beginner here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no i havnt bought a test kit and i was thinking about getting one but for one that does everything its like $30 if i see one cheaper i might get one but otherwise every time i go down to the nearest lfs i'm going to get it checked. i usually go down once or twice a month. and the some people have told me that the cycle in a bottle did work for them and they could put there fish in after about 2 days

You can get an Aquarium Pharmacuticals Master Test Kit from www.bigalsonline.com for $12.99 ($20 after Shipping). That's the cheapest I have ever seen it. It has 700 uses versus the 20 uses that you get with the test strips. We had ours for about a year and sold it to my brother and bought a new one. He still uses it, 4 months later, and hasn't has to replace any of the testing solutions.

i did get my fish- 1 dalmation lyre tail molly 1 black lyre tail molly 1 red tail shark 1 rainbow shark then a couple days later i got 2 orange wag tail platys and 3 frogs and i've been adding alittle more cycle in a bottle every day and changing 2 gallons everyday and everyones been happy in there. i know that its alot of fish to have in a 10 gallon but there all getting along good but the sharks are fighting alittle

So you have 2 Mollies, 2 Sharks, 2 Platties, and 3 Frogs. What type of frogs are they?

The Mollies definately need a bigger tank. 30 gal is recommended. They will get to be about 5 inches in length when they are full grown. This is a nice peaceful fish but needs swimming room in a larger tank.

The Red tail shark is a semi-aggressive fish. They also require a much larger tank than a 10 gal. They need the swimming space. The same is true for the Rainbow Shark. They will become aggressive towards your other fish and each other and will cause major problems. If I were you, I'd take back the sharks until you can get a 55 gal tank. They need the swimming space.

The platies are great choices. They will do fine in a 10 gal tank and only grow to about 2 inches.

In regards to the frogs, I'd really need to know what kind of frogs they are to be able to determine if they are ok to put in that tank.

Have you tested your water parameters yet? They may "seem" like they are fine, but they are probably stressed, the sharks the most. They are not meant to be in a tank that small. If the tank looks like it is stocked perfectly when viewing it, it is probably over stocked. I know, that sounds odd. But fish need their own space in a tank. They each need their own "spot". You have picked some good looking fish, but they just aren't compatible with your tank size.

Ditto as I agree that this 10gal tank is overstocked.

Debomb4u: You're fairly limited to quantities of fish with a 10gal. I think all of us started this hobby in a similiar way... small tank, throw LOTS of fish in and then wonder why so many of them die.
Fishyfanatic has a great suggestion with returning the sharks.

If you end up keeping all/most of the fish... after you're certain your cycle has ended and the tank has settled down... WEEKLY partial water changes become a must and check your filter weekly too cause an overstocked tank will yield more waste. Also, never rinse your filtration media with sink water... rinse in a bucket of water from your aquarium so you don't kill the beneficial bacteria.

That's actually how most of the veterans get away with over stocked tanks (I am guilty too!)... diligence w/the weekly (some do it twice a week!) water changes and maintenance. Those sharks may harass the rest of the inhabitants in such a small tank.

I'm curious to hear how this turns out later on. Good luck!

why do ya'll are always quick to tell someone get rid of there fish ? or make feel like they got there fish in jail.
if there taking care of em fine and none are dieing "whats the beef "? live every day like its our last.no?.enjoy your fish and set up tanks the way you like. don't gotta be by the book everytime.

Sometimes LIMentality420, people buy fish on impulse. I am as guilty as anyone else. In fact, I didn't start researching fish until after I had a tank full of African Cichlids and didn't know it. It's not that we are so quick to tell someone to get rid of their fish, it's just that we are giving advice on how to maintain a long term, healthy, stable environment for their fish. Some fish can not be mixed together. Sharks and Mollies being one of them. The sharks will tear them apart when they start to become overly aggressive. And that's the issue. They may be fine at this moment, but that doesn't mean that tomorrow they wil be fine.

We are just trying to prevent fish deaths. There is not a doubt in my mind that those sharks will kill one of the mollies or platties. And I'm speaking from experience. It's not being by the book, it is going from experience.

Example, look at my profile. I am keeping African's and South American Cichlids together. That is a big no no "by the book" but I tend to stray away from the beaten path sometimes. It's experimentation. It's just that it is hard and frustrating to start with the hobby of aquaria and lose a lot of fish. There were many times starting out that I wanted to scrap the entire thing because my fish kept dieing. They were eating each other. (Note: Oscars do NOT belong in a 10 gal tank with mollies or guppies) But it was because noone told me that what I was putting in the tanks wasn't proper for the tank size.

Unless debomb wants to buy a 55 gal tank, the sharks will not be happy. They NEED swimming space. And so do the Mollies. It is in their nature. Saltwater is in many ways different than Freshwater. BUT, it would be like getting a Moray Eel and putting it in a 10 gal tank with semi-adult clowns. Sure, it would live for a while, but eventually it will lash out and kill the other fish.

