aquarium salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard from my local lfs that this might help my tank. I've lost two male tuxedo guppies lately and I'd like to do what I can until I can get another master test kit. I've tested ammonia it reads 0 ppm (yellow in color) 55 gallon
Current stock
6 neon tetra.
6 neon glofish
2 Dalmatian mollies
1 bamboo shrimp
5 ghost shrimp
2 dwarf guarami
1 Chinese algae eater
I also have some live plants but I don't remember what they were other than they have low light requirements. My tank is in my dining room lower level and it gets some sun but not direct sunlight per se. I have a tetra 70 gallon hob filter and one long airstone built into my coral decoration and a 300 watt heater and digital thermometer. I was using aqueon aquarium plant food but have stopped fearing that might be my problem. I did a 40% pwc about 3 days ago and noticed him laying against my starfish decoration. I'm afraid of losing more fish. I've grown attached to this tank and its survivibibility. It started out as a goldfish mess tank and has grown into something I'm truly proud of. Due to the vast amount of knowledge on this site I'm happy to say aquariums are my new hobby. Thanks AA! Also I'd like to add I use Prime with all my pwc. I change my carbon filters but I do not change the bb filter.

NO. Never add aquarium salt unless it's needed to treat disease. FW fish do not needed added salt for any other reason. And actually neons are pretty sensitive to salt treatments so I would avoid salt with them always if possible.

Noticed who laying against a starfish decoration?

Have you added new fish recently? If so, did you QT them first?

I would upgrade your filtration. That filter is too weak for a 55 IMO.

Aquarium salt isn't needed for FW fish. You'll get a lot of debate, but most of it is based on perpetuated myth rather than factual data. It also happens to be a very high profit margin item for the LFS so take their advice (wait for it....) with a grain of salt.

I figured it would be like that. It was marketed pretty well..... a large jar filled with salt in every tank with a large sticker proclaiming "PETCO uses aquarium salt" definitely had the feeling of over reaching. No sale for my tank then. Thanks guys. Also another question my Dalmatian Molly is pregnant. How long does it take to give birth?

I have her in a little plastic hatchery I got from my lfs

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111102_132744.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111102_132744.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 91
siva said:
NO. Never add aquarium salt unless it's needed to treat disease. FW fish do not needed added salt for any other reason. And actually neons are pretty sensitive to salt treatments so I would avoid salt with them always if possible.

Noticed who laying against a starfish decoration?

Have you added new fish recently? If so, did you QT them first?

I would upgrade your filtration. That filter is too weak for a 55 IMO.

I plan to upgrade to a Fluval canister filter soon. Just trying to get the funds together.

Adding Salt to a Freshwater Tank

Hello iheart...

Standard aquarium salt has been used in fresh water tanks for decades as a general tonic for fish. I've used a teaspoon for every five gallons of my water change water since the practice was recommended for my "Livebearer" tanks about seven years ago. I've never had a disease in my tanks and I'm thinking it's because I use aquarium salt in the tank water.

If you think about your fish, they mainly get skin diseases. Most of the pathogens that cause these diseases can't survive in water with a trace of salt. When a fish gets "Ich", what's the main treatment? Heat and salt.

Aquarium salt is used to calm fish when you introduce them to a new tank enviornment. One of the reasons it's used, is water flows through a fish's gills easier with a trace of salt in the water. It makes breathing easier. There have been studies that have found a trace of aquarium salt in the water inhibits the affect of nitrites on tropical fish.

If aquarium salt is used in large amounts to treat a sick fish, it just makes sense to me to use a little, so the fish doesn't get sick in the first place.

Fish will survive without salt in the tank, but with a little they'll thrive!

As always just one "waterkeeper's" opinion.

B

Hello iheart...

Standard aquarium salt has been used in fresh water tanks for decades as a general tonic for fish. I've used a teaspoon for every five gallons of my water change water since the practice was recommended for my "Livebearer" tanks about seven years ago. I've never had a disease in my tanks and I'm thinking it's because I use aquarium salt in the tank water.

No proof of that and not all fish can or should be treated like livebearers.

If you think about your fish, they mainly get skin diseases. Most of the pathogens that cause these diseases can't survive in water with a trace of salt. When a fish gets "Ich", what's the main treatment? Heat and salt.

