Another Betta Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it's see-through. I feel so bad for him in his bowl :(

I would get him a 2.5-5 gallon tank. If he was agressive to your other fish, then it might not be a good idea to let them mingle. And bowls are just so cruel. I would go out and buy him a nice tank so he can be happy and away from other fish. How long did you have him in your big tank? It might take him a couple of days to get adjusted. If yu only had him in there for a little, it wasn't really a fair chance.

Bettafanatic said:
I would get him a 2.5-5 gallon tank. If he was agressive to your other fish, then it might not be a good idea to let them mingle. And bowls are just so cruel. I would go out and buy him a nice tank so he can be happy and away from other fish. How long did you have him in your big tank? It might take him a couple of days to get adjusted. If yu only had him in there for a little, it wasn't really a fair chance.

I only had him in the tank for a day or two

How well planted/decorated was the tank? Giving fish lots of places to hide, and landscape that breaks up line-of-sight while being chased, is helpful.

I have kept bettas with all sorts of community fish, cherry barbs, endlers guppys, tetras and cardinals, Corydoras dwarf frogs the only things I found they werent compatible with were rams and dwarf gouramis as they are both pretty fancy the betta would have a nip at them and in turn the much quicker rams and gouramis would have srveral nips at him!
The only fish ive found susceptible to being picked on and nipped by a betta are fancy guppys as they are equally as slow and also smaller.
Bettas will naturally chase smaller fish or anything with flowing fins but in my experience with what you have in your community after a week or so of the betta getting the run around and realising he's not gonna catch anything, the chasing should stop.
Hope this helps.

So a 2.5g would work ok instead of a five? I've seen those Mini Bows before, but don't they come with bad filters?

Attachments

• image-3370931213.jpg
    image-3370931213.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 44
it would work, a 5 would be better but bettas can do just fine in a 2.5 (better than those betta kits)

I find that with my cichlids at least they fight for the first day and once they astablish their teritory they will lay of fighting as much. But then again Iv never had a Betta, I really want to get one however I got my eye on a cool black and white one at the store. However the 10gallon Id put him in has Fancy Guppies in it and I dont think It would go over very well.

What if you put a divider in the 20 gallon until you find a tank for your betta? I think that or the breeder net would be better than the bowl, at least he's getting filtered/heated/aerated water. Just put a little floating plant over part of the breeder net and he should be ok for a while.
I've kept bettas in community tanks but my betta Klaus refuses to allow anything living in his tank. I've tried dwarf frogs, shrimp, even snails and no luck. He's patrolling a mini-bow 5 gallon right now. The filter doesn't do much but I do 75% pwcs at least once a week so it works fine for him.

What if you put a divider in the 20 gallon until you find a tank for your betta? I think that or the breeder net would be better than the bowl, at least he's getting filtered/heated/aerated water. Just put a little floating plant over part of the breeder net and he should be ok for a while.
I've kept bettas in community tanks but my betta Klaus refuses to allow anything living in his tank. I've tried dwarf frogs, shrimp, even snails and no luck. He's patrolling a mini-bow 5 gallon right now. The filter doesn't do much but I do 75% pwcs at least once a week so it works fine for him.

I agree with the idea to put a divider in the big tank until you have a tank for him. But don't prolong getting him his own tank!

Bettas are much too large for a 2.5 gal tank. Even a 5 gal will barely give him enough room. Since a 10 gal is usually cheaper or only a couple dollars more, I would go for that, if you have the room. 5 gals should be the absolute bare minimum for bettas IMO. A 2.5 mini bow usually costs more than a standard 10 gal and the filters the mini bow kits come with are really awful. Bettas originate from rice paddies in Thailand, which are up to thousands of gallons deep, so don't buy into all the crap about how they do great in small bodies of water.

I disagree with you, Erin. Although I totally agree that bettas do fabulously in ten gallon tanks, they are pretty expensive. I think that it really depends on the amount of space you have. i don't have a lot of room so I use smaller tanks. Bettas aren't really that big. Only king bettas are quite large. I agree completely that bettas are fish that need space. I just feel that my tanks are roomy enough. Bettas are good fish if you don't have enough room for fish that need more space like tetras.

I would have to agree. I'm sure bettas do great in larger tanks, I wish mine wasn't aggressive in my 20g. I am low on space though so another 10g won't work. I might just get a 2.5g mini bow eventually. Maybe i'll try the breeder net also.

ashleynicole said:
Mine love their 5 gallons.

Ya I saw the pics of yours in one of your threads. They look great. A 5g just might be a tad too big for me though.

Yeah get a mini bow. I hear the filter isn't very good. I just got mines so I'm still trying them out to see if they'll do, so you might want to be prepared to buy a different filter. That's the only fault. I think that 2.5 gallons is plently for a betta. One gallon is a little small that's why I'm switching. I recommend a 2.5.

What filter would you use in place of the mini bow filter since it's so small

Back
Top Bottom