best schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Praecox Rainbowfish are pretty cool. I have a few and they sure school tighter than my neon tetras, and they're really fun to watch.

4 angels in a 47??
I wouldnt do it

Maybe if theres lots of plants breaking up the line of sight

I originally bought 8 rasboras and 6 cardinals. Having seen them, I now want 10 more harlequin rasboras.

I would do any of the following depending on tankmates and tank size

any species rainbowfish........minimum of 6 for them to show better behavior....
praecox(dwarf neon)
boesemani
red irian
yellow something(forgot)

any rasbora
harlequins
micros/nanos

tetras
green neons(u could easily do 75 in a 55G with a pair of rams)
neons
cardinals
glo-lite
red eyes
rummys
etc.

my personal favorite schoolers are the rainbows(boesemanis;))

and the coolest ones are hatchets;)

Would this group work:
3 more angels to make 4.
3 cory
8 cardinal tetras

In 47 gallon planted tank

yeah;)

but ur going to have issues once they pair off

i would sex them b4 buying them and get all females NOT males.......and btw, u realize they get pretty big.....i have a breeding pair(7" fins, and 3.5" bodies), giant!
i would do a trio max.......JMO:)

instead of cardinals u could do 2X the amount of green neons IF u start with smaller angels as they will grow up with them and won't eat them
and up the corys to 4 minimum;)(

I originally bought 8 rasboras and 6 cardinals. Having seen them, I now want 10 more harlequin rasboras.

Aqua - why is it that you prefer the harlequin?

If my tank ever completes it's cycle I too will be looking for schooling fish and love both the Harlequin's and the Cardinal's, but I'm in a 29 Gallon and I'm afraid I'll have to pick one or the other...

So I'm interested to learn your preferences.

dude;)^
get 2X more fish if u get green neons, basically nano-cardinals or small neons;)

they max out at 1/2" and u can do like 50 in a 29G with decent filtration;)

i would do like 16 it would look awesome!

TheFishBoss97 said:
yeah;)

but ur going to have issues once they pair off

i would sex them b4 buying them and get all females NOT males.......and btw, u realize they get pretty big.....i have a breeding pair(7" fins, and 3.5" bodies), giant!
i would do a trio max.......JMO:)

instead of cardinals u could do 2X the amount of green neons IF u start with smaller angels as they will grow up with them and won't eat them
and up the corys to 4 minimum;)(

If you do a trio when two pair up the other will be left out and probably get bullied.

If they pair in groups why is it suggested not to get just two?

because if u don't know how to sex em and end up with 2 males, one will end up dying from fighting or stress/wounds

to sex em, there are many articles on looking at the vents..........

i wouldn't get a pair.....sorry, i wasn't clear.......by trio, i meant of females....NO males

pairs will kill other tankmates like schoolers..........

and u can't make a pair, the male chooses the female......otherwise it would be like an arranged marriage(impossible in fish world;))

I dont believe your information is absolute. Plenty of people have mated pairs with other fish. And my pair doesnt harm my fish.

And i also "arranged their marriage"
So cleary its not impossible.

Nothing is impossible

Ok, so Basically it comes down to eat setup and the personality of the fish and the experience of the keeper. I'm gonna stay on the safe side and keep it at one. Maybe when I get more experience and knowledge I'll try more.

Back
Top Bottom