Beginner to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That should be exactly what mine does. I opened it this morning before leaving for work, about 5 bps. Going to test pH when I get home see what it's dropped.

I thought they were cw species. They are cool.
The pictus would destroy shrimp. Aquatic arts is awesome. I got my latest shrimp there.
What does cw stand for? I relatively knew haha. And yeah, I thought he might . I will prob just get some snails. Just add a little more diversity to the tank. And it seems they serve a nice niche in the tank

Cold water.
Years ago I tried those clams in a 90g. Really cool but slowly died off. That was 20yrs ago probably was my lack of knowledge. But you always want to be careful introducing things from nature

Cold water.
Years ago I tried those clams in a 90g. Really cool but slowly died off. That was 20yrs ago probably was my lack of knowledge. But you always want to be careful introducing things from nature
Shew, 90g starting out. Sounds like u learned the hard way like me [emoji12].

Yeah, I'm in east KY and our streams of overrun with corbicula bivalves and physella snails. Both invasive. I am deep in the Applachian mountains, very secluded. The diversity is quite amazing and a field biologist dream. U fish lovers would be amazed at some of the native fishes in this region. Most of the cool ones are Cyprinidae but some really cool darters as well.

Anyways, I just placed a order with aquatic arts.

10 brown ramshorn and
Deluxe nerite snail pack (1 of every type nerite).

I couldn't resist from buying a plant. I ordered a purple/green cabomba. Any of yall familiar with that plant species?

Nice plant you will like it. We have alot of great native species in Florida too. I get up to TN often so its a great area.

Nice plant you will like it. We have alot of great native species in Florida too. I get up to TN often so its a great area.
I took a graduate course through UNC in highlands North Carolina. It was a advanced icthology course specializing in southern Applachian fishes. We spent a lot of time in TN. Amazing fish diversity. If you ever get bored research Conservation fisheries incorporated (CFI). They breed endangered species in captavity. They collect fertilized eggs thoughout the entire known reach of the species to entice genetic diversity, health and reproduction. They have successfully bred and raised in aquariums many endangered species and completely rehabilitated many species in the wild. If your in Knoxville and u love fish then I recommend stopping by. Those guys know a thing or two about aquariums haha they have about 300 of them in there.

Ok, im.considering upgrading to a canister filter.

Currently, I'm running two aquatech HOB. One 40-60 gallon and one smaller 10-20 gallon I think.

They are really gummed up though and ain't pushing much water out of them. I don't want to.completely change the filters bc of the established bacteria I have in them. They also have the white "biofilm" substance all over them.

Any advice? Do u prefer the canister filters? If so what kind. It's a 55 gallon.

I like canisters on bigger tank. I like all the media they hold and the ability to have in line equipment.

Have you tried to clean yours aqua clears are the best hob imo. I'll clean mine usually once a month. Also parts are readily available.

I like canisters on bigger tank. I like all the media they hold and the ability to have in line equipment.

Have you tried to clean yours aqua clears are the best hob imo. I'll clean mine usually once a month. Also parts are readily available.

+1 on canisters. You can keep the bigger hob and replace the smaller one with a canister. No need to get anything fancy as it's just a box that holds media and pumps water.

Sun sun canisters are a cheap alternative and extremely silent. I recently brought a 200gph canister for $80 Aus. That's about $60 US.
Plenty of parts available aswell.

Yes didnt wanna get beat on by fx6 crew. But I got a sun sun. 67.00 full of media on amazon.

Yes didnt wanna get beat on by fx6 crew. But I got a sun sun. 67.00 full of media on amazon.

I've actually heard the fx6 isn't that great. A lot of reviews say that people have had a few issues with them and they are pretty loud.

Although I am a big fan of fluval. I've got a 205 canister that is a absolute machine ;)

I found a sunsun HW303B on amazon for $62 free shipping. Just a touch more than for the 270gph version. Reviews I watched said if it's rated for 370, u might get 250. Guess for $10 extra I would rather have the bigger one.

Also, seen lots of people using lava rock as medium. I would certainly do this if it's appropriate?

My HOB filters are gummed up within a few weeks usually. Those filters get expensive after biweekly changes and I'm tossing my bacteria.

Another question, I was going to get a drop checker, but I read that if using flourish Excell it will give inaccurate readings? Is this true?

I have 303b. Its good filter. I've used lava rock. But prefer sponges.
Excel is a carbon source/algaecide. It is not co2 thus will not register on a drop checker.

I have 303b. Its good filter. I've used lava rock. But prefer sponges.
Excel is a carbon source/algaecide. It is not co2 thus will not register on a drop checker.
10-4! I just seen where someone commented that on a review for the drop checker. Wanted to check with u guys first.

I'm going to have to stop by a old employeer and hijack their lab to.make the 4dKH solution. I don't have anything accurate enough at my house, I don't think.

You can make your own based upon what ppm you want mine is set at 15ppm. I cant remember the recipe. I got it from hoppy. Fresh, bert, or cal probably know it.

You can make your own based upon what ppm you want mine is set at 15ppm. I cant remember the recipe. I got it from hoppy. Fresh, bert, or cal probably know it.
I should be able to make my own, I will just need a graduated cylinder or something for the measurements.

I should be able to make my own, I will just need a graduated cylinder or something for the measurements.

There is plenty of YouTube vid's on how to make it. I just made mine with a measuring jug and it came out fine. As long as your pretty close it shouldn't make to much difference

Back
Top Bottom