Back after 15 years...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcuellart

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys I am new to this forum but not as new with SW fish or setups... I have several questions regarding several posts that I have seen about Moorish Idols.
Back when I was in university I had an 90 gallon tank with live rock, a plenum and what you are now calling a fuge... I, very successfully kept a Moorish Idol for about 3 years and he was donated to my local aquarium when I moved :cry: ... Nowadays I see many of you guys not recommending these beautiful fishes, I agree these are extremely difficult to keep in captivity but it can be achieved when you are seasoned enough and if you do things right... I believe that the reason he thrived was that he was the only big fish besides a Harlequin Tusk fish in the tank. I had a pair of perculas maybe ocellaris back in those days you got whatever they had, and several gobies. I can almost surely say that having a Moorish Idol was very rewarding and am looking in getting another one now.

The problem here is that now my aquarium is a 75g one, so do you guys think that after a lengthy cycling process and getting everything done also having a stable environment, having a Moorish Idol all by itself with 2 or 3 smaller fishes be criminal???

I am thinking of exchanging my aquarium in 2 or 3 years to a 125 or 150 once my new house is finished.

Should I go for it, should I pass? There are only 3 fishes I really love and they are the Regal Angel, the Moorish Idol and the Lineatus tang. What should I do???
Please help me decide, I do want one of these three fishies in my tank.

TIA

Homero

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Ah...the forbidden fruit (aka the moorish idol). You are certainly in the manority with the success you have had with this fish. Personally, I have never tried to keep one but I have done a bit of reading. I really do not recommed keeping one in a 75 gal. This fish gets big and will be very cramped. From what I have read, they are best kept in groups of 3-5 in very large (500+ gal) tanks. They require lots of LR with a good sponge population for feeding. They also enjoy clams. If you decide to go ahead with this, please keep us posted on the progress. Allmost every story with this fish ends with it's death. It would be nice to hear about some success. Good luck.

the forbidden fruit

indeed..

i see a few of these in lfs and within days are gone.. i believe this is either
a) to the toilet bowl or
b) to the home aquarium/home toilet bowl..

ive heard really bad reviews about this fish and have never heard any good stories..

good luck!

Well guys, certainly not an easy fish to keep, but back then I indeed had a lot of LR and he kept on nipping on it. I still don't know if I will try soon, but when I do I will keep you guys posted.
Now on the other fishes listed, those too would be too big for a 75g right? Still have a lot of time to think what fish to go into my new tank.

Thanks Matt, Well as tank is still cycling, I have quite some time to see what will go into the tank...
Thanks again!!
Homero

Back
Top Bottom