bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemo01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does any one no the science behind what creates good and bad bacteria if so plz paint me a picture lol I can be slow sometimes

Welcome to AA!!! I am afraid your simple question requires a complex answer but Ill try to keep explanation easy. Basically, bacteria are everywhere- everything you touch, breath or consume. The majority of the bacteria that exist are not harmful despite what the zillions of hand/surface disinfectant commercials would have you believe.

In aquariums, there are 'good' bacteria that consume ammonia & nitrites & convert them to nitrates. Likewise, there are 'good' bacteria that live within most species intestinal tracts (humans & fish alike) that aid with digestion. Quite a large number bacteria are harmless unless something throws the natural balance off. A healthy fish with a good immune system can fight off most 'bad' bacteria as can a healthy human. An example is staph bacteria- they exist naturally on our skin but if they enter our bloodstream, it can be potentially fatal. Similarly, a simple scrape for most of us is no big deal but for an immune-suppressed person, it can be fatal.

A healthy aquarium with a working nitrogen cycle and regular water changes provides the best environment for healthy fish along with a good diet. Strong , healthy immune systems are the best defense against 'bad' bacteria for both fish & humans and will prevent the likelyhood of diseases related to 'bad' bacteria. Not sure if this helps answer your question but its the simplest answer I can offer!

Thanks I figured it wouldn't be a simple answer I have a 90gal tall tank it's a freshwater set up my wife does slot of the work it's kinda her hobby I am mainly interested in the science of it all such as the micro organisms and algae u no what creates what thanks for ur help friend hope we get to talk another time

Alot of science behind a simple a simple fishtank and pretty much every single thing that exists in nature! Dont hesitate to ask if you have more questions- everyone will try to help the best they can! :)

Back
Top Bottom