I don't know how much you know about the freshwater hobby, but before you make a post saying that we always tell people to take back fish, at least research the fish that are being discussed. And after you do, you will realize that the sharks do not belong in a 10 gal tank.

And debomb, it's not like we are telling you that you made bad choices because the lfs should have told you that those fish would not do well in a 10 gal tank. It's just that you should check out some fish profiles and see which ones interest you. Figure out if they will fit into your tank, and go from there. Don't buy fish on impulse. That is one thing that most people do. And I'll admit, I still do it, but I know what can and cannot go into my tanks.

I'm not trying to be rude or act like I know more information. It's just that people that are new to the hobby (not singling you out debomb) need some guidance. That's all. And tankmates are limited in a tank of that size. It's best to start off right than waste money and become irritated with the entire process. This is truly an enjoyable hobby and everyone should have a fish tank at some point in time in their life. But, you need guidance along the way.

Well put Fishyfanatic. When I think back to when I first set up my first tank, I just shake my head. Those poor fish. Boy, did I have alot to learn.

Exactly. And we are just trying to help people not go through the headaches that are involved with the most common newbie mistakes.

Another Newbie

Hi all- I have just started up a 29 gal fresh tank with an Eclipse top.
I have so far put in 4 Tiger Barbs, and intend to add another 2, or 3 more in a couple of weeks.
My intention is to eventually add about 4 angel fish.
Am I looking for trouble by mixing these two breeds :?

Thanks.

Green- You should start a new post in the forum. I realize that this is your first time on this site, and Welcome to AA!

hi the pet store people said that all the fish would do fine in the tank they are the best and biggest place in my area. the frogs are african dwarf and i knew not to get the albino clawed frogs. the sharks are smaller than the mollies and when the sharks chase the other fish the mollies chase the sharks away from the other fish. and all my fish are small the male molly is the biggest probally 1.5 - 2 inches. i havnt gotten my test kit yet but i am going to buy one online. the water was a little cloudy the past days but now is crystal clear. since i have the nutrafin cycle in a bottle i think that it has already cycled or just about done. how long does it take to grow alge?? my tank isnt in direct sunlight but during the day the room gets lite up. i've been watching them alot with 2 fluro bulbs but only leave the lights on while i'm watching them or feeding. i dont know if the kind of food i have helps but i have the tetra min and the tetra color and frozen brine shrimp. the reason i got so many fish is because once they get alittle bigger i'm going to get another tank or a bigger one. but i do have lots of hiding places and a bunch of plants.

I would suggest to buy the fish at the store and watch the eat BEFORE you buy them...make sure they dont have any defections at all you dont want to take home a deceased fish and kill everything... Dont take the salesman advice either... they are looking to sell they dont care about anything....also you said you wanted to get your fish ASAP...well take your time... i know all of this is overwelming right now but its worth it....make sure you read and ask alot of questions!!!its better to annoy people with questions than overwhelm yourself and not know what you doing

ya i have been researching these fish for like a month all of them but the frogs and platys i didnt plan on getting them really but they all fit under the same community and like all of the same things in a tank. but i guess the mollies and sharks need a little more room. the lfs wasnt just trying to sell me them they asked every question there is to ask about why i want fish and about what i have. its a shop that started in 1969.

i'm going to take a few pics soon and post them all of my rocks are ones that i found.... i live right on lake superior i boiled them for over 20 mins.

when people say gravel vac is that a little vaccum that you use? or is it just siphoning with a aquarium tube. i dont need to clean anything yet but just for future knowledge.

i think i am going to return the red tail shark. not because of what you guys have said just because he wont leave the rainbow alone. the rainbow is very peaceful and will go up to the other fish and gently smell them. i think hes looking for alge or something. but the red tail gets worse with chasing him every day the only problem is that i only go down to the nearest lfs area once or twice a month. and i've already gone twice this month. since i am only 15 its kind of hard to get places that are farther away.

Actually, the sharks are semi-aggressive. That's why I suggested that you return them. The mollies and platies are peaceful though.

ok now somthing i did not expect... i went to go look at my fish and i was looking around in the plants because my frogs love to jump into them and i found a little fish. its black so its my mollys fry. i dont know how many are actually around or have come out yet. i dont have a seperate tank yet or a breeding seperater. so what i was thinking was could i get a glass jar something that at the top it gets smaller than the base and put it inside trying to get as many fry inside ? i dont want to keep very much if any. but i dont want them to get sucked up or eaten. for now i'm going to clean out a jar very very well and put it inside and try to scoop up a few. i dont think i will get your feed back untill tomorrow night but what should i feed them. i have tetra fin tetra min tetra color and frozen brine shrimp. i was thinking crush some flakes up really really fine and sprinkle some on top or what.

Back
Top Bottom