somewhat controversial. What other 2 inch fish that comes from bodies of water the size of football feilds would you say could be kept in a 2.5 gal tank? None, I'm guessing. It's interesting to me how bettas get singled out and, beyond all reason, are labeled as being suitable for these small tanks. Will they survive in there? Sure. Surviving isn't thriving. I would hope anyone who has ever seen a betta in a larger tank, who had a chance to then observe it's behavior in a 2.5 gal, would have sense enough to realize it wasn't adequate room for them.

Honestly with this argument you could go to the extreme and say it is cruel for us to keep fish in tanks at all, taking them out of huge lakes and rivers. Lake malawi is gynormous and yet we force those cichlids to live in tiny little 70 gallon tanks.

Yet the fish in our tanks are sometimes safer than they are in nature, If cared for properly with good biological filteration, They are free from predators and harsh environmental factors.

While I agree bigger is better, it is not always practical. Bettas with other tank mates can cause issues, and they are usually happiest alone. So a 5 gallon I think is perfectly suitable. Mine make bubble nests, flair, and are extremely healthy and active. A heater is important as well, mine are much happier with temps of 80-82 and become lethargic if the temps drop below 78.

Yes it could, but this isn't a PETA forum. People who feel that way probably aren't going to be on an aquarium forum.

IME bettas are not usually happiest alone. Most bettas I own and have owned have done great in community tanks, and seemed to be more happy and lively in that type of setting. There are definitely those who need their own tanks, but I find that to be the case less often.

I agree a 5 gal heated to 80F is suitable. :)

siva said:
Yes it could, but this isn't a PETA forum. People who feel that way probably aren't going to be on an aquarium forum.

IME bettas are not usually happiest alone. Most bettas I own and have owned have done great in community tanks, and seemed to be more happy and lively in that type of setting. There are definitely those who need their own tanks, but I find that to be the case less often.

I agree a 5 gal heated to 80F is suitable. :)

And on the same note I had a betta in my 55 gallon community who spent most of his time drifting in a corner or hiding in plants. I put him in a 5 gallon and he was much more.active, always checking out his surroundings , flaring at his reflection in the back.

That's not uncommon. If a betta in a larger tank is hanging out in the corner or in plants excessively, the filter current probably needs baffled. Often a simple modification to reduce the flow can stop that behavior. I have bettas in small tanks even that have exhibited that behavior until their filters were baffled. Some bettas can handle more current than others. The rice paddies they originate from are fairly still bodies of water, and the selective breeding we have done to create those long flowing fins only make it harder for them in quicker moving waters.

Aces11 said:
No it's see-through. I feel so bad for him in his bowl :(

Or keep him in a breeder box in the aquarium. It will allow him fresh water flow w/o the chance of hurting others. It could.serve as a perm home if you like the way he looks in there. Something to try. Or the small filtered tank Wrks too. Watch Craigslist for someone getting rid of.one.

I think I'm gonna try to get a mini bow 2.5g for him. Do you think his aggression may lessen if I put him it the breeder net? Does he have any chance of being a peaceful community fish?

Aces11 said:
Does anyone think he has a chance to be peaceful within a community?

Use the same rules I use with cichlids, visual breakes And disorientation. Keep plenty if caves, plants, walls, etc. Move them around too so he doesn't get too dominant of the territory. Bettas are hit or miss in community tanks.

siva said:
That's not uncommon. If a betta in a larger tank is hanging out in the corner or in plants excessively, the filter current probably needs baffled. Often a simple modification to reduce the flow can stop that behavior. I have bettas in small tanks even that have exhibited that behavior until their filters were baffled. Some bettas can handle more current than others. The rice paddies they originate from are fairly still bodies of water, and the selective breeding we have done to create those long flowing fins only make it harder for them in quicker moving waters.

Can you give me an example of how you baffled? I currently have my male crown tail betta in a 40 gal community tank but I have a aqua clear 70 I believe on it and even though he seems happy as a lark, I still wonder if it's too much current for him and the rasboras? So I was wondering how to create a little bit of a baffling effect? :)

Or keep him in a breeder box in the aquarium. It will allow him fresh water flow w/o the chance of hurting others. It could.serve as a perm home if you like the way he looks in there. Something to try. Or the small filtered tank Wrks too. Watch Craigslist for someone getting rid of.one.

Just make sure you don't ever put a betta in a net or box that doesn't allow it surface access since they must be able to breathe through their labyrinth organ.

I think I'm gonna try to get a mini bow 2.5g for him. Do you think his aggression may lessen if I put him it the breeder net? Does he have any chance of being a peaceful community fish?

Not likely. If he's chasing fish and flaring at them he is most likely just not going to work as a community fish. If he was in the tank before the fish he was flaring at, you could try to remove him for a bit, re-arrange the tank, and then add him back in. This would destroy previously established territories and could possibly eliminate his behavior. It's probably more likely that he will just establish a new territory and begin harassing his tankmates again. It depends on the invididual, of course, so I can't say for sure, but that would be your last shot at trying him in a community IMO.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I am going to say the mini-bow's dimensions are 11" X 7.5" X 12.25" and the Hawkeye 5 gal we've recommend has dimensions of 16.5 x 9.38 x 13.75, costs less, comes with a superior filter, and a fluorescent bulb. If you really can't make room for 5 extra inches of lenth and less than 2 more inches of depth, to both save yourself money and give your betta double the gallons, then OK, but I'll never be able to understand that. Just sayin'.

Can you give me an example of how you baffled? I currently have my male crown tail betta in a 40 gal community tank but I have a aqua clear 70 I believe on it and even though he seems happy as a lark, I still wonder if it's too much current for him and the rasboras? So I was wondering how to create a little bit of a baffling effect? :)

I think you'll notice if they are struggling with the current. Keep the flow turned all the way down on your AC (which also actually makes the filter more effecient) and if there is still a problem, on that paticular filter, you'd probably want to use the soda bottle method. I'll add a link that shows how to do the bottle method. :) Filter Currents: A Betta's Worst Nightmare

Back
Top Bottom