Aquarium stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeaceLoveFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I'm pretty new to the whole aquarium thing. Currently I have a ten gallon with 3 tiger barb. Will it be okay if I added 2 more and a red tail shark? Or will that be too crowded?

Your tank is too small for a shark. It is also too small for a school of tiger barbs.

Hi and welcome!
Absolutely not I'm afraid. Tiger barbs require schools of their own kind of 6+ and at least a 20gallon long tank for just them (no other fish). Red tail sharks require tanks 55g or more. They are aggressive and grow to 5-6 inches.
If you plan on keeping those barbs I suggest you up grade your tank to at least a 29g or more. If you can't upgrade I suggest you rehome them and buy fish more appropriate for your tank. (we can help you choose :))

Welcome to the site. Its awesome that you have a tank and are getting into the hobby. Warning though, fish keeping can be pretty addictive. :)
Unfortunately, as Mumma said, those fish are not ideally suited for a 10g tank. Sorry to say that because I know tiger barbs are pretty and fun. But their size, activity level, and behavior warrants a larger tank for the long term.
However, there are some really amazing fish that thrive in a 10g tank. :) In fact, there are quite a few of them.

Okay thank you guys for the advice. Looks like I'm going to have to get a bigger tank then!

Back
Top Bottom