Beard Alage and getting rid of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, well on my 20g i had a little bit of beard algae that came in on a plant i am pretty sure. So that little piece has EXPLODED into a freakin tank that is hairy. When ever i got this stuff in any of my other tanks i would just scrub it off the rock and let it sit for a day in the sun and then put it back in the tank and everything is good. But i would have to scrub the whole tank on this 1. So what should i do to get rid of it?

Well, I've been fighting it myself but think I finally have it under control. I used Excel and did the first dose amount for 5 days straight. All of it has turned red (dead). Now I still need to clean it up a bit but hopefully it won't come back.

I'm going to have to get a new bottle of Excel... I have one tank that might be worse than Etunes. Had family over yesterday and my aunt thought the "black furry stuff" was pretty. lol

Well... the excel killed it. Now I'm struggling with how to clean it all up (I posted another thread about that myself). Most of mine is on a very large piece of drift wood. I'm just going to yank that out and scrub it. Stinks because I have plants rooted to it and I'll have to take off.

Well thanks guys, i guess one of my next purchases is excel.

Hydrogen Peroxide is better to use, beard algae is really a red algae so its not dying just becoming healthier.

Use a toothbrush to remove it.
If you dose HP directly to the BBA/BHA that will kill it but other then that unless you nuke the tank nothing really works, hardest one to get rid of.

What about the plants? Should i do a bleach dip at a 1:10 ratio?

Well, just an update for me... the excel seemed to kill all the BBA and I haven't had time to clean it up on my own. Well, this morning I looked at the tank and it looks like I didn't need to because I'd say 80-90% of it is just gone (think I need to clean my filter the second time in 1 week!).

Back
Top Bottom