At Long Last.... Sydney's Rimless Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been thinking about rigging up DIY co2. I have been dosing ferts. Tank still needs a lot of help and is looking pretty bad right now :/

Lots of diatoms, need to find the h2o2. I think the hygro has grown a little. I'm getting some more plants from fresh2o. Hopefully getting some plants that are actually healthy will help!!

Attachments

• image-1430042506.jpg
    image-1430042506.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1881203378.jpg
    image-1881203378.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 110
Looks like the glass can use a little scrubbing during the next pwc.

Have you rigged up DIY CO2 before?

Well...
I apologize for being MIA. Things for me have still been hard, so I haven't really been worried about coming on here. If anyone wants to know whats up, I can let you in over PM, I don't really want to put it on the forum :)

Tank is still the same. Only change is that I have some nice AR Mini from Fresh2o :)
No new growth, some diatoms, and holes in the leaves of the Hygro.

Well...
I apologize for being MIA. Things for me have still been hard, so I haven't really been worried about coming on here. If anyone wants to know whats up, I can let you in over PM, I don't really want to put it on the forum :)

Tank is still the same. Only change is that I have some nice AR Mini from Fresh2o :)
No new growth, some diatoms, and holes in the leaves of the Hygro.

Thanks for updating us! Hope things get easier for you. Keeping you in my thoughts! :)

Updated pictures! Not looking so great :/ What do I need to do to make it look better? There is a gigantic snail infestation too :/

Attachments

• image-1826891627.jpg
    image-1826891627.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2623695839.jpg
    image-2623695839.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3481672647.jpg
    image-3481672647.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1115016565.jpg
    image-1115016565.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1364909890.jpg
    image-1364909890.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3284820001.jpg
    image-3284820001.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 75
For the snail infestation some assasin snails will help. Maybe for making the tank look better have you thought about maybe going with some easier plants? Some of the plants you have are a little touchy and maybe replacing them with some dwarf crypts and some dwarf sag for the foreground and for the plantings in the back leave your hygro and maybe add some ludwiga of different kinds and some rotala nanjenshan (I have it and love it). Having a tank that has some successful plants can really give you some confidence and enjoyment. Just my take on it but you can always keep working on the plants you have.

Hi Sydney. Glad to see you around. You ever get the CO2 going? Anyways, hope whatever it is that's been going bad, outside of this hobby, gets better for you. Just think and be positive. :)

For the snail infestation some assasin snails will help. Maybe for making the tank look better have you thought about maybe going with some easier plants? Some of the plants you have are a little touchy and maybe replacing them with some dwarf crypts and some dwarf sag for the foreground and for the plantings in the back leave your hygro and maybe add some ludwiga of different kinds and some rotala nanjenshan (I have it and love it). Having a tank that has some successful plants can really give you some confidence and enjoyment. Just my take on it but you can always keep working on the plants you have.

I'd like to keep the AR mini. All the plants have holes in the leaves, so I'm obviously doing something wrong??

I'd like to keep the AR mini. All the plants have holes in the leaves, so I'm obviously doing something wrong??

This *usually* means a nutrient deficiency is occurring. Test the nitrate and phosphate. If you are using PPS Pro then you need to test diligently early on to make sure the dosing is correct. I tested nitrate and phosphate at the beginning only and did the default dosing for about 5 weeks. Later testing showed high nitrate (40-80) and low phosphate (1-2). The new leaves on the mini AR looked warped and wrinkled and the star repens had holes and leaf drop. I have adjusted dosing and it's better now (shooting for 10-20 nitrate and 3-4 phosphate) and there has been some improvement with the plants.

Hopefully others will chime in and provide a better explanation of what's going on and a recommend a plan to correct the situation.

If the holes are small to start and then expand on older leaves, it's a K deficiency. Easily corrected. Potassium is a mobile nutrient, so the plant will use all of the available potassium for the new growth, thus having the older leaves suffer.

I'm doing EI right now. I will test the phosphates and nitrates later! Just need to find my phosphate card... I think my mom might have thrown it away on accident.

Hi Sydney. Glad to see you around. You ever get the CO2 going? Anyways, hope whatever it is that's been going bad, outside of this hobby, gets better for you. Just think and be positive. :)

Never got the co2 going. Maybe I can do that Wednesday.

I'm doing EI right now. I will test the phosphates and nitrates later! Just need to find my phosphate card... I think my mom might have thrown it away on accident.

Here you go (don't laugh, it just might work!)...
2v2jHzG.jpg

Never got the co2 going. Maybe I can do that Wednesday.

Sometime the hardest part is getting a setup with no leaks. I can send you a bottle, lid with silicone tubing pulled through it (and bubble counter). Just holler. I found that silicone airline tubing pulled through a 3/8" drilled hole provides a very good seal.

I think the problem with my wrinkled mini AR leaves might be more of a lack of CO2 rather than high nitrate/low phosphate. Since switching from 2L to1L bottles the output is less than what I was used to. Plus I need to mix up more glut+water mix; have not added any in the last two weeks :(

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Thanks for the offer. I will get the stuff I need on Wednesday :)

The filter is leaking though :( From the bottom or the back, I am not sure. But I woke up with about a gallon if water on the floor. With more through the day :( Filter is off for now. :(

i have a long lasting c02 generator that is producing really well for me. ill post the receipe in a few. im also using champagne yeast and my tubing i got from the hardware store. its the same stuff thats used for ice machines.

Attachments

• SC20140305-065045.jpg
    SC20140305-065045.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 73
The Ludwigia has really grown in thick all of a sudden. I'll have to post a picture. The other plants- not so much :(

Back
Top Bottom