Aqua clear 70 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ethan7474

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got a aqua clear and was wondering if I really need the carbon media? Also if I should turn it into a mini refugium?? (I have a 30gal tank wit a cpr skimmer )

Turn the ac70 into a mini refugium you mean? If i were going to do that i would get the 110. The carbon can be useful for removing chemicals from the water and that included medications after treating for illnesses but its properties dont doesnt last much longer than a month. I personally only use carbon after medicating.

Turn the ac70 into a mini refugium you mean? If i were going to do that i would get the 110. The carbon can be useful for removing chemicals from the water and that included medications after treating for illnesses but its properties dont doesnt last much longer than a month. I personally only use carbon after medicating.

Ok also what about the other medias? I heard if u replace them you'll lose ur beneficial bacteria that thrives in the medias

If you really wanted to turn an ac70 into a refugium you could but i dont think you would want to as theyre not quite big enough and much better used as they are.

Keep and rinse clean the media you're using with water from the tank during a water change as tap water will kill the bacteria. Also avoid cleaning everything in one go. Im not familiar with the supplied media with the ac70 but bio rings or balls are great forms of biological filtration and can be bought very cheaply on fleabay.

Last edited:
If you really wanted to turn an ac70 into a refugium you could but i dont think you would want to as theyre not quite big enough and much better used as they are. Keep and rinse clean the media you're using with water from the tank during a water change as tap water will kill the bacteria. Also avoid cleaning everything in one go. Im not familiar with the supplied media with the ac70 but bio rings or balls are great forms of biological filtration and can be bought very cheaply on fleabay.

So just rinse the media don't replace them right?. It comes wit the biological pellets, carbon and floss

So just rinse the media don't replace them right?. It comes wit the biological pellets, carbon and floss

Yes, no need to replace them. I don't use the carbon bag. You could do something like this (assuming weekly water changes):
1) On week 2 give the sponge a few good squeezes in the water removed during a water change.
2) On week 4 give the bag of bio pellets (ceramic media) a shake in the water removed during a water change.
This is just a suggestion.

Also, without the carbon you can use floss (loose fluff or pads) to fill the space giving you additional mechanical filtration. You can rinse the floss in tap water if you wish or toss and replace it.

Yes, no need to replace them. I don't use the carbon bag. You could do something like this (assuming weekly water changes): 1) On week 2 give the sponge a few good squeezes in the water removed during a water change. 2) On week 4 give the bag of bio pellets (ceramic media) a shake in the water removed during a water change. This is just a suggestion. Also, without the carbon you can use floss (loose fluff or pads) to fill the space giving you additional mechanical filtration. You can rinse the floss in tap water if you wish or toss and replace it.

Ok thanks!

Back
Top Bottom