Fish don't have skin, nor do they get "skin" diseases. Ich is an external parasite.

Aquarium salt is used to calm fish when you introduce them to a new tank enviornment. One of the reasons it's used, is water flows through a fish's gills easier with a trace of salt in the water. It makes breathing easier. There have been studies that have found a trace of aquarium salt in the water inhibits the affect of nitrites on tropical fish.

Aquarium salt does not "calm" fish. It irritates their slime coat which theoretically allows fish to slough off external irritants. Nor does it make water flow easier through gills. It can impact osmosis though.

If aquarium salt is used in large amounts to treat a sick fish, it just makes sense to me to use a little, so the fish doesn't get sick in the first place.

If this approach were true, why not take penicillin everyday? Aq salt has no PROVEN prophylactic benefits.

Use of salt is a human decision. You are making false correlations and broad statements. We currently have somewhere around 100 species of FW fish and inverts, all without salt. Our fish are also "thriving" and by that I mean reproducing (livebearers, cichlids, tetra, etc).

B

Let the debate begin. :)

Hello iheart...

B
I shop at two stores that use salt in all of their tanks that regularly have outbreaks of ich and fungus.

I'm all for debates but anyone wanna comment on my Molly first lol

Mollies don't need salt. :)

Lol oh I'm aware now. I mean she's pregnant I believe. I posted the pic and a explanation of what's happening.

Since nobody bothered to answer my salt questions thread I will take some suggestions from this thread.
Thanks for debates, but still doesn't clarify.
Any more debates?

Since nobody bothered to answer my salt questions thread I will take some suggestions from this thread.
Thanks for debates, but still doesn't clarify.
Any more debates?

It is the personal choice of the fishkeeper based upon their experiences and knowledge.

I see, so in your opinion Mollies don't need salt.
This link here sais otherwise :
Mollies, Molly Fish - Poecilia sphenops
Any more suggestions so we can get a good average result?
Ty.

Sure...

Salt Use FW Art

The great salt myth

Is Aquarium Salt Necessary in My Freshwater Tank? | eHow.com

Even our neighbors to the North have it covered. ;)

Yahoo! Canada Answers - Is aquarium salt really needed for fresh water fish?

Mollies (and others) can be acclimated to full marine conditions if done gradually, BUT the mollies that are predominantly in the hobby are farmed in FW. Those collected in the wild are usually sold as such and generally need to start in conditions that recreate the salinity level (which needs to be measured with a refractometer or hydrometer).

Last edited:
HN1 said:
It is the personal choice of the fishkeeper based upon their experiences and knowledge.

Sure...

Salt Use FW Art

The great salt myth

Is Aquarium Salt Necessary in My Freshwater Tank? | eHow.com

Even our neighbors to the North have it covered. ;)

Yahoo! Canada Answers - Is aquarium salt really needed for fresh water fish?

Mollies (and others) can be acclimated to full marine conditions if done gradually, BUT the mollies that are predominantly in the hobby are farmed in FW. Those collected in the wild are usually sold as such and generally need to start in conditions that recreate the salinity level (which needs to be measured with a refractometer or hydrometer).

Thanks.

ihearty's Request for Advice

ihearty...

Would like to comment on the rest of your post. Sorry, got sidetracked with the whole "salt" thing. Good that you're testing your tank. Since I started weekly 50 to 60 percent water changes, I've stopped testing. So, I'm no help there.

You have a nice community tank. Flushing large quantities of fresh, treated water through your tank will ensure no toxins can build up and hurt your fish.

Your 70 Gallon HOB is enough filtration for a 55 G. HOBs are very efficient. If you're not already, change half the tank water every week. Sorry, I'm a water change fanatic!

I'd lose the airstone, unless you like the bubbles. Airstones provide very little gas exchange that's needed to get oxygen into the water and carbon dioxide out. Your HOB provides all the gas exchange needed.

You'll distribute the heat in your tank more efficiently if you use a couple of 100 watt heaters placed at opposite ends of your tank than the single 300 watt heater.

If you need any other info, just PM me any time. I'm never too busy to talk about the "waterkeeping" hobby.

B

Reactions: HN1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom