Beginner to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a finnix 27/7, 55 gallon, and I ordered a drop checker today. I am running a DIY co2 (citric acid/baking soda). Bubble counter at about 6 bubbles per second. DKH is 7, pH 7

Tank has been running a little over 2 weeks with the new setup. Co2 only a week. Ammonia and nitrite zero within hours of scape. Already had established bacteria

Yah.. diy really won't help that tank. You need a pressurized right to do it right. Than again that light isn't going to push you into the demanding range. Are you dosing ferts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, flourish, flourish excell, and flourish trace. It is capable of putting quite a bit of co2 in the water. In 6 hours I was running it wide open and it dropped the pH by a standard unit. Shut off the co2 and turned on the bubble stone and within hours it was back to equal to or greater than 7.6. It's a decently effecient diy co2 generator

Yah.. diy really won't help that tank. You need a pressurized right to do it right. Than again that light isn't going to push you into the demanding range. Are you dosing ferts?

I'm wanting to upgrade to pressurized bit I just bought that light [emoji20] . If the light isn't strong enough to support a high c02 demand, I would just be pissing in the wind wouldn't I?

I turned the light on Max. Keeping the co2 pumping. Figured that would be best for a little longer tonight where I added the new plants? Kinds kick start them?

I wouldn't adjust the lighting at all you'll bring on a bloom. The plants will adjust to your current lighting etc just fine :)

I'm wanting to upgrade to pressurized bit I just bought that light [emoji20] . If the light isn't strong enough to support a high c02 demand, I would just be pissing in the wind wouldn't I?
I don't think so, I'm a big fan of medium tech setups!

I think pressurized is going to be my next upgrade. Iv spent a lot getting started already [emoji16]. I'mma have to hold of on that for a little bit. I just don't want to go to pressurized if I can't benefit from it based on the light setup iv got.

I agree with brook. I'd save your penny's and get a pressurised. DIY is ok but it tends to fluctuate a fair bit. It will be fine untill you can afford a pressurised system.

You'd be amazed at how much difference it will make.

I wouldn't adjust the lighting at all you'll bring on a bloom. The plants will adjust to your current lighting etc just fine :)
Im.going to set it back up on the 24/7 mode at 9. That's what iv been running for a week now. The first week I kept it on Max until bed then just put it on moonlight.

Things are looking pretty good though, especially compared to my first attempt [emoji23] .

The snails are loving life!

Did you get any red ramshorn.
No, they were sold out [emoji17]. Im kinda hoping they multiply in the tank. I read on aquatic arts if they get out of control u can add a few assassin snails and it will keep the population in check. That just sounds badass [emoji15]

If you feed fish properly I never feel like im over ran. They always seem to kinda balance themselves out.

If ya want them out trap them. Water bottle with couple rocks and a piece of veggie. Once full dump and repeat until your happy.

If you feed fish properly I never feel like im over ran. They always seem to kinda balance themselves out.

If ya want them out trap them. Water bottle with couple rocks and a piece of veggie. Once full dump and repeat until your happy.
I feed them properly. Maybe more than I should but they always eat it all. I like the snails so I don't think I will have any issues with them.

So, I have one fish. It's a salt pepper speckled looking mollie. Bought him along with several other fish last weekend at LFS. All other fish are fine but this one in particular looks like he has some type of infection. Some small white patch looking spots on his fins. He has acted funny as well. It almost like he is to heavy to swim. If he swims up he will stop and sink right back down. I thought he was going to pull out of it but I'm concerned now for my other fish. I thought about isolating him in a bag in the tank and treating the bad water with some icth treatment. Any thoughts?

Not much of a fish dr. If its ich raise temp to 86 for two weeks if other fish can take it. Mollies are hard water who tolerate salt. One of the few fish id say a salt bath is acceptable for.

Not much of a fish dr. If its ich raise temp to 86 for two weeks if other fish can take it. Mollies are hard water who tolerate salt. One of the few fish id say a salt bath is acceptable for.
The're several other mollies in there that are fine. Actually came from the same tank at the LPS. I will see what I can do.

The're several other mollies in there that are fine. Actually came from the same tank at the LPS. I will see what I can do.

Ya just a bought with ich myself. Was devastating at first to all my fish but I went and got some "jungle treatment" ich tablets. They worked like a charm. Took about a week and it cleaned out my tank completely of ich and my fish are healing very nicely. Water changes are a must. I did about 1/2 every other day Turning up the heat like he had mentioned will help speed up the process and reduce the life span of the ich. Good luck!

I don't think it's ich because it's only one fish. I done some research and I think it's "fin rot". Suppose to be common with mollys. The spots are on all the fins of the one fish. Nothing on its body. I'm going to isolate the fish and treat it. Hope I can get it back to health.

Treatment for fin rot is pristine water. Lots of frequent water changes. It works

Back
Top Bottom