Best Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a tank with 3 angels, 1 betta, 2 clown loaches and an oto. I'm having an algae problem probably due to my high phosphates (which I'm trying to control by minimizing food and phosphate sponge).

Do you all have a favorite food to feed your fish that produces less waste? I'm currently feeding Wardleys betta and flakes, and do find that my fish poop a lot. Any recommendation on good brands and types?

Carolyn

Carolyn, do you have any plants in your tank? Flake foods are fine if you are feeding properly. I use Nutrafin, basically the same as Wardleys. What is your Ph level? Do you perform weekly PWC's?

Omega One is extremely high quality food, and Hikari also makes good food. Vary the diet with frozen and freeze dried now and then and your fish will be very happy indeed.

*Menagerie taps on my shoulder* Oh! Don't forget the veggies! :wink:

Basically you're asking two questions:
Is there a relationship between fish food brands and phosphate levels/algae growth?
and
What brand of food would you recommend?

To answer the first question, I'd have to say probably not. Excessive algae growth is almost always caused by
1)too much nutrients in the tank caused by overfeeding
2)insufficient removal of wastes caused by inadequate filtration or infrequent water changes and gravel vacs
3) too much light

The answer to the second question is a matter of opinion, but it's best to read the label before you buy. Fish foods brands are just like dog food brands - some of them contain undigestible fillers or less nutritious ingredients. Foods that have fish meal, feather meal, or wheal flour as the top ingredients are not as nutritious as those that list fresh seafood, kelp, or spirulina as their first five or six ingredients.

IMHO, Omega One, Hikarri, and Ocean Nutrition make the best fish food products.

Back
Top Bottom